• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

How can a spell be moved from one map to another?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
Let´s say I need the Lockdown spell for Ghosts to work. I find that it works well and looks good in the mod Sc2:BW. Is there any way to "copy" the spell from a map and add it into my map?

If I use Ladki's MPQ tool, I can extract .m3 and .dds files to get models. Is there any way to do the same with a spell?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
You should be able to open the mod in the editor if you have the complet version. If not, you will need to extract the XML database files that the various catalogs use and then manually cut and paste the XML enteries into your data editor using XML view.

If scripting is used to enhance the abilites, you will need to cut out the appropiate pieces from one or more of the Galaxy script fles the mod comes with and paste them into a corosponding cutom script element in the trigger editor (hooking the initializer correctly when appropiate).

Level 22
I always found importing internal map files between maps not a good idea, always smth can happen with future patches and maps. Unlike war3, you can't paste 1 ability, 1 unit, 1 buff/behavior at a time, but while so, you can multi-copy all objects frm the same data type - units only, actors only. Also using a mod just for 1 spell? :/

This would be a much safer way imo if you do on few maps, if all the time on every map - a mod would be the better choice. I dont like external files, prefer compact ones - all in the map

Level 10
I found a map on a site where a person had created a Dark Swarm spell. He wrote in the description:

You can easily add it to your map by copying the dummy unit, the button, the effects, the behavior, the actors, and the abilities.

I can´t find any tutorial for this. I wonder if anyone can point the direction for me, and then I will try to figure out how to do it. Where do I start?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I imagine you do the following in the editor.
1. Open source map/mod.
2. Select data to copy and add it to clipboard (Ctrl+C copy).
3. Open desternation map/mod.
4. Paste from clipboard (Ctrl+V paste) the data you copied from the source.

Obviously you must not close the source map while pasting into the desternation map. You can change current map selection using Window menu.

If all else fails, just copy the XML enteries dirrectly using XML view.

Status
Not open for further replies.