• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How should the credits look like?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
As the tittle says - I wasn't sure, where to put that as it doesn't sound for me like a warcraft 3 editor question, but more as a site-relating one.

So....what's my point? Well, I want to ask about that, how should the credits in a map be written.

Example: I used 2-3 models from - let's say - General Frank's resources, then 2-3 icons from - for example - Pyritie etc., etc. At the end of downloading skins etc. I have resources from ~40 people. Do I have to type them all in credits or will it be enough if I write that models, skins etc. belong to their users or are from hiveworkshop?

Once more if a thread is wrong section, I'm sorry, it just didn't fit to wc3 editor help zone in my humble opinion.

About introduction: my thread has been made long time ago, so....^^

Level 7
As long as you keep their names in there along with the word credit I think they'll be happy. But leaving their names out will be a bad decision.

I remember using a spell made by Darky. I put the credit in the tooltip.

Well, I did it like that:

"Models, icons, skins and a few spells: www.hiveworkshop.com, wc3c.net and their respective makers"

I think that's a good compromise, isn't it?

People should be happy that resource providers give away resources for free. The only thing we ask in return is to recieve a proper acknowlegement/credit in the map as a sign of graditude.
I'd be pissed if I see a map that uses my stuffs but not have mentioned my username in the credits.

One clever way is to create an optional quest (via trigger editor) where you name it Credits and put all the authors names in that quest's description.
If the quest tab gets full, make an additional quest tab and fill in the rest.

In case you don't remember the author names, remember the names of the model files and search for them in the resource databases (and also from other sites if you've downloaded stuffs somewhere else). If you find the resources you search for, you'll definately find the author names.

Level 7
I think you should at least put their names.

It's going to take a lot of time then....wouldn't it be fair the way I have written in my post before? I saw such way of crediting in a few quite popular maps, I've even seen them on Hive so....isn't it enough ? I'm confused now.

@Down:

Hmmm...if you say so. I 'love' documentation, however I'll do it the way you ask for.

Level 31
I think that's a good compromise, isn't it?

Lol? its a very bad compromise, You take a ressource from someone that put efforts in, at least write his name in a quest (Quest thingy place used for information or quests normaly) used for a credit section. You know, Companies like blizzard are paying people to make Spells, models, Skins, Icons, Triggers. You get them for free, at least give credit lol.

Level 23
A very easy way, if you want to prevent from having documantation problems in the future...
Is writing down the models/skins/icons/spells/whatever name and the name of the creator down as a line in a trigger or in a seperate text file and copy pasta it into a quest when finishing your map...

It's going to take a lot of time then....wouldn't it be fair the way I have written in my post before? I saw such way of crediting in a few quite popular maps, I've even seen them on Hive so....isn't it enough ? I'm confused now.

Just get off your lazy ass and do it. Yes it's time consuming, but so is making a map. >__>

Status
Not open for further replies.