• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How to move a map from 1.28.5 to 1.31.1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hello! Help me please if someone has encountered a similar problem. Previously, I was developing the map only on versions 1.26а - 1.28.5, and decided to migrate to version 1.31.1. The map uses vJass, there is practically no GUI. Used to open this program JNGP Lua Edition. I fixed all the errors which did not allow me to save the map. Now the map is saved and edited without any problems. But I can't open it either in test mode from the editor, or in the game itself. What could be the problem?

Map Error.png

Map Error 2.png

Level 2
Sounds like it is not saving correctly. Such as the map script contains syntax errors.

Do you really need JNGP anymore? Standard World Editor comes with vJASS support now.
But there are no errors, they were, but I fixed them. You mean the editor from Reforged 1.32.9? I use WE from 1.28.5 and 1.31.1. There are no vJASS support for them. I tried to open the map in the Reforged, but there were too many mistakes, it would simply be impossible to fix them with my hands. That is, what was previously opened and saved in version 1.28.5 with SharpCraft(SharpCraft & WEX) no longer works in default WE of Reforged.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
That is, what was previously opened and saved in version 1.28.5 with SharpCraft(SharpCraft & WEX) no longer works in default WE of Reforged.
Which might be part of the issue. If the current World Editor cannot save or load the map then something might be happening that is not really supported by newer versions of WC3.

Level 2
Which might be part of the issue. If the current World Editor cannot save or load the map then something might be happening that is not really supported by newer versions of WC3.
If the only way is to rewrite everything with my hands, then this is very sad news, there are 65 thousand lines of code in the map. It's easier to forget about switching to a new version of the editor. Anyway, thanks.

Level 2
Compile the map with 1.31 editor and see what comes up. Make sure to backup original map since 1.31 maps cannot be played by 1.30 or below.
Thank you, i tried but it has a lot of errors. Default WE of 1.31.1 doesn't have vjass support. It is obvious that there will be a lot of errors. I'm unlikely to fix it with my hands, it's a whole week's work.

Thank you, i tried but it has a lot of errors. Default WE of 1.31.1 doesn't have vjass support. It is obvious that there will be a lot of errors. I'm unlikely to fix it with my hands, it's a whole week's work.
1.31.1 has vJass support by default (it also includes Lua), so it is more likely some of the code is deprecated between 1.28.5 and 1.31.1. Consider sharing the errors here so it is easier to provide assistance.

Level 2
1.31.1 has vJass support by default (it also includes Lua), so it is more likely some of the code is deprecated between 1.28.5 and 1.31.1. Consider sharing the errors here so it is easier to provide assistance.
Make sure it's enabled in the trigger editor.
About-WE-1.31.1.png
WE-1.31.1.png

I found vjass support, it was enabled by default. And as it turned out, the errors are not related to vjass at all, it is difficult to understand what these problems are.
errors.png

Last edited:
Level 19
If only the script file contains an error, you'll have an empty lobby screen without an error message (1.26-Reforged). Here it says there's an error, I think it is a problem elsewhere. To be sure it is not caused by the script, open the map MPQ with MPQEditor and replace war3map.lua/war3map.j with a different / empty script file. If the error repeats, it was not a script file error.

Level 2
If only the script file contains an error, you'll have an empty lobby screen without an error message (1.26-Reforged). Here it says there's an error, I think it is a problem elsewhere. To be sure it is not caused by the script, open the map MPQ with MPQEditor and replace war3map.lua/war3map.j with a different / empty script file. If the error repeats, it was not a script file error.
I tried this one as MPQEditor - Ladik's MPQ Editor version 2.0.1.278
And I can't open MPQ archive, I have errors:
MPQ-error.png

MPQ-error2.png

Tried all these mpq files, have the same error (

Level 28
View attachment 401392View attachment 401393
I found vjass support, it was enabled by default. And as it turned out, the errors are not related to vjass at all, it is difficult to understand what these problems are.
View attachment 401394
There is a people who posted this problem here. The main reason is probably a missing language files. According to Retera's post from that thread:
WESTRING stands for World Edit String. These are intended to change based on your game's Language setting. So it could find English or Spanish or Russian or Chinese or whatever, depending on your game version.

If you are using a bootleg version, perhaps it is missing the language files named "War3xLocal.mpq" in the game installation directory. Also if you are on Patch 1.29 or above, then the file is in a different location with a different name so do not panic if the file is not there in that case.

One way to cause this could be if you have "War3xLocal.mpq" on your computer, but then you opened it with MPQEditor and left it open so the World Editor was blocked by MPQEditor and did not have permission to read its own files.

Edit: Even if "War3xLocal.mpq" was locked for reading and didn't load, "War3Patch.mpq" usually has a mirror of this information (typically a slightly different version). So it's really weird for this data to be missing. Perhaps you are installing Frozen Throne from the CD with an old patch 1.14 or something that does not have "War3Patch.mpq"? That seems very jank. You are certainly missing some important data files.
Patch 1.31 was made with all the Reforged storage format and features to help get people excited for Reforged and used to the new features. Since it is stored in the modern CASC storage system that is meant to be always checked against the online version, the only languages that work would probably be the ones loaded from the Blizzard server by whoever played that install before you when it was live, who then gave it to you or something. 1.31 was definitely meant as a temporary thing and even noted that it was the prepatch of Reforged in the 1.31 patch notes. So I guess it wouldn't surprise me if it was wonky like that since running Patch 1.31 in the year 2022 means running the incomplete Reforged tech after its intended lifecycle is over. If you get a copy of the Reign of Chaos + Frozen Throne back from before the activision merger, you would surely not have this problem.
I heard that, having a multiple versions of WC3 might led to unexpected results, especially the World Editor, but for me, it's worked without problems.
The only possible solution for fixing this problem is by reinstalling the game or wait for Blizzard to fix it. However, if the error was "Validation Failed", you could try using the modified version of "<localePath>/ui/worldeditstrings.txt" with the "Local Files" enabled, then add the missing strings here.

Level 19
@Nixaristix MPQ Archives - Downloads the latest version is v4.xx
If MPQ Editor cannot open the file then the MPQ archive is corrupt, nothing to do with the game or installation. In your case JNGP Lua Edition must be saving garbage.
PS: I meant you must open your WARCRAFT .W3X MAP FILE with MPQEditor and replace war3map.j in there with a dummy script file.

Last edited:
Level 17
I tried this one as MPQEditor - Ladik's MPQ Editor version 2.0.1.278
And I can't open MPQ archive, I have errors:
View attachment 401410
View attachment 401411
Tried all these mpq files, have the same error (
Error 32 means there was a sharing violation. This most often means you already had the file opened somewhere else. Make sure to close the game and not have the map open in World Editor before trying to open it.
Also, scrolling further up, it doesn't seem you were asked to open the game's MPQ, but rather the map MPQ

Status
Not open for further replies.