• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

HotF: Battle Arena

Should I drop "Valgar, Tidal Blade" or not?

• Yes

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • More info needed (Please comment)

• No opinion

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Helllo. I have a map currently in my sub-category work that I've been fiddling with and have come to enjoy. I feel like this map could go somewhere however much I find certain aspects er... lacking. Below I'll list all the details I have SO FAR about the map and what is to be accomplished. And if you feel interested in helping in the fields that are needing help, by all means post here or PM me :). Once I have someone to help (or someones), I'll remove the required abilities.

Visualization
112371d1337227757-heroes-fray-heroes_of_the_fray_overview.png

This is what the map looks like now. The terrain has been changed and looks better now, however more detail is needed in decor.

Concept

General

The average game will play out as the following: Every 10 minutes, two players will be sent to the Arena to fight. There can be no less than 2 players, and a maximum of 12 players. The maximum hero level is 20. Each player will be able to see the multiboard that will show every player, their current kill streak, their level and how many points they have (to be explained later). Points replace food and are given by kills. Hero kills will grant 2 points, and creep kills with grant 1. Platinums will replace lumber (to be explained later) 35k gold = 1 platinum. Platinum will be needed at the ultimate shop, of the 5 shops there is only 1 of. Platinum can only be bought at the super shops, of the 5 shops there are only 2.

General Stores Information

Stores will be neutral, non aggressive zones in which heroes will be invulnerable. Shops will be considered areas in which stores are located and broken up into sections. These sections will be Helm, Body, Weapon, Ring, Accessory. Each shop will have a building for buying upgrades. The upgrades are HP, Mana, Strength, Agility, Intellect, and Armor. Stores for the most part will have static items, however some items may appear in shops randomly during the game and there will be two mystery item buttons that will allow players to get a random item from ANY shop, and some exclusive random or rare drop items. The items will be "Random: Low" which will grant a chance various items but not all that the other will and cost 300 gold. and "Random: High" will grant a chance at all items in the game including special items and cost 700 gold.

Our Thoughts on Hero Concepts
For quite awhile now you've probably read about our various hero concepts and seen what the spells are going to do, but odds are you don't know what it's really going to be like. So, we are going to be creating "Hero Highlights" depicting their unique abilities, our recommended play style, and what we think about the heroes. Some thing that hasn't been stressed however is that a friend of mine, Drunken_Jackal, has been helping me with concepts and I cannot thank him enough. Some things we consider in making Hero Concepts however when WE personally sit down and make them are these:

• Has it been done before?
  • Is it original?
  • Is it playable?
  • Can we balance it?
  • Is it fun?
  • Does it fit our style and does it fit in the map?
  • Is the spell kit overwhelmingly complicated, simply, OP, UP, stupid, insanely random?
  • Does it make sense?

All these questions really come into play when we write hero concepts, and when we do items as well. We really think that the concepts of heroes is important and that if the play style isn't original, why would someone want to play it? Well fear not, a lot of our heroes are custom, while some MAY be a little similar to others, we still put our own spin on it.

More on Shops

All shops will be located on islands to the outsides of the Fray. The stores have been predetermined in location. A shop in the southwest will be a super shop; a shop in the northwest will be a basic shop; a shop in the northeast will be the only ultimate shop; the upper south east shop will be the main shop island, but will also be a super shop; and the lower southeastern island will be a basic shop. The main shop island will be a larger island and will offer special services yet to be determined.

AoS Style Map Information

Some things to note about the AoS Style map that is being made as a secondary map to this map, is that heroes will flip their priorities a lot. Item prices will change, some heroes will become less viable choices, some more, and some will be equal. Not only this, but yes I am basing this off of a DotA template, and it will be subject to changes, because I don't want to release "Just Another AoS". Everything on this project is meant to feel customized, and hero builds and play style should feel like you really control the outcome of the game based not just on how good you are at AoS style maps, but how well you know your hero. Players who dabble in both games and hover around the same heroes are really going to see how the maps, and changes we make to balance them, affect the heroes greatly. We know that "copying and pasting" heroes into the maps and not worrying about how they play comparatively is a stupid concept and we won't have any of it!

Mechanics

Resource Replacements

Lumber: Lumber is going to be removed in this map and replaced with platinums. Platinums are purchaseable at Super (tier 2) shops for 5k gold, and when your streak reaches 20, you are given 1 lumber for every kill afterwards, however if you are killed while on a 20+ streak, your lumber is halved.

Food: Food is replaced by points and your maximum food will represent the number of points needed to win the game. You will gain points from kills; heroes will be worth 2 points, creeps will be worth 1 until you are level 3.

Combat Spells
Combat spells are innate abilities that you are able to select from once you pick a hero. You cannot change this during the course of the game. Combat Spells level up twice, to a total of 3 times during the match: once at 10, and again at 19. These abilities are available for everyone to select from, and give more unique play style to the game.

• Ensnare: Binds the target enemy in vines for 2 + seconds, and reducing armor by 5 * (Ability Level *2). Cooldown: 230 seconds
  • Turmoil: Tosses a ball of energy at a point area and knocks all units in a 100 area back 250. Cooldown: 260 seconds
  • Heal: Heals the target for 300*level. Cooldown: 300 seconds
More spells are going to be added later, this is just a taste for now.

Random Fray Events

Eclipse (You can see minimal parts of the map, really just a cool effect to give the map more of a deathly feel for a short period of time).

Poverty (Exp and Gold can no longer be gained).

Bountiful (Exp and gold are gained at twice the standard rate).

Bounty (A random player is now worth 2x gold and 2x point for kill).

Game Modes

We really should have placed this here before, but we haven't until now. Game modes are an important part of this game, as they make every game unique in some ways.
  • All Pick: The standard, everyone picks their hero mode. Not much to say. NOTE: When a hero is picked, he is REMOVED. There are NO DUPLICATES.
  • All Random: All players get a random hero. NOTE: When a hero is randomly picked, he is REMOVED. There are NO DUPLICATES.
  • Rush Mode: All heroes start at level 5 and with 2000 gold, and XP is increased by 2x. This is applied after AP and AR.
  • Turtle Mode: All heroes receive 1/2 XP from hero kills and creep kills. Because our XP is run off a custom system, this system is more probable.
  • Gold Rush: All heroes receive 2x gold for kills. Because of a custom gold system, this is more probable.
  • Domination: This mode is available only if 2 team or 4 team is selected. Four bases will be spawned at static positions on the map and will be pinged every 35 seconds with the faction of the base. Green = allied, red = enemy, white = neutral. For every base that is owned, the players of the owning team will gain 2 points every minute. If a team owns all four bases, they will gain 16 points every minute.
  • Free For All: No teams, everyone fights for themselves, Domination is no longer selectable if this is picked.
  • 2Team: Combines the top two teams (Red, Blue, Teal; Purple, Yellow, Orange) and the two bottom teams (Light Green, Pink, Gray; Light Blue, Green, Brown) and pits them against each other. Allows Domination.
  • 4Team: Uses the standard setup with teams (Red, Blue, Teal; Purple, Yellow, Orange; Light Green, Pink, Gray; Light Blue, Green, Brown).

Streaks

Streaks will be enabled for a player when they kill 3 consecutive heroes (not exactly in a window of time) and will continue to count up as they kill heroes without dying themselves. Streak players will be worth (250x(Streak-2)) more gold.

Ranking System

Ranking System: The current ranking system is as follows: ((Hero Kills/2) + (CreepKills/4)/3) However the implications of this system are not decided right now, I'm not even certain HOW this system could work. But it's just an idea for now.

Point System

The point system will be what determines the winner of each match. The needed points will be decided by the player in Red Slot. If Red Slot is not playing, game will end. Player Force will have Red listed as required. The minimum amount of points needed to win is 150, and the maximum is 2500.

SpawnPoints

Players will spawn at the same, random Basic store at the beginning of the map, however on death they will revive at a random Basic store every time. This is to ensure camping is hindered somewhat and to simply make the system easier to use.

Map Information

Current Team Members

khamarr: Project Leader and Major contributor, Hero Balancing Team (HBT)
Stygian_Shadow: Beta testing, Concept and moderate contributor, HBT.
RoxasHikari: Beta testing, minor contributor, HBT.
Fluffysaur: Major Beta tester, minor contributor, HBT.

Needed Positions
Positions Available

Hero Balancing Testers: 4
Hero Concept Team: 2
System Design Team: 2
Decor Team: 1
Model and Texture: 2

Update #1

Map is updated with various new terrain details, thanks to sonofjay, along with my own personal changes. Anyone who wishes to add any modifications, more tile variation, along with doodads and decor. I'm working on some major system layouts as well as some other minor critiques for things, to be written in a test map so I can easily extract them.

Update #2

Some major map terrain updates are done. A new screenshot is posted along with a linked version of the map as it stands. Also a lot of Pathing Blockers have been removed as they were pointless. Still need someone to help decorate the map as I'm not an "aesthetic" person as far as graphics are concerned. So by all means post your submitted map, I might make a few slight changes or something, but I just need the terrain done so I can move on to more detailed things in the map.

Update #3

Item layouts have been made and will be posted below. Also a Hero Concept thread has been posted on my website and a link has been posted because the thread is too long to include in this one. You can see the concept page here.
List of all Basic Items:
  • Gundrekar Blade (200g) (+5 Atk)
  • Blood Crown (175g) (+8 Int)
  • Thornate Mace ( 180g) (+8 Str)
  • Doomlock Switchblade (195g) (+5 Agi)
  • Felglaven Locket (160g) (+ 75 MP)
  • Madraden Signet (170g) (+100 HP)
  • Daelder Shield (155g) (+5 Arm)
  • Meticulous Gloves (210g) (+10 AS)
  • Boots of the Swift (135g) (+10 MS) (Does not stack)
  • Cloak of Shadow (235g) (+Invis 10 Sec)
  • Elixer of Stone (120g) (+Invul 3 Sec)
  • Binding Gem (140g) (Combine Items)

List of all Basic Hybrids:
  • Gundrekar Bloodblade (+10 Atk, +20 Int) (Gundrekar Blade + Blood Crown + Binding Gem)
  • Thornate Switchblade (+10 Str, +10 Agi, +14 Atk) (Thornate Mace + Doomlock Switchblade + Binding Gem)
  • Felglaven Tower Shield (+125 MP, +15 Arm) (Felglaven Locket + Daelder Shield + Binding Gem)
  • Meticulous Boots of the Swift (+15 AS, + 20 MS) (Meticulous Gloves + Doomlock Switchblade + Binding Gem) (Does not stack)
  • Madraden Slicer (+150 HP, +10 Atk) (Madraden Signet + Gundrekar Blade + Binding Gem)
  • Daelder Bloodcrown (+10 Arm, +20 Int) (Daelder Shield + Blood Crown + Binding Gem)
  • Meticulous Switchblade (+20 Agi, + 15 AS) (Meticulous Gloves + Doomlock Switchblade + Binding Gem)
  • Gundrekar Thornblade (+10 Atk, + 20 Str) (Gundrekar Blade + Thornate Mace + Binding Gem)

All items are subject to change and lists are constantly being added to. Currently we are putting items into the maps.

Update #4

Hello! With this update we're coming out with new hero concepts such as Levas Tromu'uh. Also we are going to be mixing up the terrain a bit, unless we can find a solution to one of our major problems. Another hero that will be added this week will be Omiz'ragul. Also we are now looking for Hero balancing beta testers that we will be needing in a few weeks! Please PM me or comment below if you are interested. Check the table above for slots remaining.

Update #5

It's time again for an update, and this time we are getting concepts far and progress even farther! Levas Tromu'uh is now in spell development, along with Omiz'Ragul (courtesy of Mr_Bean987). Currently there are a total of four other champions being put to full concepts: Azlar, the Beserker's Blade; Cordama, Bane of the Sea; Thouder, Angry Giant; and Bogo, Hellish Trickster. More to be posted on these fellows later on. For now I'm working mainly on Levas as I attempt to fix some issues with Valgar's ultimate. The terrain is also being updated somewhat and I'm also expanding the Basic Shop Items, beginning the Super Shop Items, and creating Creator Hero Tips for recommended builds and how to dismantle an enemy hero. Sorry for the last few updates being "Walls of Text" with very little physical progress, but I am laying things out before I start hacking at the marble and splattering the paint on the canvas. Don't worry! Next update will have basic hero designs and hopefully some bug fixes and item conceptualizations finished for people to critique (if anyone even reads and comments on this.) It seems as there is no interest, but I hope that interest will build as I get more accomplished. Even with it being difficult with the school and state testing these last few weeks and as I progress to the end of my High School year. Well, thank you for enduring me, hope to have more next time!

Update #6
The Hero Index is now up, so check it out here! We have pushed a lot of champions up and now have various champions up as concepts, more are coming this week like the abilities for Azlar, and the new post detailing Crestave, the Electric Archer. More systems development has proceeded and we are getting mechanics done as well. I have come up with a concept to reinvent the stat system. Not only will heroes gain stats such as HP and mana from your attributes, you will also gain HP, mana, strength, agility and intellect specifically scaled for your hero every level. Base Stats are being posted to the Hero Index as well. Some major lore is being released soon as well, detailing what this map is going to be all about. Also I've decided to make this map a double header, meaning that I won't just be releasing this map as a Battle Arena, a second, AoS map will be implemented and released relative to the Battle Arena release. Same champions, same items, different play style! Levas is almost completely out of spell development meaning a total of three heroes will be completed shortly, leaving only 33 to go! So many updates I almost need more developers to help me with this *nudge* *nudge*. Anyways, thanks to anyone that reads this post, I'm really serious about this project and I'm learning quite a bit on the way!

Update #7
More heroes being developed! Levas is nearing total completion and being set up for Hero Testing soon. I hope to get the rest of Omiz'Ragul from Mckill soon. The terrain is updated and I've added a new mechanic to be instated eventually that I am borrowing from League of Legends; the famed "Brush" mechanic. It will allow ganks and map awareness to take larger places in the map. I'm not certain how I'm going to get the system to work properly, but I am currently not concerning myself with it, however it is being built into the terrain (Large amounts of Shrubs). Im going to be looking into this soon. Lots of cool things being done, I hope to get more done soon, I need some help still though. Needed Members has been updated with a new position: The Model and Texture Developer is needed. I am accepting two, but only 1 might be needed. I've found myself looking into Warcraft Native models due to saving space for imports. I hope to get more content released soon, but it's been rough getting everything right, especially since this project is kinda by myself :p. Thanks for checking back though, more to be done today, hopefully get Azlar's skills posted, as well as Phegran. Crestave was added recently to the forums, so I hope to get her icons laid out soon. I'm hoping to get Levas in a Hero Highlight this month, so expect it soon!

Attachments

• Heroes of the Fray Final.w3x
    1.1 MB · Views: 88
  • Heroes_Of_The_Fray_Overview.png
    Heroes_Of_The_Fray_Overview.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 500
Last edited by a moderator:
Level 9
@Assassins-Creed Apologies, I'll re upload and attach it here or somewhere Idk. I'll get a fixed link to it, sorry.

@Zenonoth Creed is correct, the entire purpose of this thread is for suggestions, feedback, due to the closing of the Project Recruitment section and I really need a terrain designer. You wouldn't know why unless you saw the picture... But I am dreadfully bad at terrain, but quite skilled at systems and map layout. I'll be fixing the screenshot now, and probably some more. I'm sure you didn't hear about it so it's alright :p everyone makes mistakes, just gotta help others out when you can is all. That's my philosophy at least.

Level 28
Hello Khamar I'm just bored so I edited your terrain, I just removed that ugly blizz cliff. I did not edited it all because I don't know what the map really is. I don't really care if you will use this or not, I'm just bored so I do it within minutes. Oh I also putted a rock on the map, I was supposed to use that, but because of lack of information I did not really use it. If you will use the rock credit Eubz.

Here is the map

Level 9
The terrain modifications are incredible. Much better than what I created. I'm no terrain designer, I will most definitely give credits for the map, I'll be changing it slightly. I personally like it better without the paths. Thank you very much, This will really help me get more done with this map.

Level 9
Again more updates, some bugs found and being worked on. I have many new concepts being worked on, and I'm very happy to say that many new heroes are going to be joining the Fray. With some work I'll be implementing some of our favorite AoS resource styles instead of just giving you mana. Besides, does a beserker having "mana" make sense? Nope!

Azlar: Going to work off of a special "Rage" system in which attacks build up rage, and techniques deplete it. Rage decays after 5 seconds of not attacking an enemy.

Bogo: Going to work off of a special "Energy" system in which techniques and spells deplete energy, and energy is passively gained back quite rapidly over time. Limited to 100 mana whereas "Rage" is not.

These systems will be very useful in creating a diverse hero environment for players. The unique methods of creating heroes with different classifications and systems allows me to create new play styles, difficulties, and make the bland heroes more vivid. Simply a touch up to make things feel less Wc3 and boring.

Level 9
Bump again for another update. Hoping for feedback :p still going on serious about this project. More champions, more concepts, new system ideas, and some cool new features being added. Also the map will be a "double header", with two map styles being released relative to each other. The search for spell and system developers continues, as well as hero balancing testers. Once we get 8 heroes and 8 testers, we'll begin testing!

Level 9
More updates for some cool ideas I have for the map. Details about our Custom Attribute system added, along with the custom gold and XP systems. Game modes added. More information on the AoS map, and we give you a look into our process of hero concept development.

Level 9
Terrain Updated, lots of removals, will begin decor and detailed fixes after next week (finals next week). New poll being posted to determine whether or not Valgar should be dropped, I feel like his kit is too out there, and I don't very much like the system layout. Feel free to comment and or vote if you have an opinion.

Level 9
Valgar, Tidal Blade is being removed. A new hero is concept is being developed now, whose damage will be on DoT's and the like, probably either a poison or Plague hero, what do you think? Development is currently at a halt as I prepare to move all my files to a new laptop. Sorry for delays, I still need hero testers, I would like to start testing in a week or two. Feel free to leave your comments on the project as far as what you like or don't like. I'm trying to make this a well developed and unique project but I won't know what I'm doing wrong with no feedback :p. This is my first really major project so I want to do it right.

Level 9
860 people have, just no comments :p. I'm really looking forward to seeing the blend of spells. I'm trying unique approaches to things like hero kits and how they can play solo, or team. I'm also considering an AoS type map with these heroes as well, for people who don't want this kind of play style. I can see Omiz as a powerful jungler.

Edit: My computer should be here in around 2 days, development will be starting up once I get it. I'm now updating the Hero Index with more heroes, and I'm also updating Items and creating an Item Index as well.

Last edited:
Level 9
With my new laptop most likely getting here on Monday, I feel that it's time to work more on my concepts. I'll be developing champion concepts that are certain to bring a new play style into existence. As a gamer and a developer, I know how frustrating it is to play a game that isn't really complementary to your style. I'd like to embedd that into this map and let there be such a vast variation that you can choose from, you'll definitely be able to find your style with time. I'll be releasing around 3-5 concepts between now and Monday.

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

Suggestion:
Change the dark blue lettering, I can hardly read it.

Level 9
Troubling news. As it stands right now, I've lost some of the more recent updates on the terrain. There was some file confusion in the transfer and I'm scanning computers and flash drives for them. I am however finalizing development of Levas and possibly beginning production of the first "Hero Highlights" video tomorrow. Also, as soon as I finish doing the rest of the concepts, they will be posted, I apologize for the delay.

Level 9
Exciting news as we approach the beginning phases of the first installment of the "Hero Highlights" videos. Phegran is now in the third (Spell Concepts) phase of development, and Crestave will most likely be posted today! Levas is getting ready for his debut and I want to make it all pretty and working. Soon to come we will be also releasing more items as well as more, non-hero related lore.

Level 9
Due to my website's hosting server being down, I cannot update the hero concepts. I anticipate them to be up tomorrow, however for now I can tell you where our progress stands. Crestave is nearly complete, with lore now being written, and Phegran is progressing well through spell development. Levas is nearing completion as I adjust his spells and appearance for spells. I don't want the eyecandy to be lacking for his spells when I record them. Various new heroes are being placed in concept and lore development, so we will soon be posting those here as well (If I do get them in development soon, I'll edit this post as I doubt any posts will be made soon). Thanks for those who give support to this project, I want to make it fun to play and very well designed.

Edit: Crestave has been added to the site.

Also, we are somewhat encouraging site registration on our site by now allowing registered members to comment on ALL hero concepts as before they were locked. We aren't really advertising, we just wanted people to have more ways to voice there opinion.

Phegran is nearing completion and Crestave is being developed in lore now. Our new champions have been chosen! Gaspar III, Holy Conquistador; and Verdakk, Tyrant Mage. Their abilities are done, however lore and concepts are being placed on the table.

Last edited:
Level 9
More updates, terrain screenshot to be uploaded soon, Levas is still being tricky so I'll be working on that as well. Concepts are moving along and we have a new mechanic added. Will be rearranging the thread to sort it out better, mechanics are getting their own section on my website here as well as here (a teal block of text). Thanks for the support everyone, I hope to get some help soon, this has so far been a solo project, which is why updates are taking longer. But no worries, hope to get more done soon. Be sure to also check out more information in the updates at the bottom of the main post. Thank you!

Level 9
Sorry for the late update everyone! With me joining the League of Legends Competitive Circuit again, things have been hectic. The thread now has a cleaner layout and will be updated more frequently. Concepts on how I am going to get various systems to work are on the table now, with pseudo-code being developed. Various new hero concepts have been created. The method of hero creation concepts has changed. As it stands now, the heroes will be released in phases. Phase 1 will consist of 14 heroes. Phase 2 will be divided into 3 sections. Phase 2-A will consist of 33 heroes, as well as Phase 2-B and Phase 2-C. We have new concepts in Phase 2-A, and Phegran has been placed in Phase 2-A. Phegran has also been changed into a new type of hero, being based on potions. More on his concept later. We are beginning work on other heroes while Levas is being updated and cleaned up. Some minor glitches have occurred but we are working diligently to get him cleaned up. I am also now opening this project up to allow "Hero Concept Submissions". To submit a concept please submit it to my PM box here. DO NOT POST IT ON THE THREAD. The thread is for feedback, suggestions, and requests to help work on the project. Submissions are to be dealt with on a case to case basis and we have every right to reject any and all requests if we deem fit. We reserve the right to change any request in any way so long as we credit the original concept creator. We wish to get more ground in the coming weeks, so expect more updates.

Level 9
Can't edit my post right now so I'll post it here, I am working on using Bribe's Damage engine to recreate the damage system and apply different stats such as spell power and an improved critical strike system and various others. I hope this system helps set this map apart as I want to make a more flexible system. If anyone would like to help on this system specifically, please contact me. This system is going to be a very important system. Thanks to Bribe, a lot of the system is pretty much done. I am considering how this will work, if I need to include this in spells, or if I can make an external library that can be run from spells. This system is going to make a very interesting make and might cause me to have a "spell template" from now on where I need to have a system that determines if armor is applied or if direct damage is to be applied. I hope to use this system to my advantage in every way possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.