• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

How much can you modify Warcraft 3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not exactly a World Editor question, but I was wondering how much can Warcraft 3 be modified to enable (if at all possible) things like dynamic shadows and the like - for example, for an HQ remake with better lighting, unit shadows like in Sc2, bloom, HDR, etc. I don't really know the specifics of what it can currently actually do, but I was just curious as to it's limitations and how much it can be pushed (and perhaps how).

Level 20
I think you could manipulate teh War3 default MPQ and add improved models and textures. You could also modify the Blizzard.j and common.j to add custom functions. You can change most of the Wc3 interface (in and outside) and other stuff BUT anyone wanting to play the maps donde with those modifications will need the same MPQ. I think you can also manipulate the AI.

Level 30
It depends on how your creativity can go but take in mind the limitation that Wc3 has such as 8MB limit. But all in all, it just depends on how you do it, by seeing through famous maps here, you can realize that you can make something like that or better.

Well I was thinking more on the lines of MPQ edits (or other files) to add new features to the base game itself, like dynamic shadows. Another thing could be altering the UI, like, for the sake of example, turn it into the Dota 2 interface, with a specific courier button and such. I don't mean to say that's what I want to do, but just checking to see if that actually possible at all.

I'm quite aware of what the World Editor can do, but even it has it's limitations :p

Level 26
No, you cannot freely modify the ui (like adding new buttons, moving the minimap or changing the screen section). Dynamic shadows can only be simulated via dummies. You need to do the calculations and everything yourself and there is no effective support to gather information about graphics.

To OP:
I recommend looking at reinventing the craft(rtc). They pretty much tell what can be done.
Will do :)

@WaterKnight: I think that's what OP is trying to: modifying War3 game rather than just some map features.
Indeed. I was just intrigued about the limitations of the game because I'm curious about how much it can still be improved and give it a fresh coat of paint, so to speak :) (ENB was something I tried, and although it gave some satisfactory results it still wasn't much), not that I plan on doing anything xD

Level 17
It can be improved as much as you want, however that would require a person to modify the game code.
Ironically, despite the popularity of wc3 in the modding community there have been virtually no graphic mods for it. (compared to things like Morrowind for example)

We could blame that on two things, one being that it is predominantly a multiplayer game.
Tampering with the source code could cause your game to not work online or in worse case cause your battlenet account to be suspended because such modifications are very likely against the terms of use.
Secondly, online maps have 8mb filesize limitations. You can do very little with that much space pretty much limiting anything past that to single player or use of local files which has similar drawbacks as the first reason.
There is also the problem that everybody would have to download such modification for it to work.

That being said, if filesize is not an issue you can fake many things.
You can fake physics, shadows, illumination and other things by creating such animations/textures manually on a per-model basis.
Things that would require to modify the game obviously can't be done, but you can do/fake a lot of what current generation games can do.
Obviously it would take much more time and effort than using pre-made assets, unless you rip assets from modern games, lots of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.