• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How do you have multiple maps on a battlenet game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
I have looked and looked, and cannot find out how map makers create multiplayer games with multiple maps in them.
I have heard people say it is impossible yet I have seen it done on multiple maps.
Some examples are Cruiser Commander and Aliens 2.

Level 28
I don't know those maps, so I'll just ask a few questions:
- Do these games load other maps while still in the same map? (really... loading, with loading screen and everything).
- If the above statement is false, does the minimap change? (if it's a custom minimap and it remains the same, it also counts as "not changing").

I have tried to load another map in multiplayer with my friend and we both got kicked to single player.
It is impossible to load another map as far as I know.

The only thing you can do is change the camera boundaries, so you cannot move your camera outside a box, making it look like an entirely new terrain, while it actually is still the same map.

Last edited:
Level 8
Cruiser Commander uses the method ap0calypse just said.
Minimap is all black so you can't see where you really are. And well made zoom effect gives impression that there are 2 different maps with 2 different environments.

Level 9
You can also use ubersplats as a load screen, covering the whole screen with a screen that screams "LoAdInG, I Ist AwSum!" instead of the standard "Loading, I am so Boring". Just import your own ubersplat to create a loading screen ingame

Level 5
Okay, that answers my question. Here is another question.
How does larger maps than possible in normal world editor perform on bnet?
And also, If I used something like say, world editor unlimited, would all the terrain tiles work?

Level 19
Okay, that answers my question. Here is another question.
How does larger maps than possible in normal world editor perform on bnet?
And also, If I used something like say, world editor unlimited, would all the terrain tiles work?

1. Maps that are over 4MB's works bad, with increased loading time, and realy slowly downloading time. Size is not that big factor, the matter is how many things you have into and onto the map.

2. Don't ever use WE:U.

Level 28
1. Maps that are over 4MB's works bad, with increased loading time, and realy slowly downloading time. Size is not that big factor, the matter is how many things you have into and onto the map.

2. Don't ever use WE:U.

1. Map Size or File Size?
I think he meant map size (like 256x256), but I'm not really sure either...
Well, a larger map doesn't do much in general, but because it's bigger it's only normal that it contains more units, doodads, props etc. and those can cause lag for players with a slower PC.

2. Completely true, use JNGP instead if you want the terraining-options of WEU without the inefficient triggers, utilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.