• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Crash] How to Read and Fix Fatal Errors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
I'm getting a fatal error with an ability that doesn't happen everytime I cast it. In fact, I can use it plenty of times before it crashes. Sometimes I only have to use it a couple times before it crashes. Even when I use it without any enemies in the AoE of the ability, it crashes.

Edit: I believe the issue may have been 3 unit group leaks I just found (I thought I cleaned up after myself). Regardless, I'd still like to know how to read a fatal crash log if anyone could inform me.

Attachments

• War3Log.txt
    4.9 KB · Views: 47
  • Crash.txt
    31.3 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Level 11
I can't find a tutorial with google or by looking through the hive. I'm still getting fatals and I don't even know where to begin. I want to read the log and get a clear understanding of what the problem is. I've added new logs below.

Attachments

• Crash.txt
    31.2 KB · Views: 55
  • War3Log.txt
    5 KB · Views: 40

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Without access to the build symbols and source code, which only Blizzard has, such files are of very limited use. For example I cannot get any useful information from them.

It might be a good idea to debug the spell. Set up an automated cast test case. For example have dummies cast the spell multiple times per second against various targets. If this reliably recreates the crash after some period of time then one can start looking into diagnosing the cause by manipulating the triggers until the crash stops or happens more/less frequently.

Level 11
Without access to the build symbols and source code, which only Blizzard has, such files are of very limited use. For example I cannot get any useful information from them.

It might be a good idea to debug the spell. Set up an automated cast test case. For example have dummies cast the spell multiple times per second against various targets. If this reliably recreates the crash after some period of time then one can start looking into diagnosing the cause by manipulating the triggers until the crash stops or happens more/less frequently.
I managed to figure out the source of the crash here. Also, that sucks that there isn't any useful information from these logs.

Level 5
At some point after blizzard came back, they ruined the crash logs to the point where they are basically useless now. There is no stack dump anymore, which often contained the name of the jass function that caused the crash, and because of their new anti-cheat-system you can't put a breakpoint at the crash location anymore either.

If you have a chance to downgrade to an earlier version of warcraft before they screwed that up, you might get some useful information out of them, but right now you're out of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.