• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Question: Can positive extends on Z cause corruption?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Hi there, I am wondering, in Wolverabids post regarding model corruption and things that cause a model to become corrupted, he says positive values in minimum extends can cause corruption. Heres link:

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/modeling-animation-276/beware-corrupted-model-files-32891/

However, just looking at some blizzard made wc3 models and they regularly have positive vales in the minimum extends field but only on the Z axis. is the Z axis exempt from this rule?

Dodgy extents -- negative maxes and positive mins (beware when editing the Marine and Tauren).
YOu mean this? I cant see any other point that states about extents.

So, I think you misunderstood.
What the sentence meant is, the x,y,z of the minimum extents should not have a higher value than the maximum extents.

For example:

• Minimum extent X: -5, Y: -5, Z: -5
  • Maximum extent X: 5, Y: 5, Z: 5
Doesnt corrupt

• Minimum extent X: 5, Y: 5, Z: 5
  • Maximum extent X: -5, Y: -5, Z: -5
Corrupts

• Maximum extent X: 10, Y: 10, Z: 10
Doesnt corrupt

• Minimum extent X: 10, Y: 10, Z: 10
Corrupts

Get what I mean?

I havent tested this, so I might be wrong. But Im pretty sure thats how it works. Its just like making a geometry out of coordinates. Hope it helps.

Level 7
Oh lol yeah clearly I misunderstood, thanks for the detailed answer! +rep

By the way does this extends issue only apply to every geoset individually aswel or just the overall model extends? As visible in magoes when you click model properties.

YOu mean this? I cant see any other point that states about extents.

So, I think you misunderstood.
What the sentence meant is, the x,y,z of the minimum extents should not have a higher value than the maximum extents.

For example:

• Minimum extent X: -5, Y: -5, Z: -5
Doesnt corrupt

• Maximum extent X: -5, Y: -5, Z: -5
Corrupts

• Maximum extent X: 10, Y: 10, Z: 10
Doesnt corrupt

• Minimum extent X: 10, Y: 10, Z: 10
Corrupts

Get what I mean?

I havent tested this, so I might be wrong. But Im pretty sure thats how it works. Its just like making a geometry out of coordinates. Hope it helps.

You are totally correct here.
Basic formula is TotalExtend = (MaxExtend) - (MinExtend)
If TotalExtend is negative the model file becomes corrupted.

You can use Magos' Model Editor to automatically calculate the extends of a model.

Level 23
I have to add the caveat that bad extents do not guarantee that your model will crash. It's something that I noticed happening in some cases when editing Blizz models that had extents like this, so if you've got a crash the extents are a good (and easy) place to start.

I have to add the caveat that bad extents do not guarantee that your model will crash. It's something that I noticed happening in some cases when editing Blizz models that had extents like this, so if you've got a crash the extents are a good (and easy) place to start.

I try to elaborate but I cannot find an example here. Can you give me one, Sir?

Status
Not open for further replies.