• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

How To Post Your Trigger

Level 22
How To Post Your Triggers

I've seen many and many members around the site who need help with their triggers but don't know how to post their triggers in a thread, especially the newcomers. Posting your triggers in a thread is very important when you're asking a help from other members to fix or find a problem in your triggers. This tutorial is intended to help you to post your triggers easily in a thread.

1. Find Your Trigger
    First of all, you must find the trigger you want to post. This is a very basic thing to do and I am sure you don't have any problem with this step but just in case you do, I will tell you how to do it. Open your map with the World Editor. Find the "Module" button and click it then choose "Trigger Editor". You can also open it with the shortcut key "F4" which is more faster than the previous method.
    full

The Trigger Editor window will appear, browse through the folders for your triggers. Then Left-Click on the trigger you wanted to post.

full

2. Copy Your Trigger
    Once you've Left-Clicked on the trigger you wanted to post, you will see that The Trigger Editor consists of 3 Boxes. First is the list of folders and triggers you have. Second is the comment of the trigger you have. Third is the "Trigger Functions". Inside the Trigger Functions, you can see the title of your trigger. Right-Click on it. A menu will pop up and you will find "Copy As Text" in there. Left-Click on it.
    full

3. Paste Your Trigger
    In the Hiveworkshop, you can post your triggers in a thread by using the [trigger][/trigger] tags. You can't find these tags in the menu so you have to write them yourself. But before you do that, make sure you Left-Click on the button at the Top-Right Corner of the menu. The Button is "Use BB Code Editor". The purpose is to make sure that the triggers are inlined correctly in the thread.
    full

Write the trigger tags then paste your copied trigger between them like this: [trigger]Paste your copied Trigger here![/trigger]
    full

full

Here's my result:
    • Melee Initialization
      • Events
        • Map initialization
      • Conditions
      • Actions
        • Melee Game - Use melee time of day (for all players)
        • Melee Game - Limit Heroes to 1 per Hero-type (for all players)
        • Melee Game - Give trained Heroes a Scroll of Town Portal (for all players)
        • Melee Game - Set starting resources (for all players)
        • Melee Game - Remove creeps and critters from used start locations (for all players)
        • Melee Game - Create starting units (for all players)
        • Melee Game - Run melee AI scripts (for computer players)
        • Melee Game - Enforce victory/defeat conditions (for all players)
  4. The Hidden Tags
    You may probably have noticed that the browser window gets stretched (Sometimes, it doesn't. It depends on how long the triggers are). This is unpleasant to some people so you definitely need to do something about this. This is where the Hidden Tags get some action. Hidden Tags allow you to hide a huge wall of text in your postings. This is very useful for triggers because they usually have a huge wall of text. Now, simply write [hidden=The Title][/hidden]. As usual, the text that you wanted to hide must be between the tags. Here's the example of it:
    • Melee Initialization
      • Events
        • Map initialization
      • Conditions
      • Actions
        • Melee Game - Use melee time of day (for all players)
        • Melee Game - Limit Heroes to 1 per Hero-type (for all players)
        • Melee Game - Give trained Heroes a Scroll of Town Portal (for all players)
        • Melee Game - Set starting resources (for all players)
        • Melee Game - Remove creeps and critters from used start locations (for all players)
        • Melee Game - Create starting units (for all players)
        • Melee Game - Run melee AI scripts (for computer players)
        • Melee Game - Enforce victory/defeat conditions (for all players)
  5. How To Post JASS Scripts
    Posting JASS Scripts is even more easier than posting Triggers. Simply find the Scripts you wanted to post, select all the text inside and copy them. Go to the forum, make sure you have Left-Clicked on the "Use BB Code Editor" button as I've explained in the 3rd Step. Then paste the scripts between the [code=jass][/code] tags. Example:
    JASS:
    function Trig_Melee_Initialization_Actions takes nothing returns nothing
        call MeleeStartingVisibility(  )
        call MeleeStartingHeroLimit(  )
        call MeleeGrantHeroItems(  )
        call MeleeStartingResources(  )
        call MeleeClearExcessUnits(  )
        call MeleeStartingUnits(  )
        call MeleeStartingAI(  )
        call MeleeInitVictoryDefeat(  )
    endfunction

//===========================================================================
    function InitTrig_Melee_Initialization takes nothing returns nothing
        set gg_trg_Melee_Initialization = CreateTrigger(  )
        call TriggerAddAction( gg_trg_Melee_Initialization, function Trig_Melee_Initialization_Actions )
    endfunction
    If you want to show someone a simple function or a single row of code, you can use the [icode=jass][/icode] tags instead. Example:
    call KillUnit(udg_YourVar)
    call RemoveLocation(udg_YourVar)

That is all about How To Post Your Triggers. I hope this tutorial can be helpful for you.
Any feedbacks and suggestions are highly appreciated.

Sincerely, Rheiko ~

Level 37
An updated "How to Post Triggers" was definitely needed, but I'm not really digging the color choice here. The small text size between the large photos also made me miss some text describing the images :p

This is very useful for triggers because they usually have a huge wall of text.
When Hive was updated, Ralle made it so that triggers have a maximum height like jass tags. They won't stretch the entire page like they used to xP With that in mind, I only advise using [hidden=""][/hidden] when you are posting inside a table.

Level 22
An updated "How to Post Triggers" was definitely needed
Definitely!

The small text size between the large photos also made me miss some text describing the images :p
Now that you mention it. Well, I don't think that's a big problem but I probably can make the text size slightly bigger. :p

When Hive was updated, Ralle made it so that triggers have a maximum height like jass tags. They won't stretch the entire page like they used to xP With that in mind, I only advise using when you are posting inside a table.
Hmm, I wasn't sure Ralle has already made that change by the time I made this tutorial and I didn't actually bother to confirm it so I just wrote it anyway. :p
Thanks for your feedback!

Level 22
Though I did never understand the extra step to find the trigger editor and the right trigger. It seems like saying
" look at site 10 now"
vs "
" you need to have your book open that you are currently reading and then look at site 10 "
Perhaps It needs to be explained more thoroughly, because it sounds unclear and people can find it difficult to understand what it means. :xxd: