• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How to Make a Simple Quest in WE to Show Info (Noob Tutorial)

Level 10
How to Make a Simple Quest in WE to Show Info (Beginner Tutorial)

I know, what a seemingly useless tutorial for the average WE user, but not for those new guys. And yes, I made this for a new guy.

OK, lets begin.

First off, open the World Editor, which will be often refered to as WE, not only in this tutorial, but almost anywhere else you go. Then open up your map that you want to add a quest to.

Open up the Trigger Editor.

96690d1295821232-how-make-simple-quest-we-show-info-noob-tutorial-tutorialscrn01.jpg

Create a new trigger. It does not matter what category you create it in or the name you give it. (In this tutorial, I have named it Quest Creator.)

96691d1295821232-how-make-simple-quest-we-show-info-noob-tutorial-tutorialscrn02.jpg

Click the button titled "New Event".

96692d1295821232-how-make-simple-quest-we-show-info-noob-tutorial-tutorialscrn03.jpg

A window titled "Configure Event" should a appear. There is a dropbox (denoted in the following screenshot) that contains a list of events for your trigger. You don't need to open this for creating quests at the beginning of the game. Click OK.

96693d1295821232-how-make-simple-quest-we-show-info-noob-tutorial-tutorialscrn04.jpg

Your trigger now has the "Map Initialization" event.

96694d1295821232-how-make-simple-quest-we-show-info-noob-tutorial-tutorialscrn05.jpg

Click the Actions button. A window titled "Configure Action" should appear. Open up the dropbox (denoted in the following screenshot) by clicking the arrow to the right of it.

96712d1295835733-how-make-simple-quest-we-show-info-noob-tutorial-tutorialscrn06.jpg

Scroll down in the list of Actions until you find the Action "Quest - Create Quest". Select it. The "Configure Action" window now looks like the following screenshot.

96696d1295821232-how-make-simple-quest-we-show-info-noob-tutorial-tutorialscrn07.jpg

You can basically do whatever you want at this point. You can make the quest a Required Quest or an Optional Quest, depending on which column you want it to be in on the Quest Log. The first column is Required Quests and the second column is Optional Quests. Give the quest a suitable title like "Game Info", make the description actual information about the game, and make the icon really anything you want, though I'd use a book or a scroll.

96697d1295821232-how-make-simple-quest-we-show-info-noob-tutorial-tutorialscrn08.jpg

And now, well, your done. That's it. Anyway, have fun!

Okay, if you wanted a fully functioning, yet simple quest, follow the next 8 steps.

In this tutorial, I will be making a quest that only has one quest requirement, kill 3 Murloc Tiderunners. This tutorial is making the assumption that the WE is already open along a map that you want to put a quest on.

Step 1: Open the Trigger Editor.

Step 2: Create a new trigger and give it the event, "Map initialization". In this tutorial, this trigger will be referred to has "Quest Creator." (You may choose to skip this step if you already have a trigger with the event, "Map initialization.")

Step 3: Create the "Quest - Create Quest" action for the "Quest Creator" trigger. Give the action a suitable title, description, icon, and choose to either display it as a required quest or an optional quest.

Step 4: Create a variable with the type Quest. The name of the variable doesn't matter, as long as you know which variable is the variable for your quest. In this tutorial, I will call it "KtM_Quest." Refer to the Screenshot below for help.

attachment.php

Step 5: Create the action, "Set Variable" for the "Quest Creator" trigger. Set the "Variable" to KtM Quest, or whatever the name is for your variable, and set the second value to "(Last Created Quest)." This sets the variable that you made to your quest.

Step 6: Then create the action "Quest - Create Quest Requirement" for KtM_Quest with a suitable description of your choosing (What you have to do to complete the quest. In this tutorial, I will make the description, "Kill 3 Murloc Tiderunners.").

Step 7: Create a new trigger. In this tutorial, I will call it "Kill the Murlocs Completion." Also, for this tutorial, I'm going to give it the following events, conditions, and actions:

• Kill the Murlocs Completion
    • Events
      • Unit - Murloc Tiderunner 0005 <gen> Dies
      • Unit - Murloc Tiderunner 0006 <gen> Dies
      • Unit - Murloc Tiderunner 0007 <gen> Dies
      • Comment: The events are for when any of your units die
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
        • If - Conditions
          • (Murloc Tiderunner 0005 <gen> is dead) Equal to True
          • (Murloc Tiderunner 0006 <gen> is dead) Equal to True
          • (Murloc Tiderunner 0007 <gen> is dead) Equal to True
          • Comment: This makes sure all of the other Murlocs are dead
        • Then - Actions
          • Quest - Mark (Last created quest requirement) as Completed
          • Quest - Mark KtM_Quest as Completed
          • Comment: The above action is when the quest you made gets completed
          • Quest - Display to Player Group - Player 1 (Red) the Quest Completed message: |cffffcc00QUEST COM...
        • Else - Actions
            • If - Conditions
              • (Execution count of (This trigger)) Equal to 1
              • Comment: The above condition is when the trigger fires a first time.
            • Then - Actions
              • Quest - Display to Player Group - Player 1 (Red) the Quest Update message: |cffffcc00QUEST UPD...
            • Else - Actions
                • If - Conditions
                  • (Execution count of (This trigger)) Equal to 2
                  • Comment: The above condition is when the trigger fires a second time.
                • Then - Actions
                  • Quest - Display to Player Group - Player 1 (Red) the Quest Update message: |cffffcc00QUEST UPD...
                • Else - Actions
(Note: The actions I've created that display quest messages like this one...
are optional and tells the player when he has killed one of the Murlocs that are required for him to kill.)

With this setup, the trigger works absolutely fine, but wait, no reward!? You can't have a quest with no reward! And that leads into our final step.

Step 8: Right before my second set of If/Then/Else actions with the "(Evaluation Count of (this trigger))" conditions and under my first If/Then/Else action, create a simple reward like "Player - Add Property" and use this to add a small amount of gold. You could have better rewards such as giving the player an item of some sort. Just use "Item - Create" and make it whatever item you want and create the item at a certain region.

It's true that you could use a variable with your Hero and have the item be given straight to your Hero, but that would require more work and as I already stated, another variable.

Warning: This tutorial may contain a few leaks since I did not check it. Leaks really don't bother me since it seems like they never really seem to do anything to the game (e.g. make the game take really long to unload, slow the game down, etc.). Leaks supposedly do make the game take longer to unload, but it seems that if your computer runs WC3 pretty good and is a little over the recommended system requirements, than your fine. I'm sure this doesn't have that many leaks since I didn't use any "Wait" commands, "Elapsed Time", or "Periodic Event" events.

That's it! You did it. Your quest should now be complete!

Attachments

• TutorialScrn01.jpg
    TutorialScrn01.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 6,986
  • TutorialScrn02.jpg
    TutorialScrn02.jpg
    420.9 KB · Views: 7,610
  • TutorialScrn03.jpg
    TutorialScrn03.jpg
    358.1 KB · Views: 6,741
  • TutorialScrn04.jpg
    TutorialScrn04.jpg
    396.4 KB · Views: 6,670
  • TutorialScrn05.jpg
    TutorialScrn05.jpg
    379.1 KB · Views: 6,627
  • TutorialScrn07.jpg
    TutorialScrn07.jpg
    491.4 KB · Views: 6,941
  • TutorialScrn08.jpg
    TutorialScrn08.jpg
    466.9 KB · Views: 6,372
  • TutorialScrn06.jpg
    TutorialScrn06.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 6,615
Last edited:
Level 4
Useless tutorial, unless it's how to create a quest in JASS. Otherwise, you could might as well create an encyclopedia about events, conditions and actions.

Level 10
Yes, that's the purpose of this tutorial. It was designed to help only beginners. That's why the first posts title has the phrase "(Noob Tutorial)."

EDIT:
Oh, Purgeandfire, I noticed you edited my tutorial for me so the 1st and 2nd tutorial go together much better and it looks as if I made them that way. Thanks. It looks better that way.

Last edited:
Level 1
This is pretty much my go to guide for anything quest related, thank you for posting this. One question though, do you know how to make repeating radiant quests? Like you go within range of someone, they tell you to go kill blah blah blah, return, complete it, then they give you another quest, but a random one, not in a predefined order?

Level 1
good tut but

so i am a total "noob" your tutorial made me understand a lot and i thank you for that,
but i do not know how to do all the if(all conditions are true) do else stuff, which you did not explain in your tutorial.
Also how do i make my "farmer joe" give this quest to some one when they talk to him?

Last edited:
Level 12
This is pretty much my go to guide for anything quest related, thank you for posting this. One question though, do you know how to make repeating radiant quests? Like you go within range of someone, they tell you to go kill blah blah blah, return, complete it, then they give you another quest, but a random one, not in a predefined order?

Make a region around that unit, when you enter it trigger the quest. Then trigger the killing stuff, and then trigger when they return back to the NPC (Checking if they killed enough)

I hope I made sense