• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

How to download WarCraftIII campaigns on Windows XP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
The JNPG wont last because when I opened the file it was on WinRAR and that has a 40 day trial without paying. I also cant find any tutorials on about Windows XP.
P.S. Don't tell me to upgrade to Windows 7

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
The JNPG wont last because when I opened the file it was on WinRAR and that has a 40 day trial without paying. I also cant find any tutorials on about Windows XP.
P.S. Don't tell me to upgrade to Windows 7
Open and extract the rar file with the recommended open source tool, 7-Zip. WinRAR is pretty much a legacy scam since nowadays it offers practically nothing over the free alternative 7-Zip. 7-Zip has no problem working on Windows XP. Although 7-Zip has no problem opening and extracting rar files, it cannot make rar files due to licencing reasons however that is of no concern to you since you only want to open them.

Start by uninstalling WinRAR, then install 7-Zip. After 7-Zip installs you can use it to open the rar file. It might automatically associate itself with rar files so all that would be needed is to right click or double click on it. If not then you will need to open its file browser and open the archive from in there.

The tool supports the following formats...
Packing / unpacking: 7z, XZ, BZIP2, GZIP, TAR, ZIP and WIM
Unpacking only: AR, ARJ, CAB, CHM, CPIO, CramFS, DMG, EXT, FAT, GPT, HFS, IHEX, ISO, LZH, LZMA, MBR, MSI, NSIS, NTFS, QCOW2, RAR, RPM, SquashFS, UDF, UEFI, VDI, VHD, VMDK, WIM, XAR and Z.​

I also cant find any tutorials on about Windows XP.
That OS is not officially supported any more so few people use it. All modern tutorials will be for Windows 7 or 10.

How to download WarCraftIII campaigns on Windows XP.
Your title does not match the question you are asking. JNGP has nothing to do with Warcraft III campaign files (w3n) and such files should come standalone as they are already compressed due to the format of MPQs.

It is also spelt officially as "Warcraft", with a small c. This is different from StarCraft where the C is capitalized. No idea why Blizzard did this and I do agree it is kind of silly.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Open and extract the rar file with the recommended open source tool, 7-Zip. WinRAR is pretty much a legacy scam since nowadays it offers practically nothing over the free alternative 7-Zip. 7-Zip has no problem working on Windows XP. Although 7-Zip has no problem opening and extracting rar files, it cannot make rar files due to licencing reasons however that is of no concern to you since you only want to open them.

Start by uninstalling WinRAR, then install 7-Zip. [...]

One can have both 7-Zip and WinRAR installed. They have their own pros and cons.
WinRAR should still be great for compressing multimedia files, using its legacy RAR3 archive format.

7-Zip has great overall general compression, big dictionary sizes, but is poor at multimedia compression. Automation seems weak, and interface is not that well designed imho. It may decompress some archive files slower than other archivers (depending on archive type and CPU). It is open-source, and 7z files may be considered a worthwhile successor to ZIP files as a new universal standard for compressing files. 7-Zip can not create nor modify RAR files.

WinRAR 2.9 and up has nice automation imho, interface is appealing and well-thought. WinRAR may decompress files faster than other archivers (again, depending on archive type and CPU). It is a commercial product (trialware) which should not expire (it should only display reminders after the end of the trial period). WinRAR can not create nor modify 7-Zip files. RAR3 files decompress using less temporary HDD space than their 7-Zip counterparts.

Current WinRAR versions may use 2 archive formats :
- the RAR3 archive format (first introduced in WinRAR 2.9 ; legacy format)
- the RAR5 archive format (first introduced in WinRAR 5.0).

WinRAR 5.xx can create, modify and extract archives in both formats

The RAR3 archive format has great multimedia compression using specific algos, but has a small dictionary size (4 Mo at best). The RAR5 archive format simply *dropped* the specific multimedia compression algos, for something similar to what 7-Zip uses (LZMA / LZMA2). Dictionary sizes are now on par with 7-Zip.

Problem : given the same dictionary size, the RAR5 archive format seems to systematically fail to produce files smaller than 7-Zip's LZMA / LZMA2 algos, for general compression use.

Yet, the RAR3 archive format still can beat 7-Zip at multimedia compression, even with a 4 Mo dictionary size. Compressing large WAV files demonstrates that.
It is also spelt officially as "Warcraft", with a small c. This is different from StarCraft where the C is capitalized. No idea why Blizzard did this and I do agree it is kind of silly.

Thanks for reminding me. The official Warcraft (I) logo still confuses me, regarding these weird normalization issues.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
One can have both 7-Zip and WinRAR installed. They have their own pros and cons.
WinRAR should still be great for compressing multimedia files, using its legacy RAR3 archive format.
One really should not be compressing multimedia in an archive format anyway. If file size is a concern then lossy compression should be used such as various free MPEG codecs. Textures for games can be compressed with another approach where a combination of real time compression (lower GPU memory footprint) and lossy compression of that data is used to optimize file size, I believe Google made a tool for this intended for internet distribution of texture files but also used by some games. For free lossless audio compression there is FLAC and such formats.

Level 1
Your title does not match the question you are asking. JNGP has nothing to do with Warcraft III campaign files (w3n) and such files should come standalone as they are already compressed due to the format of MPQs

So, I was looking on this forum for download answers and I came across a person who said he was annoyed by that he had to answer 100 download questions and said something about JNGP. I of course assumed that and downloaded it. I ran it and it opened up on WinRAR. It said there was a 40 day trial. Also worth mentioning, when I dragged the Warcraft Custom Campaign file icon into the Warcraft III icon, the game changes IMMENSELY. I went into the game and went onto single player, then to custom game and then to downloads. There was all this custom maps that I have never downloaded.
Edit: Apparently this was so easy. So NVM

Last edited:

pyf

pyf

Level 32
One really should not be compressing multimedia in an archive format anyway. If file size is a concern then lossy compression should be used such as various free MPEG codecs. Textures for games can be compressed with another approach where a combination of real time compression (lower GPU memory footprint) and lossy compression of that data is used to optimize file size,

Lossless and lossy data compression have different goals and uses. Both WinRAR and 7-Zip deal with lossless data compression exclusively (means data remains identical at binary level after compression-then-decompression cycle).

One may compress anything losslessly, provided there is a substantial benefit in file size. Decompression time should be reasonably fast. Compression time/resources used might be an additional factor, especially in corporate environments. Lossless compression is generally used for easy archival purposes, or for faster/easier data transmission (generally over a network, but not exclusively).

Some multimedia files can be losslessly compressed. You only have to choose the right algo/format for that file type, if such an algo exists. As an example, for jpg *lossless* compression for archival purposes, please see here my two pastebins (done for comparison purposes)
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2819091-post4.html

For lossy data compression (exclusively targeting multimedia files, for obvious reasons), it is a trade-off between many considerations. Please see some general guidelines below (applies more or less to audio and video too)
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2820403-post19.html

So for example, one can perfectly decide to use less efficient (but still lossy) file compression, which will not alter perceived image quality, if there is a loading speed gain, at the price of additional HDD space, depending on the kind of computer one targets.

About software, I personally prefer to let people choose what suits their needs, as well as their computers. 7-Zip and WinRAR are kind of complementary imho. I use both. You already guessed which one I use everyday.

I believe Google made a tool for this intended for internet distribution of texture files but also used by some games. For free lossless audio compression there is FLAC and such formats.
Maybe it is related to the WebP image format ?

There are so many proposed standards for today's needs. And so much historical failed attempts before, too. Even interesting ones, like JPEG 2000 or FlashPix...

Nowadays, everyone has his own great standard project for everything (see BPG, FLIF...), and of course nobody agrees on anything. Even the JPEG standard is not *that* standard anymore, due to even more proposed extensions. What a mess. Which reminds me of :
https://xkcd.com/927/

Edit: Apparently this was so easy. So NVM
Glad to read you issue seems to be solved (?).

Level 1
All standard compression algorithms have some maximum memory size, beyond which they fail to detect patterns... but for some, this number is much larger than others. For Bzip, it's something like 900KB. For xz, it's something like 8MB (with default settings). For 7z, it's something like 2GB. Additionally, 7z also tries to be clever about placing files that are likely to be similar to each other next to each other in the archive, to help the compressor work better; tar doesn't know anything about that.

Lee

Status
Not open for further replies.