• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Version Numbering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
I've figured out a system of how to properly number your versions. There are two ways I usually number. One complex, the other very complex.

Option 1:
Example Map Version 1.2.3.45.67 (A.B.C.Dd.Ee).

A signifies the build. Usually, the value of A will be 1. Only increase the value of A when:
-New physical areas of the map are introduced
-New triggers are introduced
-New game concepts are introduced

B signifies the form. Usually, the value of B will not reach 9 before the value of A is increased. Only increase B when:
-Significant physical property changes to the map are introduced
-New units are introduced
-Objectives or goals are modified, simplified, or complicated
-New abilities or upgrades are introduced

C signifies the unit. Usually, the value of C will reach 9 before the value of B is increased, but it's not required by any means. Increase C when:
-Noticeable tweaks to physical properties are introduced
-New units are introduced
-Properties of units, abilities, or upgrades are modified
-Actions done by units, abilities, or upgrades are modified
-Multiple bugs are fixed
-Balancing issues are fixed or modified
-Triggers are modified

D signifies the client. Usually, the value of D will reach 9 before the value of C is increased and may go into the double digits (ex: version 1.2.3.45.6). Increase D when:
-Physical properties not restricting movement are modified
-Properties of units, abilities, or upgrades are modified slightly
-Minor games flaws are fixed
-Triggers are slightly modified

E signifies the user. Usually, the value of E will reach 9 before the value of C is increased and may go into the double digits (ex: version 1.2.3.4.56). Only increase the value of E when:
-Typos are fixed
-Game flaws to slight to note are fixed (ex: item A costs 10 gold more than the creator would like).

-------------------------------------------------------------

Words from my friend: "Ethan (me), option 1 isn't too bad of an idea. I have to say, I think it's overly complex, but it looks very neat when its written out :D."

So, like I always do, I took what he said personally and developed another option.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Option 2:
Example Map Version 1.23a (A.BbC)

A signifies the build. The value of A commonly exceeds 1, going sometimes as far as 8. Only increase the value of A when:
-The value of B has reached the desired maximum (.9, .99, .999, etc.)

B signifies the form. The value of B is the only cause for the value of A to increase. The value of B can be set at a desired maximum. For example, say you want the desired maximum of B to be .99. You are currently at version 1.23. You do enough modifying to your map for the value of B to exceed .99. You should then increase the value of A, so it reads 2.Bb, and the leftover "version points" carry over to the new build.

When to increase B is your opinion, but to be reasonable, it should stick along lines like these:

If the cap is .9, you will only use single digits. So, increase only when what you consider significant aspects/properties of the game are introduced/modified.

If the cap is .99, you will use double digits. You will have to use your best judgement to decide when to increase by increments of .01. Remember: you can increase by more than just .01. Depending on what you do to the map, it doesn't have to go: 1.23, 1.24, 1.25. It could go: 1.23, 1.27, 1.58 again, depending on what and how much you do to the map.

When I cap it at .999, it tend to set up a point system. If I'm creating a DOTA-like map: I will do something like:

New Hero: +.008
New Ability: +.003
New Unit: +.002
New Trigger: +.005-.099, depending on complexity.
Bug Fix: +.001-.049, depending on severity of the bug.

You can setup a point system for any of the caps, I usually only need to use one for .999, however.

C signifies the overall stability of the game. Values of C include:
a: Alpha version. Very basic, unstable, and incomplete. To be used for testing purposes. Overall version will be under 1.0 at this time.
b: Beta version. Slightly unstable and basic, but can be played from beginning to end. Overall version should not exceed 1.25 at this time. Reset to 1.0 when the full version is released.
blank, nothingness: Finished product.
d (type 1): Delta version. Highly incomplete, unstable, and incomplete. Still being produced. Overall version should not exceed .10 at this time.
d (type 2): Delta version. See below
e: Echo version. See below

Value C can be any value at any time disregarding the values of A and B. You will have to use your judgement to decide which value C fits.
B and C both regard the properties of the game. I suppose it's safe to say that C's value isn't too important, but can be used nonetheless.

Say you have version 1.23 of your map. You have made modifications to a certain aspect, and for your own reasons, you don't want to increase the value of B. Here, you can increase the value of C. So, instead of making it version 1.24 or whatever, you can say: version 1.23d. And then with more modifications, 1.23e, 1.23f, 1.23g, 1.23h. Traditionally, only the following letters are used:
d
e
f
g
h
i

If you reach i for value C, it's safe to say it's time to increase value B. Once value B is increased, value C resets to nothing. Remember, value C doesn't always have to be included.
------------------------------------------------------

So, apologies for making this so lengthy. I wanted to be sure I gave you all of the information I had to offer. Let me know which one you prefer and why!

Status
Not open for further replies.