• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How to prevent models from swapping?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
This is a weird problem, unsure how to properly phrase it so unable to find really any info on it, but here's my problem, with example.

I created a custom doodad/structure which I want to use the basic Human Scout Tower. I select the model for it, which is a shared file with the Arcane Tower/Cannon Tower/Guard Tower model.

Now, when I place it in the editor, the model periodically switches from the Scout Tower to the Cannon Tower, and then back again.

1) How do I prevent it from switching?
2) If I wanted to create a Guard Tower model/doodad later, how would I set it to that file?

The problem seems to be that the 4 towers all share the same model file, but each looks different. This same problem occurs with other buildings, such as the Human Town Hall/Keep/Castle.

Any help would be appreciated.

Level 11
This has to do with the Art - Required Animation Names field in the object editor. You can check the original towers to see what strings are needed for which model type.

I haven't a clue why your scout towers are switching, but if you copy all the relevant art fields from the original scout tower it should be fine.

Level 20
I'm not sure you can use it the way you want as a doodad because you can't specify the Required animation names for doodads. A workaround would be to actually use tower units and give them the locust ability to make them look as a doodad.

For buildings it shouldn't be a problem though, just check the correct animation names (should be upgrade one, upgrade two, etc.).

Level 1
I'm not sure you can use it the way you want as a doodad because you can't specify the Required animation names for doodads. A workaround would be to actually use tower units and give them the locust ability to make them look as a doodad.

For buildings it shouldn't be a problem though, just check the correct animation names (should be upgrade one, upgrade two, etc.).

I suppose it can't be done as a doodad then, that's unfortunate, but I'll go ahead and use them as a unit. What does the Locust ability do, though? I actually found it when adding the ability, but I can't seem to find it in the Abilities tab of the editor. Even using Ctrl+F/G, I was only able to find Locust Swarm, so I don't know what it does.

Level 11
Locust is semi-hidden (you won't find it on the ability list; only in the dialog to add abilities, like you said). What it does is make the unit unselectable and untargetable. It can still act on its own or be ordered to do things via triggers though.

The locusts from locust swarm use the ability (hence the name). It's useful for creating units that cannot be controlled, selected, or attacked.

Status
Not open for further replies.