• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] How would I word this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
So I made this spell for a hero where when the ability is active (Immolation), all of his attacks deal bonus magic damage equal to a percentage of the damage he dealt. So say he dealt 100 damage with an attack, the spell would deal an additional 10 spell damage at level 1 (10%), 20 spell damage at level 2 (20%), up to 50 spell damage at level 5 (50%). The problem is, how would I word this in tooltips without making it long and wordy? :vw_death:

This is the current tooltip that I am using, but it really doesn't make much sense to me.
The Gladiator arms his attacks with his determination, increasing their effectiveness. All attacks by the Gladiator deal increased damage.

Level 1 - 10% Damage
Level 2 - 20% Damage
Level 3 - 30% Damage
Level 4 - 40% Damage
Level 5 - 50% Damage

Target Type: Instant, Toggle
Damage Type: Magical
Cooldown: none
Mana Cost: 3/6/9/12/15

The trigger is here if anyone really needs it. It uses Bribe's DDS system.
  • Lethal Strike
    • Events
      • Game - DamageEvent becomes Equal to 1.00
    • Conditions
      • (Unit-type of DamageEventSource) Equal to Gladiator
      • DamageEventType Equal to 0
      • (DamageEventTarget is alive) Equal to True
      • (DamageEventTarget is A structure) Not equal to True
      • (DamageEventTarget belongs to an enemy of (Owner of DamageEventSource)) Equal to True
      • (DamageEventSource has buff Lethal Strike ) Equal to True
    • Actions
      • Set Lethal_Strike_Integer = (Level of Lethal Strike for DamageEventSource)
      • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
        • If - Conditions
          • (Integer((Mana of DamageEventSource))) Greater than or equal to (Lethal_Strike_Integer x 3)
        • Then - Actions
          • Set DamageEventType = 1
          • Unit - Cause DamageEventSource to damage DamageEventTarget, dealing (DamageEventAmount x (0.10 x (Real(Lethal_Strike_Integer)))) damage of attack type Spells and damage type Normal
          • Floating Text - Create floating text that reads (+ + (String((DamageEventAmount x (0.10 x (Real(Lethal_Strike_Integer))))))) above DamageEventTarget with Z offset 0.00, using font size 10.00, color (0.00%, 100.00%, 100.00%), and 0.00% transparency
          • Floating Text - Change (Last created floating text): Disable permanence
          • Floating Text - Set the velocity of (Last created floating text) to 64.00 towards 90.00 degrees
          • Floating Text - Change the lifespan of (Last created floating text) to 3.00 seconds
          • Floating Text - Change the fading age of (Last created floating text) to 2.00 seconds
        • Else - Actions

Level 5
"The gladiator's determination increases his damage dealt with 10% /20% /30% /40% /50%

wont get much shorter than that.

My only issue with that is that the spell deals a separate instance of damage that is magical. Personally, I think that is a very important detail to note since magic damage doesn't get reduced by armor, and since it's separate, it won't be included in critical attacks. Of course, I could just be overreacting. :ogre_rage:

Level 24
I would make it like this: (If you want to add the percentages to the text, you can remove the level X: ..% thing.)

"The Gladiator's determination enhances his basic attacks, dealing an additional percentage of the physical damage as magic damage.

Level 1: 10%
Level 2: 20%
Level 3: 30%
Level 4: 40%
Level 5: 50%"

Level 29
"The Gladiator empowers the enchantment on his weapon, dealing bonus damage with each attack. Adds a percent of physical damage dealt as bonus magic damage. The added magic damage ignores armor and doesnt get added upon a critical hit.
Level 1: Adds 10% of physical damage dealt as bonus magic damage.
Level 2: Adds 20% of physical damage dealt as bonus magic damage.
Level 3: Adds 30% of physical damage dealt as bonus magic damage.
Level 4: Adds 40% of physical damage dealt as bonus magic damage.
Level 5: Adds 50% of physical damage dealt as bonus magic damage.

Toggled ability
Cooldown: N/A
Activation mana Cost: 3/6/9/12/15
"

Level 5
"The Gladiator empowers the enchantment on his weapon, dealing bonus damage with each attack. Adds a percent of physical damage dealt as bonus magic damage. The added magic damage ignores armor and doesnt get added upon a critical hit.
Level 1: Adds 10% of physical damage dealt as bonus magic damage.
Level 2: Adds 20% of physical damage dealt as bonus magic damage.
Level 3: Adds 30% of physical damage dealt as bonus magic damage.
Level 4: Adds 40% of physical damage dealt as bonus magic damage.
Level 5: Adds 50% of physical damage dealt as bonus magic damage.

Toggled ability
Cooldown: N/A
Activation mana Cost: 3/6/9/12/15
"

I like your idea. Just checked it out in WE/ingame, and it isn't overwhelming. You are a genius. Thank you guys for trying to help out.

Status
Not open for further replies.