• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How do i protect my map from being edited by others?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
I had an issue where someone claimed my map as their own by changing credits.
Is there a way to block off some files in the map that allow the map to be launched thru the editor but still leave the map playable thru Warcraft?

I read something about this but it had fake download links.

There are several steps you can do to block simple and straight reading via editor, how ever there also exists ways to make it readable again.
You probaably will never achieve a fully protected map, as long warcaft can still read it. If the engine can read, that means data is still there which can be read by anone other, too.

Most common "protections" use just map optimizter tool which optimizes data from your map which leads to a crash when trying to open it with editor.
Search for wc3 map optimizer (I think 4.0), and ensure you make a backup of your map.

Level 7
There are several steps you can do to block simple and straight reading via editor, how ever there also exists ways to make it readable again.
You probaably will never achieve a fully protected map, as long warcaft can still read it. If the engine can read, that means data is still there which can be read by anone other, too.

Most common "protections" use just map optimizter tool which optimizes data from your map which leads to a crash when trying to open it with editor.
Search for wc3 map optimizer (I think 4.0), and ensure you make a backup of your map.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.