Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Fatal Error Crash

Discussion in 'World Editor Help Zone' started by Verb8im, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Verb8im

Verb8im

Resources:
    Resources:
    So I finished my redone campaigns a couple weeks ago. However, I can't really play some of them now. Starting from the end cinematic of Chapter 8 of the Orc Campaign, By Demons Be Driven, every time I get close to triggering the end cinematic of the map, I get a fatal error crash. So before Thrall even touches the ritual circle, it crashes. I went on to the night elf campaign and the same thing happened. Before the killing blow landed on the Paladin in the first chapter, it crashed. I'm not using custom triggers at the end, just in the beginning if it needs it and different models, so I have no idea whats causing it. The rest of the map is fine. The starting cinematic works, and the rest of the map works, it's just a split second before the end cinematic is supposed to trigger that it crashes.

Can anyone help, or have had this problem before?

2. andreasaspenberg

andreasaspenberg

Resources:
    Resources:
    what is the error message you get?

3. Verb8im

Verb8im

Resources:
    Resources:
    This is the message I get

Attached Files:

4. andreasaspenberg

andreasaspenberg

Resources:
    Resources:
    that is a memory access problem. try running the game in windows 2000 compatibility mode. that worked for me when i had that error message.

5. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Possible infinite loop? Almost all crashes in WC3 are segmentation faults (access violation) so what andreasaspenberg said is not generally a solution.

6. Verb8im

Verb8im

Resources:
    Resources:
    So how do I fix it? And why is it happening? All of the other maps in the other campaigns work fine, except from the end of the Orc Mission 8 and onward

7. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Try clearing game caches in-case corrupted values are in them.

Honestly this sort of error has so many possible causes one cannot even start to guess which from that crash message. The only thing significant about it is the 0 address which either means a null array at index 0 or a struct member at offset 0. Both of which are meaningless unless they can be matched up to a similar error and chances are they may vary from system to system and run to run anyway.

8. Verb8im

Verb8im

Resources:
    Resources:
    How do I clear the game caches? And will I lose anything if I do?

9. andreasaspenberg

andreasaspenberg

Resources:
    Resources:
    you could try my solution first because if it works your problem is solved.

10. Verb8im

Verb8im

Resources:
    Resources:
    Didn't work

11. andreasaspenberg

andreasaspenberg

Resources:
    Resources:
    ok, i am out of ideas and unable to provide any other solutions.

12. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Breakdown what events are firing when the game crashes. Being a cinematic it is possible the setup is causing a crash (eg creating an invalid unit or model). It is also possible some of the actions are causing the crash (trying to do something to a null handle with a non-robust native).

If you are an x86 assembly guru you can also reverse-engineer what causes the crash from the code executing and the stack trace/register state of when it crashes. However this will probably take several hours/days of work and requires you are proficient with assembly languages.

13. edo494

edo494

Resources:
    Spells:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    did you use Jass or vJass in your map?

DSG is wrong.

There are 2 kinds of infinite loops:
    1.) Jass loop
    - Basicially you make
    loop endloop
    without exitwhen. This is however very easily caught by the interpreter, because every action you do increases its internal variable by some value(varying by the operation), and when the variable reaches big enough value(200,000 afaik), it will just say "fuck it, Im outa here" and kill the executing Jass "branch"(Im not going to call it thread, its misleading). The others can run fine tho(like another event, or timer callback or such).
    2.) Backend infinite loop
    - Can be caused by things like "Unit enters region X; Create unit at (Random position inside region X)". However it can not be this crash either, because the game goes down without warning or anything. It just shuts down immediately.

14. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Two common kinds. There are various other infinite loops which cause the game to crash in all manner of ways.

For example messing up dependency equivalence for buildings resulting in cyclic dependencies will cause a crash when you open a builder command card (requirements evaluated).

Certain object creation loops will cause an out of memory crash as the game rapidly shoots to the virtual memory limit.

There used to be an old stack overflow crash where if you issued enough orders it would evaluate them with a nested call (a type of loop). This would cause everyone to crash but the hacker running a modified WC3 executable with larger stack size. This was fixed by limiting the maximum number of queued orders to something reasonable.

An infinite loop of an array of pointers could cause the above if it tries to dereference 4 bytes of 0. Obviously peeking at the assembly will easily reveal if it was a loop or not. Running a debugger could even give you some idea of where the crash is happening based on what values are on the stack.

15. edo494

edo494

Resources:
    Spells:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Yes, you are right, I was more in the spectrum of Jass only.

16. Verb8im

Verb8im

Resources:
    Resources:
    I'm not making my own maps, just redoing the blizzard ones. So nothing that I can think of. I'm not using Jass or anything else. That's all Blizzard. The only thing I'm doing is adding in heroes, using different models/skins, and triggers for the new heroes if they need it

17. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Are any new skins or models first visible in the cinematic? The crash could easily be caused by a corrupted asset.

18. Verb8im

Verb8im

Resources:
    Resources:
    In the beginning cinematics, yes. I replaced some of the main characters models and skins, so in the ending cinematics, if they're in the scene, then also yes. Can I try to post the map itself so you can play it and see if you can figure it out there. Maybe playing it will help

19. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Could you post a replay of it up to the point it crashes? This would make things much easier to test.

20. Verb8im

Verb8im

Resources:
    Resources:
    How do I post a replay?