• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How do I deal with laziness?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

I mean in school.

I am yet to do homework at home. I just don't even open my books at home.

How can I fix this and get inner motivation for studying?

It is honestly about forcing yourself to do things you don't want to do.

During high school, my calculus homework took ~6 hours. 1 hour was spent doing actual work, and 5 hours was spent putting the calc book on my desk and opening it.

You should keep all your supplies right next to you so that you won't have any excuse not to do your work. Turn on a good playlist, and put the computer aside (unless your homework is on the computer, in which case it is tough not to distract yourself).

It also helps to write a schedule for yourself. If you make an actual schedule--e.g. "at 2:00 p.m. I will work on this assignment, and reserve 2 hours for it"--then you can get your work done in a timely manner, and it'll usually be easier to force yourself to commit to the work. When everything is up in the air, you'll only end up working on it when you absolutely know that you must work on it--which means that everything will be procrastinated until the end, and you'll often stay up late trying to get work done.

Don't get me wrong, I have horrible study habits. No one is that on top of things, but every little bit helps. Just make sure you don't fall behind--and if possible, try to stay ahead. I'll often motivate myself to pile in a lot more work during the week so my weekends will be free, and that makes life a lot better. ;)

Level 21
It's a lot about whether you find any meaning in what you're doing. In order to get something useful out of school, other than the basic things, you'll need to understand why you are going to school in the first place.
Many people do not think of this before it's too late.

Personally, I motivate myself by sophistication and being good at something in general. For instance, I used to find maths a very boring and useless subject, but now I am interested about learning it, because I can use it to do something cool.
In the case of maths I am motivated by the fact that this kind of knowledge allows me to make better and more fun maps.
Ideally you should have something like this for every subject.

However, I have to admit that I, too, am a lazy bum. Also, I am not motivated to learn every subject. For instance, russian is something that at this point feels beyond my reach, as I was forced to learn it without any real incentive to do so and by now the system expects me to know more than I do. I'm trying to bend my love of being good at stuff in general into making me learn russian though and eventually I will.

tl;dr - If you want something hard enough, then you are more likely to get it. If you don't actually want to learn the things taught in school, then there is no way to force them into your head.

Level 35
Pay attention during class and you won't have to do homework. Besides, teachers know that they usually give you more homework than you can manage, thus even if you complete a marginal portion thereof, you at least learn a part of what is supposed to be learned.

The way I finished high school was play video games (practacing for competitive play) and spend at a later time of day spend doing homework.

This was anytime around 5 to 8 pm to start homework.
If I was up for it I would also study when I get up in the morning.
I would try and wake up a little earlier so I still have time to prepare to leave the house, this way I have pressure to do some quick study.

Also whenever else I have time to kill and don't want to game or the such (I don't really read novels).

If I remember right though I had to train and try and force myself into this kind of routine for a while before I felt the effect work.

Idk though everyone has there own way and am not really sure how others learn, although I know it's not just about looking at the books but actually learning how to absorb the information you need/want to learn.

I kinda spent most of my time learning how to learn the things I needed to learn instead of actually learning which kinda reflected on my grades haha.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Just don't do it if you don't like.
You're not made for school.Chances are your personality type doesn't fit scholar system.
Quit and learn a job that fit you now before wasting more time of your life in school.
You need to have the guts to step out of the treadmill and master your destiny.
I fear that would make me an unemployed bum :/

@PurgeandFire : Schedule might be the only thing to get my lazy ass moving. Otherwise I'd just be on the PC for "a couple of mins", meaning the rest of the night. Thanks for suggestion.

@Xonok : So you mean growing an interest towards each subject would help me learn? I fear that's not enough :/ I really was intrigued by Biology, but got six from it (grades varying from 4-10, 4 lowest), because still I was too lazy to do homework lol... :(

Pay attention during class and you won't have to do homework. Besides, teachers know that they usually give you more homework than you can manage, thus even if you complete a marginal portion thereof, you at least learn a part of what is supposed to be learned.
Sadly that won't be enough in hi school :'( I gotta do homework, that's why I need tips on decreasing my laziness

@DeathChef : Routines seem like the way to go...

Thanks for your suggestions, I guess I'll start working on a homework schedule when my next time table starts, which is next week :)

Kazeon

Hosted Project: EC
Level 33
Normally, I will never ever do something I don't want to do. But I have found a motivation to force myself to do those bullshits (school to be specific): I don't want to disappoint my old man no matter what. But since basically I'm a "don't care" type of person, that motivation is still not enough. But I can suggest you to find a powerful motivation why you do things. If there is really no reason, then you may leave it. Do something that you think it's more valuable.

Just want to share my experience. Once I have already tried to beg to my parents to quit my school before I die under brain complication, but their paradigms are too "primitive". They think that school is everything, you can't make your life without school. Whereas for today, that idea is totally invalid, am I wrong? Your school record is totally bullshit if you get it by cheating (you know what I'm talking about). Even though I have never made a good record, but now I'm a proud idiotic because I have never ever cheated so far, except for urgent homeworks. Once I made it to be 4th best record in my class, but now it become the worst shame in my life because I achieved it by cheating. Well, just forget it. No matter how you achieved your record, no cheat or by cheat, school is still a bullshit. It's going to be the greatest regret of my life for wasting my precious childhood times for stresses. But once again, I do it just because I love my parents, it's even a greater regret to disappoint them.

Oh wait, there is a quite efficient way to reduce your laziness level: go get a girlfriend :thumbs_up:

I fear that would make me an unemployed bum :/
Yep but unlike those who wasted years in school you will be a young unemployed bum who still has time to learn a job.
If you force your way into school no matter what because that's the conventional thing to do.Bear in mind that it get worse at university they expect you to sacrifice 70% of free time to studies.
And if you don't manage to finish it till the end after 3 years at least it's as if you never went to university because only the final diploma matters.
And you will still end up an unmployed bum but older who wasted more years.

Level 14
Yep but unlike those who wasted years in school you will be a young unemployed bum who still has time to learn a job.
If you force your way into school no matter what because that's the conventional thing to do.Bear in mind that it get worse at university they expect you to sacrifice 70% of free time to studies.
And if you don't manage to finish it till the end after 3 years at least it's as if you never went to university because only the final diploma matters.
And you will still end up an unmployed bum but older who wasted more years.

I've heard from many of my teachers that university was a lot more pleasant than the Finnish high school. Also in Finland (where jondrean is from IIRC) you don't have to go to university, since there are these "universities of applied sciences (AMK)" which are basically really advanced trade schools, like an university with more of the practical side.

He could of course switch to trade school if studying isn't his thing, but I think it's worth trying to find the motivation before abandoning the possibility of a higher education.

I wish I could offer some advice, but I really can't since I haven't even solved my own lack of motivation. Of course there's the generic "sleep well, get exercise" thing.

Level 28
I recorded one of the most cutted class on my high school and still graduated on a pretty decent grade(almost made it with honors if only I attended more class) so I say you'll do just fine with being lazy. My uncle told me that school is just a place where you show off high grades and stuff, he only recorded average grades even on college yet he became a very successful engineer, he told me it will all still comes down on how you do well on actual work. So I say that you think of what you want to do for your future and go for it.

Level 5
You don't. You embrace it. You live by it. You let it consume your essence until you become one.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Just failed a maths test about Formulas and Functions. I just don't understand how can I solve the formulas with ^2
The teacher was a total cuntbad, he taugh for TEN MINUTES, TEN!! But I know it's my fault for not listening well enough during those 10 minutes...
Can anyone help with hi school formulas? I can redo the test after few weeks. :(

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

^I did study home, I'm not that hopeless lol.

It's just not the same when you need to study by yourself.

That's just squaring the equation.

Did you get one like (4y + 2)^2 = (4y + 2) x (4y + 2) = 8y^2 + 8y + 4 ?

This is called foil (first, outer, innet last).

What grade level in school are you and what is your maths class's name.

If you don't mind telling.

You shouldn't really care about learning maths much untill late in the school years.
It's mostly just about kinda simple knowledge.

Word of advise; try asking your teacher about what kind of formula you'll need for the next test.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Okay. I'm going to walk you through this. First of all, you capitalize that 'i' in the thread title before somebody with a keen nose for grammatical details drops by and--

Oh, wait. Somebody already did that? YOU LAZY PIECE OF SHIT!

Hugs and kisses,
fladdermasken

Level 22
its easy to be lazy when your parents are taking care of you but when they die and you begin to starve your laziness will go away pretty fast
Depends, when my dad was alive I was doing a lot of stuff since I always help him do stuff. Now that he's gone, I'm not doing much stuff anymore, motivation gone...

EDIT: Point: I got lazier.

Level 7
If you are lazy when there is no teacher do drawing stuff...
If you are lazy when there is a teacher pay attention on him/her seriously, asking some question will make you not too lazy to do it...
If this doesn't work you have to fix yourself

Level 14
If you are lazy when there is no teacher do drawing stuff...
If you are lazy when there is a teacher pay attention on him/her seriously, asking some question will make you not too lazy to do it...
If this doesn't work you have to fix yourself

So your advice is basically "stop being lazy"? Great, it was that simple and nobody noticed.

Status
Not open for further replies.