• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How do I make a good fight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hi all. For the first mission of my campaign, there's going to be a cinematic of several groups of Orcs and a large undead army fighting, but I've never done a cinematic before. I'd like to make some units use certain spells and abilities at set points in the battle, but I don't know how. Can anyone help? I really don't want everyone to just be attack-moving towards each other and hacking away, as I think it would look kind of boring.

Oh, and while I'm here, I have another question; how do you do that wounded/bleeding animation that you see in campaign cinematics sometimes (like with Gul'dan on 'The Tomb of Sargeras' or Kel'thuzad on 'The Cult of the Damned')? It's not in the 'poses' list for units on the left sidebar of the WE when in the Units Layer.

Level 12
Ad 2): Play death animation for unit and change animation speed to 1% or like that. That is perhaps the way they did it.

Ad 1): Basic thing which is very understimated is good using of cameras. Camera should follow the plot of scene, concentrating on important things, and be dynamic, especially in battle.

It is better to first set camera movement, and then adjust units to camera, and not vice versa! That needs of course good work with cameras, but once you learn this, you can make very good cinematics, without SFX spamming etc.

camera is basic, everything other must be cooperating with cameras.

Level 14
Oh, and while I'm here, I have another question; how do you do that wounded/bleeding animation that you see in campaign cinematics sometimes (like with Gul'dan on 'The Tomb of Sargeras' or Kel'thuzad on 'The Cult of the Damned')? It's not in the 'poses' list for units on the left sidebar of the WE when in the Units Layer
Add the unit a buff that has the bleed model.

Level 3
if its a big battle add many units but make a new custom one that has like 1 health and just continuely spawn them and attack ground at a point, also the cameras are very important as previously stated like if you can get this to work u should try to start it at the ground really close so you only see the troops feet, and add a shake affect then fade out to the and back in to each of the leaders, then a few different views of the whole battle with some decent battle music.

Level 5
If the battle is about an army vs another army, make units in formation and have archers shooting all at once. If it's a fight between two characters, then you would use special effects, cameras, animations, sound effects, and music. You can use Fade Filters as well such as: Diagonal Slash (100% Red) in your fight and use Spells such as Jumping, etc.

Oh, and while I'm here, I have another question; how do you do that wounded/bleeding animation that you see in campaign cinematics sometimes (like with Gul'dan on 'The Tomb of Sargeras' or Kel'thuzad on 'The Cult of the Damned')? It's not in the 'poses' list for units on the left sidebar of the WE when in the Units Layer.

Under The Trigger- Special Effects
The blood would be Objects\Spawnmodels\Human\HumanLargeDeathExplode\HumanLargeDeathExplode.mdl under abilities.

Level 2
Set units at a encampment and have them like prepping maybe a speech to set the mood. then once you're ready, get a War cry sound from someone undead or orc and make the units move to a region ( in my fight scenes i name the region "Battle Location") and once they get there they will attack each other with normal attacks, set there HP rly high in object editor for a longer fight. make wait times and have heroes cast spells. add ambiance. if you need a good place for ambiance music go to newgrounds.com they have alot of different types of music. i use their music. but yea add fog to the map make it seem like death has happened and has been war-struck. add props. corpses. stuff like that. dead trees. use different packs of trees don't stick to just 1. im making a similar scene if u want i will send you the cinematic link. but yea, im happy if i helped
- Ktwonn

Status
Not open for further replies.