• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Humans VS Elves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Hi.

I was a bit bored, and tried to make in WE a battle between humans and elves:

humanosvselfos.jpg

I wait for your opinions to improve the picture.

Regards

Level 9
Well, maybe the picture isn't clear enough, but they are not starring eachother. They are charging eachother. In the map, at the moment I captured the screen, they were running to the center of the river.

The battle is inminent, okay... If I make them fight, the picture would be a bit confusing, don't you think?
Thanks for answering. I wait for more opinions.

Regards

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Team color and terrain art just don't match, they should be at least a couple gazillion pages apart in a terrainer's dictionary. Speaking of clashing, the river rushes. How can you possibly look at those in contrast to the otherwise dark and gloomy terrain and go "yep, that's it"? Not really a dull scenery though, could look quite well if you replaced all the units and focused a tad more on the lighting. Stars and some pale blue/purple tones ought to do the trick.
Sky Green said:
3 moons? Okay...
Imagination? Okay...

This isn't a battle, they should already be fighting, [...] I would like to see them fighting and not just starring at eachother
I'm glad you didn't judge the eleventh terraining contest. Battle is more than clusterfuck, intestines, explosions and calamity. And for that matter, so is art. If you ask an artist to draw a straight line, he'll do anything but. If you ask him why, he'll question your interpretation of a straight line. If there's one phrase you commonly hear alongside all kinds of art, it's "thought-provoking" - so how would you provoke thought by portraying the mundane and "expected"?

Consider the expression "Art is a lie that brings us nearer the truth" - The lie that is mentioned could be that art is a simulation. The truth can be found in the eye of the beholder, you interpret the simulation as an expression of reality. It could also be interpreted that art distorts reality in order to emphasize certain features of it. This would imply that art is dishonest, but it does point out truths that the beholders would not observe otherwise.

Rant aside, know that we're dealing with art in any case. Sure a battle could be interpreted as typical warfare and calamity, but I'd consider such a simple phenomenon as a conflict of opinions to be a battle. Don't neglect art because it doesn't fit your interpretation.
          

Last edited:
Level 9
Hi, sorry for taking so long to answer.

I tried to improve the picture a bit more, using some of your advice... I removed the team color, made the river and the shrubs darker, and changed the color of the fog.
Is it better now?

Regards

Attachments

• Humanos VS Elfos 1.2.jpg
    Humanos VS Elfos 1.2.jpg
    547.5 KB · Views: 674
Level 18
This is great with the animations. the actual units are awesome.

The environment needs work. Not sure exactly what you want to pull off, but grab a custy sky and slight fog. Since Nighttime is harder to create, you should just switch the entire thing into a daylight mood.

Status
Not open for further replies.