• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] How do get scrolling credits on a campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
I am nearing completion on my campaign (after many years...)

I would like to have an ending script that details what happens to the characters after the game is over. I imagine it as scrolling text (like the beginning of Star Wars, but obviously not in space or tilted).

I have two ideas so far:

1. Just make an image with all the text and use the "fade to" action to fade to it, letting the player read the text.

2. Finding a flat place in the game and creating an image there with the "create image" action. Then putting the camera as a bird's eye view at the top of the image and slowly panning down to the end.

I was just wondering, before I work too hard on these difficult images, if this is the normal way to do it or if there is some other ideas out there? I'd love to be able to play a video in game, but I believe that's impossible, no?

Thanks everyone,

Darwin

Level 16
I did this in my cinematic map, Operation Char. Operation Char

You can do as mentioned above, but just so you know, there is a limit as to how many floating texts you can create at a given time. When you want to make a rolling credits effect, you can run into this limitation and some floating texts simply don't appear. I remember seeing a custom floating text system, but i cant find it for you.

You have 2 options:

1.) Find the system which may allow you to create more floating text OR
2.) Don't use too much floating text at a time (use less than credits in my cinematic). FYI each line within my credits has 3 floating text as shown below.

(Resource) + (--------------) + (Author)

Hopefully this will make sense if you watch the cinematic.

Level 14
I did this in my cinematic map, Operation Char. Operation Char

Sneaky bastard; you got me to watch your whole map. It was great though, so thanks for that!

The credits at the end did look pretty good. I'm hoping to scroll more text, like paragraphs. I'll have to test the limits in a test map to see how bad it is. Thanks for leaving your map unprotected so I could take a look at what you did. And again, nice job.

Level 16
The credits at the end did look pretty good. I'm hoping to scroll more text, like paragraphs.

The limit is more to do with the number of floating texts you use, not so much how big each individual floating text is. If theres only 1 or 2 floating texts popping up at a time that are large, you likely won't run into any problems.

Level 14
The limit is more to do with the number of floating texts you use, not so much how big each individual floating text is. If theres only 1 or 2 floating texts popping up at a time that are large, you likely won't run into any problems.

I've played around a bit. My main problem is that the text appears to autowrap rather quickly; e.g. it looks like this:

And so Arthas returned to his
bedroom and cried like the
silly man that he was. He was
even in defeat, unable to
understand why she laughed
at his exposed feet.

I would prefer it to look like this:

And so Arthas returned to his bedroom and cried like the silly man that he was. He was
even in defeat, unable to understand why she laughed at his exposed feet.

I tried running three concurrent columns of floating text, which works but it takes a lot of tinkering. In other words:

{floating text 1 here} {floating text 2 here} {floating text 3 here}
{floating text 4 here} {floating text 5 here} {floating text 6 here}

Is there any way to get the floating text to not wrap around?

Level 16
If you copy my floating text system, it should save you the time of designing it youself. You'll just need to modify the offsets, so hopefully there's no random spaces. Not sure if you can adjust the width of floating text though. That would be a much better solution.

To offer an alternative, you could try making the size of the text much smaller and zooming in the camera? This could let you fit in more words per line, and the camera can be zoomed to stretch this across the whole screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.