• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How to create custom models and icons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
I need to know how can i made custom models, because i am working on my custom map, but i cant find the models that I need. + how can i made custom icons?

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
I've never modeled before but I have created icons.

Here's three programs to get you started in making Icons and some instructions on how to use them:
(Note: More Tools can be found in the Tools section)

Retera's Model Studio
Button Manager v1.8.2
BLP Lab v0.5.0

NOTE: These instructions are using the latest 1.31 patch. Some things might be different for previous versions.

1) Open Reteras Model Studio and navigate to Window -> Browsers -> Data Browser.
2) With the Data Browser open click the "war3.w3mod" folder. In that folder contains just about everything you want for modeling AND texturing.
3) Next we want to open the folder "replaceabletextures" and then select the "commandbuttons" folder.
4) Now right click the "commandbuttons" folder and click "Export" to export all of those files somewhere. I keep them in a folder called "Warcraft 3 Icons".
5) You now have access to all of the Icons. For example "btnacolyte.blp" is the icon for the Acolyte unit. Keep in mind that some icons will have different names than what you'd expect.
6) We can't edit the Icons just yet though. First we need to change the format of our desired Icon from blp to TGA because programs like Photoshop don't support blp files.
7) Open either of the other 2 programs I linked (blplab or buttonmanager) and open one of the newly exported Icons you wish to edit.
8) Once your icon is open, go to file -> save as (both programs can do this) and save the icon as a TGA file.
9) Now that you have a TGA version of your icon you can open it in a program like Photoshop and edit it as you please.
10) When you're done editing the icon save it again. Then open blplab/buttonmanager again and open your newly saved Icon.
11) This time we need to save the Icon as a blp file. Using the same process we used in Step 8, save the Icon again but this time as a blp. This is when you name your Icon to something like "BTNFireball".

Note: Just to clear up any confusion. The icon was originally a blp, then it was converted to a TGA, and now it has been converted back to a blp again.

12) The icon is now ready to be imported into your map for use.

HOWEVER, although that Icon is perfectly usable, we never actually created a Disabled version of it. Disabled icons are what show up ingame when you open the game menu or when your Hero isn't high enough level to learn a skill. Basically, it's the same icon but with a black mask over it. If you've ever seen an Icon turn bright green that's because it didn't have a Disabled version.

This is where Button Manager comes in handy. With this program you can easily add a filter to make your Icon look Disabled, Passive, Autocast, Upgrade, etc...

Creating a Disabled Icon (Or any other type):
1) Open Button Manager.
2) Open your Icon. (The blp version not the TGA)
3) Click Disabled and then go to file Save As and save your Icon. This is when you name your Icon to something like "DISBTNFireball".
4) After creating the Disabled version you're finished and can Import both of these Icons into your map. You no longer need the old TGA version but I usually keep them just in case I want to edit them again.

Example:
With an Icon named "Fireball" we would have 2 versions:
"BTNFireball.blp" for the normal icon.
"DISBTNFireball.blp" for the disabled version.

Once imported into your map the Icon's file paths should look like this:
ReplaceableTextures\CommandButtons\BTNFireball.blp
ReplaceableTextures\CommandButtonsDisabled\DISBTNFireball.blp

---------------------------------------------

For modeling, look up tutorials on how to do so or Request someone to make a model for you in the Requests forum. Took me a minute to find this: Modeling and Animation 101

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.