• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How to prevent your own maps from locking itself?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Heya... I´ve a wee bit of a problem with the Editor. this problem being that my map got the "Missing or Invalid" error just when i´d almost finished it...

However i´ve come to realize and accept that i´ve no chance whatsoever to get this map back since i am neither a hacker or computer whiz.

So now i ask of you: How to prevent that this happen again? (Aside from backups, they are obvious) I do not feel like making backups everytime just because the editor does this (Or i did this?)

Anyway this thread probably fails a bit i know... But i´d like to gain some help anyway if possible.

Thanks in beforehand and have a nice day, and of course thanks anyway even if you do not help/respond.

And no, i do not type/talk like this socially, i´ve just not made a help thread in a long time so a little bit nervous... Just a little! :csmile:

Last edited:
Level 37
Warcraft III\Maps\Test containst the last tested map. Check it.

I always take a backup and store it on a separate hard drive when I finish making a map for the day. Every now and then I also save a backup on USB memory stick.

I haven't had the editor really corrupt a map. It has been either a bad import or computer freezing while the map was loaded in WE.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
If you use Windows 7 (or maybe vista), some drives are subject to "shadow copies". This basically allows you to roll back a file to what it was on a previous day (automatic backup).

Your map also probably got curropted due to incomplete save before existing.

Wait about 15 seconds after saving before closing WE.

Level 4
Ahem, first: Sorry for not checking here a for so long---

Second, and most important : Thank you for replyin´ :)

Well, as said... I think? I am not in for my map back--- as much as i liked it being finished, I made a wrong move and have to pay for it. What i wanted was ways to prevent this from happening again (aside from saving backups everytime)

Incomplete saving does actually sound like a good excuse for my W / E Map to become corrupted, so (would´ve +rep on that one.. though seemingly cannot for now.)

(Though a hint as to where to find this shadow copy, seeing as i have vista, would´ve been even better :) )
At any rate, Will wait 15 secs from now on. Thank ya´ll for the help! :)

And sorry for long & boring response.

Save map in 2 folders after each work in WE, like this:

When you finish working or just want to save map, save it to folder 1, another time to folder 2, then again another time to folder 1 and so on... This have few cool things:

- Can save your map after testing if you create some bad errors, you always have a little older version in other folder.
- If you lost electrical power while saving map or PC just shut down map can be damaged and unable to open in WE, with 2 folders you can once again check a little older version in other folder.
-If you make folders on different hard disc drivers (example C: and D:) you can have saved a little older version in other folder if you lost 1 HD.

Another good advice, copy your important projects/files and stuff to external memory drives, flesh, DVD and so on...
Who knows what can happen...

Status
Not open for further replies.