• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Custom Assets Stopped Working

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Making a custom map when suddenly, right in the middle of designing, WAM all custom assets (models and icons) abruptly stop working. They were working fine for the past 5 days, then suddenly green icons and checkered box models. Restarting the editor didnt fix it and they don’t show up in-game. All the file sizes were reduced to 0 and I had to reimport them all to finally fix it, but as i get more assets it would take a long time to keep reimporting them.

What happened, anyone know the cause? Is this a bug that should be reported?

Level 9
I've stopped progress on many maps because I lost all my asset's which worked before then stopped and turned into green cubes which I'm guessing is something to do with how you save your map or something. But I don't know and I would like to so I don't lose all my progress or even have to reimport everything again... Haven't uploaded a single map on here because of this issue. I just end up giving up. lol

Level 4
You reply on a old topic i see, but i do had the same issue with everything suddenly stopped working with my custom models as well. i also had green cubes but i think while saving, something went wrong it seems, after that i removed them all ( like around 20 models ) and reimported them and i did not "had" that bug so far anymore.

But i do notice a bug sometimes with importing new costum models that i cannot host anymore, when i want to host the map i get undefined and no slots is displayed of the players while the map runs fine when i test it with the world editor.... it seems some models also cause a bug.

I will attach a screenshot of this so you can see

Attachments

• warcraft3costumgame-undefined.PNG
    warcraft3costumgame-undefined.PNG
    913.3 KB · Views: 21
This is a known bug, and can happen randomly when saving the map. There is a rumor that it happens more frequently if you click "Test map" without saving the map first.

To fix this you will have to re-import all the assets into your map. To avoid this in the future you can A) save your map as a folder every time you save it or B) always keep a backup of all your imported assets (most preferably in the form of a map backup).

Level 9
This is a known bug, and can happen randomly when saving the map. There is a rumor that it happens more frequently if you click "Test map" without saving the map first.

To fix this you will have to re-import all the assets into your map. To avoid this in the future you can A) save your map as a folder every time you save it or B) always keep a backup of all your imported assets (most preferably in the form of a map backup).
How do I save all my asset's so in the case it happens I can just copy and paste/import all files at once instead of having to reimport all asset's one by one? I've never done that but seems it would save a lot of pain. Yeah I also thought about starting a new thread but instead of a new thread just figured to revive this one since this guy had the same issue.

Level 20
I don't see why anyone would do this. How could you Test any of your changes (much less undo them) if you don't save first?

Level 13
LOL, I don't know how I established the routine of Ctrl+S before testing, but I think it was something with JNPG not integrating the compilation into auto-saves from testing maps. Holy shit, has JNPG inadvertently saved me hours of time. I really feel for you guys that had this issue, but let this have a silver lining: to make FREQUENT backups.

I don't see why anyone would do this. How could you Test any of your changes (much less undo them) if you don't save first?
Well by clicking the "Test Map" button the map is actually saved to \AppData\Local\Temp\WorldEditTestMap.w3x, so the map is technically saved, but both the original map open in the world editor and the new test map in AppData will be bugged.

It's easily verifiable by checking the size of the imports. If they are all 0kb they are all corrupted.

LOL, I don't know how I established the routine of Ctrl+S before testing, but I think it was something with JNPG not integrating the compilation into auto-saves from testing maps. Holy shit, has JNPG inadvertently saved me hours of time. I really feel for you guys that had this issue, but let this have a silver lining: to make FREQUENT backups.
I think that too can be a bit risky. As a rule of thumb I never overwrite previous versions, and always save maps as a new version. Then if the newly saved map is working fine I can delete the older versions.

This is all solved by just saving as a folder instead though.

Level 4
Well by clicking the "Test Map" button the map is actually saved to \AppData\Local\Temp\WorldEditTestMap.w3x, so the map is technically saved, but both the original map open in the world editor and the new test map in AppData will be bugged.

It's easily verifiable by checking the size of the imports. If they are all 0kb they are all corrupted.

I think that too can be a bit risky. As a rule of thumb I never overwrite previous versions, and always save maps as a new version. Then if the newly saved map is working fine I can delete the older versions.

I do this too since i had the issue with the Undefined map when i tried to host a new game when i wanted to play with my friends / brother and find out all the work i did the evening/night before was sort of lost :\

I also still have the issue when i tried importing several new costum models but i tried like 3/4 on a row and all had the "undefined" issue so i cannot relay on the worldeditor and testing the map with F9 i need to host it each time after i import something or added new stuff a bit annoying.

But i saw on tool there was a model tool that can check if a mdx model is alright ? but i don't know if that is still valid / works ?
It might help out a lot to know if a model is correct and usable...

I keep making a backup once in a while and also save in a separate test folder named "test" and keep using that in order to not lose my progress.

It is this tool that i saw:

I don't know if that is still "valid" ?

Last edited:
Level 13

Risky how? What can happen? Also, I think copying the file each time you save would be quicker, doesn't saving as a new map generate shadows and all that jazz? I've noticed saving as a new file takes substantially longer.

Risky how? What can happen? Also, I think copying the file each time you save would be quicker, doesn't saving as a new map generate shadows and all that jazz? I've noticed saving as a new file takes substantially longer.
Well if you hit the save button you will overwrite your current map, which means you're left with no backup in case something goes wrong.

Saving as a new file won't generate shadows. You only generate shadows if you choose "calculate shadows and save as".

I haven't noticed any longer save times by saving the map as a new file, but I haven't tested it a lot. Either way I'd rather spend a couple of extra seconds saving if it means less risk.

Level 13
Oh cool, apparently when you have an unsaved map open, open another map, edit so that its unsaved, and try to exit WorldEdit, it saves some data from the 2nd map onto your first, or corrupts data through some other way. (I just say this because the prompt for "Do you want to save map" for the first map came second, confirmed by the filesize for my testmap becoming bloated) It appears to have corrupted every single texture in my map, and WorldEdit doesnt keep backups anymore like JNPG.
JNPG, less the auto-backup + bugs! It's better than 2020 when testmap feature was just broken, but not by much.

Re-importing 100s of files is not an option, and my last backup was Monday. Yay!

edit: Swapped the following files from my latest build to my latest backup, since that build didn't have corrupted models.
The files to swap: "war3map.w3u / w3t / w3b / w3d / w3a / w3h / w3q"

This is just the object data though, map script would have to be imported to replace code in your broken mapfile. Tbh, its probably a good idea to just replace all of them.

edit: ever since doing this, if I have the map open while I edit on my testmap that got the bloated filesize, the map gets corrupted again. Really fucking annoying.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.