• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How do I add my own Models to Engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
I have many custom assets I can light up the modding scene with, problem is that I can't get anything into the engine. I have no way of converting my stuff to the right textures and model file types.

How do I get my assets converted to the right file formats for the engine to read? Thanks

Level 3
The right model type for the World Editor is .mdx/.mdl and for the textures it mostly uses .blp

What's your asset type?
My assets are model files that I'm guessing need exported as mdx then. Are there any restrictions on bone and poly amounts that I need to know about? How much custom stuff can i fit into my map? (Old version had a limit) Does the engine support dynamic cloth physics?

Level 7
(Old version had a limit)
Wait... Are you using WC3 Reforged World Editor? Because I don't know anything about it. I'm sorry. > <
But if you are using the normal WC3, you can continue

Are there any restrictions on bone and poly amounts that I need to know about?
No restriction for the bone I think, I used WoW ripped models on the engine that have many bones yet the model still work fine. :]
For the poly amounts, just don't go too much. It can crash the engine.

How much custom stuff can i fit into my map?
As far as I know, for a singleplayer map is +-2GB. I'm not sure for a multiplayer map tho, maybe below 100MB.

Does the engine support dynamic cloth physics?
No. :]

Correct me if, I'm wrong ;]

Multiplayer limit:
Pre 1.24: 4MB
1.24-1.27a: 8MB
1.27b-1.29(?): 128MB
1.30(?)-1.32: 256MB

Not sure when they increase limit after 1.27b patch. There's a 255 emitter limit for 1.31-1.32 (I am not sure for 1.30), 256 for other patches.

There's a thread about corrupted model in the Modelling forum. That might give insight on limitations. HD for Reforged uses different extensions for icons and models, I think it was .tga and .fla respectively.

Level 3
Multiplayer limit:
Pre 1.24: 4MB
1.24-1.27a: 8MB
1.27b-1.29(?): 128MB
1.30(?)-1.32: 256MB

Not sure when they increase limit after 1.27b patch. There's a 255 emitter limit for 1.31-1.32 (I am not sure for 1.30), 256 for other patches.

There's a thread about corrupted model in the Modelling forum. That might give insight on limitations. HD for Reforged uses different extensions for icons and models, I think it was .tga and .fla respectively.

Very informative. I'm using Neodex to import my models to mdx. I attempted to simply import a sphere from 3ds max but it doesn't show up in editor. In the import manager the size reads 0 kb as if the file didn't get imported or something. Is there anything specific I have to do during import to make my model show up? I have no errors, it's just invisible. Maybe I need nodes or bones on the model? Thanks for the help. I'm using the latest world editor by the way

Last edited:
Level 3
Make sure the Textures (.blp) is imported too ^^
Also if your textures have specific paths, make sure you edit it in the import manager.

Do I need textures on the model? Right now when I import it I don't even get an error message when spawning it into the world. Is it supposed to be listed as 0 kb in the asset manager?

Level 3
Use this Sanity Test | HIVE to check for errors

My friend this seems very useful. It's telling me:

4 warnings
Missing "Death" sequence
No textures
No materials
No bones

Is this why I can't see the model? Also my model is skinned to a bone with a skin modifier, how do I make sure the bone is recognized and my texture is read? I'm using neodex

Last edited:
Level 7
Death animations and bones aren't really necessary for the model to appear in the engine, for example: a Rock (No Animations, No Bones)

But materials and textures are needed for the model to appear. (Perhaps... Well... Maybe a SFX model can still appear)

Level 3
Death animations and bones aren't really necessary for the model to appear in the engine, for example: a Rock (No Animations, No Bones)

But materials and textures are needed for the model to appear. (Perhaps... Well... Maybe a SFX model can still appear)

Oh, I was told every model at least has to have a stand animation. I'm using Neodex to export the model and at this time I have no idea how I'm supposed to export it with a texture. I applied the war3 texture from neodex and I exported it but it's still saying no texture. At this time my model is invisible. Also do you know of any good tools to extract models from reforged so I can study them and at least make sure the size is right? Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.