• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Windows 8 Developer Preview - don't download it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
NOTE: I'm not sure if this should go into Computer Tech section, move it if you will.

So. I saw yesterday, that our dearest and loved (not really) Microhard, pardon, Microsoft released a Developer Preview for their brand-new, super duper Yugilicious OS Windows 8. With Metro apps. :goblin_wtf:

So. As my XP was growing a silly beard for quite some time now, I said to myself: "Why the f*ck not? They say it's supposed to be gamer-friendly. You know, like Vista being user-friendly. :ogre_hurrhurr:" And I started the download of the 32-bit 2.8 GB Windows 8 client. So I download it...
...and burn it...
...and start installing it...
...watch some Ultimate Alien...
...and the installation is done.

So. A pretty green welcome screen jumped out at me, and for half an hour, I bantered with my mouse around it trying to do something. The first 2 minutes were experimenting, the other 28 were clicking out of rage. Well, apparently, you have to SCROLL THE WELCOME SCREEN DOWN, without ANY KIND OF EXPLANATION that you should to that, to bring up the menu. Herp derp. Ah well, they did some stupid stuff before, I can forgive them this crap.
Suddenly, tiles everywhere.
windows-8-start-screen.jpg

So. That is the Start menu. Yeah, remember that little fancy green button? Now it's a big badass green page. From here you can start Windows Explored, Internet Explorer, Games-worse-than-XP-classics Explorer etc. Well, it's actually not that bad at first. It can be used for easy PC browsing, rater than accessing everything you need by a bunch of unorganized programs on your Desktop. Which you now access via the Start page. :ogre_icwydt:

So. I go and visit my Desktop, finding out that my wireless D-Link router got screwed. Apparently, Windows 8 doesn't support D-Link drivers, so if you plan on using internet on a computer that connects to your wireless home network using this router... well, you're not gonna do it. I managed to contain my rage and check out if any of my games work. Well, guess what! THEY ACTUALLY DO! Not. Every single game I tried to start up left me with a DirectX or .NET Framework error, selling me some "yo mon, yew gotta missin' filez, brah", and I did a completely clean install. Now I gotta find my Windows XP Install CD and refresh the son of a b*tch to its original state.

So. The conclusion from a raging gamer - if you're hoping to play games and work on a Wireless network via D-Link, you're gonna get through a lot of trouble. DirectX and .NET Framework are something you could probably transfer to your PC for a USB Drive, but that's too much of a hustle for me to do now. I guess I'll be using the good ol' XP till the end of time. Narrat0r out.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Apparently, Windows 8 doesn't support D-Link drivers, so if you plan on using internet on a computer that connects to your wireless home network using this router... well, you're not gonna do it.

Why are you using a router to connect to a router? It surly would be more efficient to buy a wireless card and use that to directly connect to the wireless router than use some other router to.

If you mean the actual wireless card drivers are missing then that is your own fault for using a prerelease version of an OS where no manufacturer has yet made drivers for it. If it is based on the Windows 7 kernal you might be able to install the windows 7 compatible drivers for it seeing as they should function the same.

Well, guess what! THEY ACTUALLY DO! Not. Every single game I tried to start up left me with a DirectX or .NET Framework error
Same with Windows 7, vista and even XP. This is what happens if you do not bother installing the DirectX or NET Framework runtime components that the games need to run. Normally these are downloaded when you install the game however as you are running a prerelease version of windows 8 it is possible you need to manually install them as the auto instalation paths might not be valid.

Do not bother with prerelease versions intended for developers unless you have a great knowledge of computers.

Level 27
No seriously, that Start menu... it... it reminds me of that Mac gibberish so... so much. Is there any way we can get a normal interface in W8? Like in W7 or... brrr... Vista?

PS: Narrat0r, stop watching Ben 10. It's even worse than MLP if you ignore the fact that main characters are pink horsies. Seriously.

Level 4
No seriously, that Start menu... it... it reminds me of that Mac gibberish so... so much. Is there any way we can get a normal interface in W8? Like in W7 or... brrr... Vista?

PS: Narrat0r, stop watching Ben 10. It's even worse than MLP if you ignore the fact that main characters are pink horsies. Seriously.

So far I don't think there's any way to return the good ol' Start button. Shame.

PS Reply: I hate the first series, but I love Alien Force and Ultimate Alien, since they're much darker than that bullsh*t. Especially Alien Force, on-screen deaths yay!

Status
Not open for further replies.