• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

[Cinematic] how do you terrain a small orc town for a cinematic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
i dunno what buildings and such to use any tips on buildings units paths and stuff for an small orc town

i need it for my cinematic

also what fog effects do i use to make it look like its night time and raining

EDIT: this is what i have so far what other dodads can i add to improove this?

Last edited:
Level 13
You'd definitely would want to work on the walls and roofs of those buildings, the amount of pixels are way too far stretched and ugly.

You'd want to use a more barrens type of tileset in order to get a more orcisch feeling.

Level 15
Where to start... it looks too plain;

- the grass and stone look noobish and bad against the buildings, put barrens tile sets.
- how do you want the camera to move in such tight space, space everything out more(this way it won't look so.. brown and plain at first sight).. and raise and lower terrain too when it's spaced out more, too flat.
- add units, citizens.. guards..
- add landmarks in the vicinity, maybe a swamp nearby, town is next to a mountain, or river through town, be creative.
- add a night sky and torches
- if you will put rain, then add a few puddles here and there.
- add stables, and animals (farms).
- you need trees, animated grass maybe too.
- fog effect is a must.

Level 15
so change the tile set to barrens(now that i changed the tile set to barrens what do i do to make a good looking lake?)
also where can i download some tree models to suit barrens tile set
make the size of it larger and not so squire
add bushes/rocks
landmarks i have added you cant see them (a hill then on the other side i forest)
units
tourches
add puddles(how can i do that because if i use lower its a far way down untill you hit water still)

what fog effect do i do to make it look night time and raining??

Last edited:
Level 3
If you download the http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/maps-564/2ultimate-terrainign-map-80820/?prev=search%3Dultimate%2520terraining%26d%3Dlist%26r%3D20 You will have access to many more Orc Models (along with the ones you are already using).
As far as the terrain looks, its very generic. Looks more like a melee map with custom models than a cinamatic. Try looking at some other
peoples barrens terrains to get inspiration.
Old terraining contests usually have some decent stuff, try looking here:
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/contest-archive-227/terraining-challenge-2007-2008-a-32239/
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/contest-archive-227/

Also, I often find its best for me to start with a sketch or something of what I roughly want the landscape to look like before I start.
It's best to have at least a basic idea of what you envision before you start.
**As others have said, go to "Advanced - Change Tileset" and select "Barrens"

Status
Not open for further replies.