• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How to make my terrain look better

How my terrain looks like?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
I am not good at making long texts so i will make it short, i know i suck at terraining so i need a little help.
I just finished half of the terrain and i want to know how to be better at terraining etc.
upload_2017-8-9_12-43-2.png

8bb5b287-75f9-492d-81de-f0f0682e93d4
upload_2017-8-9_12-42-44.png

Attachments

• Peons vs Titan 0.1 pre-alpha.w3x
    308.7 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Level 10
I can't blame your terrain yet it's really basic. That's not actually a bad thing yet (in my humble opinion) it is boring.
I bet one of these guides about terraining will have a lot of information you could make use of:

Terraining - Complete Terraining Tutorial
Advanced Terraining Tutorial

Because you know in general you placed some trees on a hill.
But I know it's hard at the beginning so don't be discouraged. =)

See what I made:

01-jpg.277084
02-jpg.277085

This is a Blood Elven place of my future template. It's not so good but that's however my work! You see, you can have a very good use of doodads, maybe better of me. Just look after some doodads that are suitable for your tileset, Lordaeron fall. You can easily find them in Ultimate Terraining Map. You can also have some very nice constructions, ideas, etc with just default blizzard doodads (I won't prefer them tho). You just need to be creative more than you think. Test, put doodads over other doodads, try all variations, try making some good things that would make the map beautiful and also logical and in some suitable sizes, you MUST try all of conditions that would make the map better. When you made a beautiful place with creativity and patience, then check it again, check what things need to be removed and what things need to be added. As you see in the first picture, I should add a suitable city tile and I should remove some trees. Choose a good fog, make some mists, make some air terms, etc. You should feel if you were the king, how were your lands?, how were your kingdom?, it's up to you to make your realm beautiful or horrible or very bad. When you put custom trees with long trunks, then lower them to the ground, I think I learned this from Keiji (Or Heinvers?). There are very more good reviews, but I'm just lazy! :D

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 350
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 357
Level 36
You might want to consider having more decorations than only blizz cliffs and blizz trees.
- Actually, you might want to consider not even having blizz cliffs and blizz trees.

The "doodads" tab and "environment" tab in your tool pallet will offer, if not a plethora,
then some more doodads and stuff you can use to make the terrain more interesting.

Furthermore, not to blow your mind or anything, we have a resource section where you
can download a plethora of great doodads and models created by our community to vastly
improve your terrain! :)

If it's help on the whole "what looks good / how can it look good" spectrum you're looking for,
then the best advice I can give you is to look up some other threads here in this section or otherwise
that has created beautiful playable terrains and try to mimic theirs. Because right now your terrain
is a canvas, there is really nothing there for us to comment on. It's basic, it is a layout, but it's not
a terrain. And it sure as shit isn't halfway finished :p

Level 6
You might want to consider having more decorations than only blizz cliffs and blizz trees.
- Actually, you might want to consider not even having blizz cliffs and blizz trees.

The "doodads" tab and "environment" tab in your tool pallet will offer, if not a plethora,
then some more doodads and stuff you can use to make the terrain more interesting.

Furthermore, not to blow your mind or anything, we have a resource section where you
can download a plethora of great doodads and models created by our community to vastly
improve your terrain! :)

If it's help on the whole "what looks good / how can it look good" spectrum you're looking for,
then the best advice I can give you is to look up some other threads here in this section or otherwise
that has created beautiful playable terrains and try to mimic theirs. Because right now your terrain
is a canvas, there is really nothing there for us to comment on. It's basic, it is a layout, but it's not
a terrain. And it sure as shit isn't halfway finished :p
that map i am working on right now will be something like troll and elves, farmers vs hunters and vampirism, so it need trees and kinda cliffs.

Level 36
I meant specifically blizz cliffs and blizz trees. They are ugly and outdated.

You can make your own custom cliffs using the raise / lower terrain tools and
pathing-blockers, and you can find far better looking tree models virtually
everywhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.