1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The poll for Hive's 12th Concept Art Contest is up! Go cast your vote for your favourite genie!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Travel to distant realms and encounter scenes unknown to the common folk. The Greatest of Adventures is upon us with the 8th Cinematic Contest. Join in on a fun ride.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The 18th Icon Contest is ON! Choose any ingame unit and give him/her Hero abilities. Good luck to all.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Contestants are to create a scene set in the Stone Age. Come and see what you can come up with. We wish you the best of luck!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Colour outside the lines! Techtree Contest #13 is a go. The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Greetings cerebrates, our Swarm needs new spawners that will have numerous children. Join the HIVE's 31st Modeling Contest - Spawners and Spawned! The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

How do you make villagers harvest properly?

Discussion in 'World Editor Help Zone' started by Standhaft, Aug 15, 2019.

1. Standhaft

Standhaft

Resources:
    Resources:
    How do you make villagers harvest properly?

Using the proper work animations and stuff.

I have a feeling someone has already asked this question, but when I googled for it I just found stupid and unhelpful answers on other sites and it wasn't working when I tried to search for it on hive for some reason.

If this has already been answered, sorry for asking it again, but can you link me to it please?

2. The_Silent

The_Silent

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    They only have the work animation with the pickaxe, is that one not working? or are you looking to add the peasant's work animations to the villager?

3. Standhaft

Standhaft

Resources:
    Resources:
    Right now they just attack trees by punching them and have no animation for carrying lumber or gold. Also, they punch to repair as well.

4. The_Silent

The_Silent

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Well, they never had animations for gold and lumber. So you would have to add those using Retera's model editor,.or get someone else to do it for you.

But it is weird that they do not use their default work animation.

5. RaidonGod

RaidonGod

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Maybe you could use another model? I mean map size isn't that much of a problem anymore.
    Villager 255 Animations
    This one should have some decent animations IIRC.

6. The_Silent

The_Silent

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    It does not have proper gold/lumber animations, as they are used for other stuff like bow animations. So that one will not work.

7. RaidonGod

RaidonGod

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Oh! I thought it was one of those enhanced villager models with proper animations.
    Long time ago I used one, but not sure where I'd get it and if I still have it, thought it was the 255 Animations Version.
    My apologies.

8. Standhaft

Standhaft

Resources:
    Resources:
    I don't understand. Does that mean there is no way to fix it?

I could have sworn I have seen them harvesting and working in the campaign... but maybe I imagined that.

9. BloodSoul

BloodSoul

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    In the campaign, Trudging through the Ashes map (RoC_U01), they are just playing stand work animation through triggers.

RUM1Harvesters.png
    • Harvesters Start
      • Events
      • Conditions
      • Actions
        • -------- Space out the animations to prevent them from being sync'd --------
        • Animation - Play HarvesterFake's stand work animation
        • Wait 0.20 seconds
        • Animation - Play Harvester1's stand work animation
        • Wait 0.20 seconds
        • Animation - Play Harvester2's stand work animation

10. Standhaft

Standhaft

Resources:
    Resources:
    So they never carry lumber back to the mill then?

11. BloodSoul

BloodSoul

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    I'm afraid I can't help you any further because I have zero knowledge in modeling/animating.

All I know is that the standard villager model shouldn't display any lumber/gold being carried as they do not have those animations. Perhaps you could ask someone here to attach that piece of wood/lumber and their respective animations to the villager model for you.

If I'm not mistaken, the villager will need these animations after having the lumber model attached to him:

attack lumber
    stand lumber
    stand work lumber (optional - for building structures while carrying lumber)
    walk lumber

stand work is only naturally played when the unit is building a structure.

12. The_Silent

The_Silent

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I can make a model for you with the animations, but won't have time till Friday evening.

13. Strydhaizer

Strydhaizer

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
  14. Standhaft

Standhaft

Resources:
    Resources:
    I am not home right now to test it, but that's awesome, thanks. I'll let you know the results as soon as I run it.

15. Standhaft

Standhaft

Resources:
    Resources:
    So I've imported the file into the import manager, but how do I add the animation to the villager?

I remember in the past I have used custom models, but I don't think I have ever used a custom animation before. I couldn't intuitively figure out what to change. I was guessing something in the animations/art of the villager.

What do I need to edit/where do I need to put the file?

16. Strydhaizer

Strydhaizer

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Just replace the human peasant with the villager I provided.

17. Standhaft

Standhaft

Resources:
    Resources:
    It works pretty cool. I think I have something set wrong though because the portrait comes up black instead of a villager face.

He also looks like he is punching the tree and not using a pickaxe, but he does carry lumber/gold which is great.

Edit: I just discovered something very strange. The normal villager will use the pickaxe properly to repair if you give him the repair ability.

If only there was some way to just get him to harvest like that.

18. Strydhaizer

Strydhaizer

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    I updated the pastebin link I provided, import both models, if you change the filename of the base model make sure you rename the other one (with '..._Portrait' in the filename) aswell but don't remove the '_Portrait' in the filename, so you should have both VillagerWithWorkAnim.mdx and VillagerWithWorkAnim_Portrait.mdx in your map, the portrait should work properly after that.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
  19. Standhaft

Standhaft

Resources:
    Resources:
    The portrait is working now, but they still punch the trees instead of hitting them with their pickaxes.

The repair animation looks perfect. I just want to swap their attack/harvest animation (punching) with their repair animation (pickaxing).