• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How to make good looking lava in WE

Level 13
Hey all. I've seen some people in Terrain Board asking how to make good looking lava.

First of all, you need UTM and MiscData.txt ( Download UTM. Download MiscData.txt)

Let us start...

First make an area of the size you want using the Lava Cracks tile.
173034-albums2864-picture24091.png

Next, lower and flatten it with the Lower and Plateau tool, it should be like pit.
173034-albums2864-picture24092.png

Then fill your pit with "Lava Cracks (Scarey)" (Doodads Doodads-> Cinematic)
173034-albums2864-picture24093.png

Then add "Glow" or "Fog (Edit in Object Editor)" Doodads. Resize ( Art - Maximum Scale ) them if needed to fit better. Tint ( Art - Tinting Color ) Glow or Fog doodad to orange like [RGB -> 255, 75, 0] or for lighter [RGB -> 125, 50, 0]
(Doodads Doodads-> Cinematic)
173034-albums2864-picture24094.png

And vóila! You've got good looking lava! Then just modify everything around your pit.
173034-albums2864-picture24095.png

I hope this was useful.
Comment and give criticisms, please.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 14
You need to make it longer, explain how to resize and shit. Tutorials should be retarded proof. For instance.

Then fill your pit with "Lava Cracks (Scarey)" doodads

Here you should tell them where you can find the Lava Cracks and stuff. Also for the glow didn't you tint it? If so then you should mention the recommended settings for the glow doodad.

Last edited:
Level 2
:thumbs_up: very nice u have done this in high class, lok at pictur??
vell i have lok at pictur and this loks like it shuld. i love it :)

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
A pitty it still does not match up to SC2's lava lol.

When using such an effect in a playable map...
You should remember to place pathing blockers around the creater unless you want units to be able to walk into it by running down the cliff sides or back up again.
Also you may wish to add some random explosions to it to give a feel of more activity.

Level 3
I have a trouble, I want to sustitute infestation terrain with this lava terrain to my buildings but I don't know how can I do it.
Please, Can you help me?

Last edited: