• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

How to Number Versions Properly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
I've figured out a system of how to properly number your versions. There are two ways I usually number. One complex, the other very complex.

Option 1:
Example Map Version 1.2.3.45.67 (A.B.C.Dd.Ee).

A signifies the build. Usually, the value of A will be 1. Only increase the value of A when:
-New physical areas of the map are introduced
-New triggers are introduced
-New game concepts are introduced

B signifies the form. Usually, the value of B will not reach 9 before the value of A is increased. Only increase B when:
-Significant physical property changes to the map are introduced
-New units are introduced
-Objectives or goals are modified, simplified, or complicated
-New abilities or upgrades are introduced

C signifies the unit. Usually, the value of C will reach 9 before the value of B is increased, but it's not required by any means. Increase C when:
-Noticeable tweaks to physical properties are introduced
-New units are introduced
-Properties of units, abilities, or upgrades are modified
-Actions done by units, abilities, or upgrades are modified
-Multiple bugs are fixed
-Balancing issues are fixed or modified
-Triggers are modified

D signifies the client. Usually, the value of D will reach 9 before the value of C is increased and may go into the double digits (ex: version 1.2.3.45.6). Increase D when:
-Physical properties not restricting movement are modified
-Properties of units, abilities, or upgrades are modified slightly
-Minor games flaws are fixed
-Triggers are slightly modified

E signifies the user. Usually, the value of E will reach 9 before the value of C is increased and may go into the double digits (ex: version 1.2.3.4.56). Only increase the value of E when:
-Typos are fixed
-Game flaws to slight to note are fixed (ex: item A costs 10 gold more than the creator would like).

-------------------------------------------------------------

Words from my friend: "Ethan (me), option 1 isn't too bad of an idea. I have to say, I think it's overly complex, but it looks very neat when its written out :D."

So, like I always do, I took what he said personally and developed another option.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Option 2:
Example Map Version 1.23a (A.BbC)

A signifies the build. The value of A commonly exceeds 1, going sometimes as far as 8. Only increase the value of A when:
-The value of B has reached the desired maximum (.9, .99, .999, etc.)

B signifies the form. The value of B is the only cause for the value of A to increase. The value of B can be set at a desired maximum. For example, say you want the desired maximum of B to be .99. You are currently at version 1.23. You do enough modifying to your map for the value of B to exceed .99. You should then increase the value of A, so it reads 2.Bb, and the leftover "version points" carry over to the new build.

When to increase B is your opinion, but to be reasonable, it should stick along lines like these:

If the cap is .9, you will only use single digits. So, increase only when what you consider significant aspects/properties of the game are introduced/modified.

If the cap is .99, you will use double digits. You will have to use your best judgement to decide when to increase by increments of .01. Remember: you can increase by more than just .01. Depending on what you do to the map, it doesn't have to go: 1.23, 1.24, 1.25. It could go: 1.23, 1.27, 1.58 again, depending on what and how much you do to the map.

When I cap it at .999, it tend to set up a point system. If I'm creating a DOTA-like map: I will do something like:

New Hero: +.008
New Ability: +.003
New Unit: +.002
New Trigger: +.005-.099, depending on complexity.

You can setup a point system for any of the caps, I usually only need to use one for .999, however.

------------------------------------------------------

So, apologies for making this so lengthy. I wanted to be sure I gave you all of the information I had to offer. Let me know which one you prefer and why!

Status
Not open for further replies.