• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

how to reduce map lag

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
owkey ive created a map which is very big and full of doodads and unfortunately its getting so damn laggy from time to time so u can't play it after 15 minutes of the game. if i play the map alone it's much better but after about 20 min i realized a every-2-second lag

more players => more lag

i allready looked for triggers whith a periodic event but there is no one which could cause the lag

unfortunately the map is in german so it can't be found here

now the question: what can be the reason for the lag?

Level 5
There could be other triggers which could cause leaks, you can check the sticky at the top of the page. The doodads/large size won't help the lag, but theres not many options there outside of removing them or reducing the size of the map.

Can you show some triggers that you commonly use that may be contributing to the leaks?
(Especially if they have to do with multiple player interactions)

Level 12
I always want to know:

I have a hero arena map, and many of the spells are triggered, take 2-4 triggers each spell.
But, if that hero never got selected, its useless to have these trigger on.
It will reduce lag let these trigger off and turn them on if the unit enter playable map area?

Level 17
I'm not sure about that Saishy, you might want to ask someone more experienced, but:
I believe they don't cause much lag since they must use very, very little of your computer's resources, but they do use anyways.

One thing is sure: you can also destroy triggers. So, I would suggest you to destroy triggers you don't use or use only once.

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
You can attach your map to the thread if you wish, as this is dealing with the map and its constructed contense rather than the language of text in the map.

Lag is ussually caused by 1 or more of 3 things.
1. Leaks
2. Triggers that are too unefficent
3. Too many objects in constant interaction

Learning to JASS properly will solve 2/3 of the problems.

As for problem 3, that can only be solved by thinking carfully about your map and making sure you do not have 1000s of units in combat or preforming actions.

I think it is probably leaks. Remove all leaks and the lag increase rate should steeply decrease. Converting to JASS and removing GUI's usless functions / function calls will also greatly improve preformance to levels where hardly any lag can be noticed for doing a lot.

Level 8
hmm i've reached the doodad and the neutral unit limit.

1\2 of the very numerous triggers are conquer triggers which are very long and always very similar. the problem was that i have to remake all these triggers in order to get one.

Yust look yourselv under the category Orte -> Einnehmen (1 - about 34)

i wanted to translate the map but because of so many "einnehmen" - triggers it was too much

Attachments

• Merchants and Conquerors.w3x
    2 MB · Views: 137
Level 13
first of all you can remove lots of trees and rocks where you have large groups, or which are out of camera borders, you can delte 500-1000 doodads that way, but i doubt thats the major problem, your conquer triggers might be a problem if more of them are executed the same time and, main thing, they are full of leaks, which i think causes you lag, check the tutorial to remove them, although it will be lot of work, your concept looks pretty good so it will be worth it
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/s...what+are+leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.