1. The 30th edition of the Modeling Contest is finally up! The Portable Buildings need your attention, so come along and have a blast!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Aftermath has been revealed for the 19th Terraining Contest! Be sure to check out the Results and see what came out of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Melee Mapping Contest #3 - Results are out! Congratulate the winners and check plenty of new 4v4 melee maps designed for this competition!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The winners of our cinematic soundtrack competition have been decided! Step by the Music Contest #11 - Results to check the entries and congratulate the winners!
    Dismiss Notice

How to fix ribbon effect

Discussion in 'Modeling & Animation' started by James Tarrosa, Mar 12, 2019.

1. James Tarrosa

James Tarrosa

Resources:
    Resources:
    here's the link SerpentSon

I'm using Magos and Mdlvs. How can I fix the dissipate ribbon?

2. Hermit

Hermit

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Open the Model with Magos; go to Windows>Node Manager; find the ribbon (it has a red icon with a white arrow); double-click it; click on the Visibility button and add this:
    As you can see in the Sequence Manager, 50133 is the starting frame of the Dissipate animation. 0 means the ribbon is invisible while 1 means visible; you don't need to set visibility options for all in-between frames since each line is treated as a status toggle switch. Make sure to add it at the right place (50133 should go between 33133 and 56667); change the Interpolation Type from Linear to None; click OK; save the model and you are done.

The visibility interpolation type was probably mistakenly changed to Linear by Mdlvis' optimization, so you might also want to change it back to none in all geoset animations and particle emitters.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  3. James Tarrosa

James Tarrosa

Resources:
    Resources:
    Thank you, it worked. What about with bones or geosets? the invisible toggle option on the MDLVS becomes uncheckable.
    In this link you can see that I kept the hat under the field of vision cause I couldn't make it invisible. The other geosets or bones are just fine but the hat geoset or bone, i cant make it invisible. is it a bug?

link here:
    https://www.hiveworkshop.com/threads/strongwill-is-back.313581/#resource-82985

as long as were talking. what do these means: edit node > translation, rotation, scaling.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  4. Hermit

Hermit

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    I have no idea; I only use Mdlvis for animating models; I do everything else with Magos or Matrix Eater.

Your link does not work:
    Error.jpg
    Translation
    Translation (movement) is animated in lines of code that look like this:
    v - animation keyframe
    x - movement along the x axis (back/front)
    y - movement along the y axis (left/right)
    z - movement along the z axis (down/up)

If you don't see the axes in the bottom left corner, go to Edit > Properties and check 'Coordinate System Axes' under 'Display'.

Rotation
    Rotations are expressed as quaternions, 4d vectors that represent points on a hyper sphere. That being said, you don't really need to know how quaternions work since they are 4D, which means they are not really human- readable. If you want to create rotations, you can use some angle converter, like this one. Note that the quaternions in the converter are not in the same order as quaternions in rotations of Warcraft 3 nodes. Quaternions from the converter have to be rearranged in this order: { q2, q3, q4, q1 }

If you experience scaling, shearing or all sorts of weird effects, it means the quaternion isn't normalized, or in other words, its length isn't equal to 1.

I don't recommend animating entire models with War3 Model Editor; I only use it to make simple linear rotations, since animating is much easier with other programs (e.g. MdlVis) that allow you to animate with a graphical interface.

Some examples of linear rotation:
    Rotations in the examples above look like this:
    0 - 0 degrees
    2000 - 90 degrees
    4000 - 180 degrees
    6000 - 270 degrees
    8000 - 360/0 degrees

As you can see, rotations need to have a key every 90 degrees or less.

Scaling
    Scaling is animated in lines of code that look like this:
    v - animation keyframe
    x - scaling along the x axis (front/back)
    y - scaling along the y axis (right/left)
    z - scaling along the z axis (up/down)

Values larger than 1 increase the size of an object along the chosen axis/axes, while values smaller then 1 reduce the size of an object along the chosen axis/axes.

Negative scaling should not be used unless you are trying to turn a model upside down and inside out.