• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How-to : change game and world editor language

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
Hello,

I couldn't find a clear answer after googling and searching on HiveWorkShop. I somehow figured out a way, so I share it :

How to change the language of Warcraft 3 and World Editor
(Windows OS)

Context:
You have installed one or more occurences of the game. I will take the following example:
- One french version 1.31 has been installed in "C:\Program Files\Warcraft III"
- One french version 1.30.4 has been installed in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Warcraft III 1.30.4"
In my example, I change the language to english (enUS), because I am bored of not having the proper english names when googling an issue in World Editor :D

Note: about the other languages, I guess you can search in Windows local lists and just remove the "-": list here

There are 2 places where you have to set the language (because old versions behavior and new versions behavior are interfering):
1 - In registery (legacy, the old way of setting language)
2 - In the "Warcraft III Launcher.exe" parameters (new versions replaced the classic .exe by this launcher)

In registery
:
0) Stop any already running instance of Warcraft 3.
1) Open the registery editor (search for "Execute", open it, type "regedit" then OK).
2) Modify the following registery keys :
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Blizzard Entertainment\Classic Launcher\w3: Locale="enUS".
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Blizzard Entertainment\Classic Launcher\w3t: Locale="enUS" (optional).
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Blizzard Entertainment\Launcher: Locale="enUS".
upload_2019-6-14_15-26-49.png

DONE.

In the launcher parameters:
0) Stop any already running instance of Warcraft 3.
1) Go to your install directory (for me "C:\Program Files\Warcraft III").
2) Open "Launcher.db" with your favorite text editor (Notepad++, etc...).
upload_2019-6-14_15-16-19.png

3) Replace the content with the desired local, "enUS" in my case.
DONE.

Note: it seems that "Wacraft III launcher.exe" reads the value in Launcher.db everytime it is launched, and replace the value of the registery Locale key in "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Blizzard Entertainment\Classic Launcher\w3" with this value.

Edit: sorry for the french in screenshots. My operating system is in french..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.