• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

how to make this ability passive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Well, that's not really specific enough, but I'm going to use my first assumption and make a simple trigger to do that.

You need 2 abilities:
  • A passive which does nothing
  • The Entangling roots ability
Add the passive to the units which you want to have it.

• EntangleInit
    • Events
      • Map initialization
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Set EntangleGroup[0] = (Units in (Playable map area) matching ((Level of Entangling Roots for (Matching unit)) Greater than 0))
  • EntangleLoop
    • Events
      • Time - Every 1.00 seconds of game time
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Unit Group - Pick every unit in EntangleGroup[0] and do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • Set point = (Position of (Picked unit))
          • Unit - Create 1 Dummy for (Owner of (Picked unit)) at point facing Default building facing degrees
          • Set dummy = (Last created unit)
          • Unit - Add Entangling Roots to dummy
          • Unit - Add a 1.00 second Generic expiration timer to dummy
          • Set EntangleGroup[1] = (Units within 500.00 of point matching (((Matching unit) belongs to an enemy of (Owner of (Picked unit))) Equal to True))
          • Unit Group - Pick every unit in EntangleGroup[1] and do (Actions)
            • Loop - Actions
              • Unit - Order dummy to Night Elf Keeper Of The Grove - Entangling Roots (Picked unit)
          • Custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_point)
          • Custom script: call DestroyGroup(udg_EntangleGroup[1])
This trigger only detects units with the passive ability that are pre-placed. If you are going to detect units not pre-placed, you will need different events. I will do that in another post if you want.

Level 9
Don't wanna try things out yourself with what I already gave you?

The test map is attached below.
Change the values in the EntangleLoop trigger and Entangling Roots (Dummy) to whatever you want.

Attachments

• entangle.w3x
    22.2 KB · Views: 23
Level 6
Or you could use the 'new slow orb' effect ability and use a modification of entangeling roots as effect ability and give the orb effect to your unit. It will cast then by a % chance roots on the attacked unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.