• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How to properly change a units z origin?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
Hey Modellers,

I hope this is the right place because I really need your help for a quite simple problem (I assume).

I am using this hero model in a map and I want it to be able to go underground for a bit.

So I figured out that the easiest way would be to shit the models Z origin in magos model editor (e.g.) along its Z axis downwards and then trigger the fly height ingame at map init.

So far, I translated the model in magos model editor by 50 along the Z axis, but now all the animations look extremly ugly, because they are still attached to values being 50 up the Z axis.

Unfortunately I am too noobsih in the modelling business to find out, where and what to change further on to really properly change the models origin a long with all animations and attachment points and so on, so could you please help me out by pointing out what to do?

thank you a lot for reading through this :thumbs_up:

best regards,

Emm-A-

PS: I have been searching for quite a while but could not find any tutorial which covers all of that :(

Level 28
I am using this hero model in a map and I want it to be able to go underground for a bit.
Why not using Burrow ability?
So far, I translated the model in magos model editor by 50 along the Z axis, but now all the animations look extremly ugly, because they are still attached to values being 50 up the Z axis.
Hah, that's usual, same thing if you transfer between animations, but as for your question, you better check the bones, rotation, scaling and translation and try to fix them all.

Level 14
Why not using Burrow ability?

Burrow ability is a smart suggestion and I can't remember anymore why It did not work last time, but something did not work out. I would use it if this translation stuff will not work out.

Hah, that's usual, same thing if you transfer between animations, but as for your question, you better check the bones, rotation, scaling and translation and try to fix them all.

I know, but how ...:sad:

If I open the Node/sequence/geoset/etc. Managers in Magos' Editor, they show all these windows like these: example images here

there is these X,Y,Z values, now do I have to enter in each and every field -50 in the Z box?

Is there any values I should not change? The problem is, I have no idea, which thing I should adjust and which thing I should leave as it is ... Can you maybe give a bit more detail about what to "fix" ?

Level 27
You need to add a new animation, them during the secuence move the root_bone to negative values to keep the unit underground.

For example: Stand Alternate
From 1000
To 1500

With magos you see a field called Translation, in the Root_Bone.
1000: { 0, 0, -100 } The unit will be undeground.

This is without translation or dig effect is a simple standing undeground.

Status
Not open for further replies.