• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How Should a map versions be named properly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 16
hi guys.
I am making my map but I am not sure how I should name the versions. I just do it how I feel it: name+ X.yz (Three digits). I usually change z; y for a bit major changes; and yet I never changed X.
So, show the methods you know of how a map with versions should be named.
I do not wait one answer only.
Thanks in Advance

Depend of the importance of the map.

For a little map : arena, mini-map, etc...; i just make 1.0 and +0.1 for medium changes, +1.0 for big changes. And for the little changes i add letters ^^

For a big map, i make 1.00 and +1 for the very big changes, +0.1 for medium-big changes, +0.01 for medium changes and letters for the little changes.

Personally I use versions like "0.01a".
The letter at the end changes whenever I make a changes to the map.
The number is increased by +0.01 and the letter is reset to "a" every time after the map is updated online.

I always do Map name [1.0]

I never suggest 1.00 and any longer, it just doesn't look good.

That's a matter of preference. In my opinion "1.0" versions increase way too fast and if you plan to develop the map a lot the version number is soon in ridiculous heights.
Might be ideal for minigames and small maps though...

Level 2
[My suggestions]
Start with a new map, Map Name 1.0

-Small update or bugs fix-
Map Name 1.0b
>
Map Name 1.0c
>
Map Name 1.0d
>
Map Name 1.0e
>
Map Name 1.1

-A larger update- (New things added, systems, etc)
Map Name 1.1
>
Map Name 1.2
>
Map Name 1.3

-Major update- (Map has not been updated for long)
Map Name 2.0
>
Map Name 3.0
>
Map Name 4.0

Status
Not open for further replies.