• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Hero Arena] Custom Hero Battle Arena!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
Welcome heroes of various backgrounds to the Custom Hero Battle Arena! Get through the waves and earn fame and fortune! Pick your hero and their ability and try to survive through the waves of monsters!

--How Waves Work--
Each wave is divided into 5 rounds. Each round has you battle a certain number of monsters, with varying abilities. Once all the monsters are slain, you will give money for items and potions, wood for abilities, and will level up. At the 5th round of each wave, you will fight a boss. Defeating the boss of the wave will net you 3 times as much gold as a normal wave.

--General Stuff--
Potions : For anyone whose seen my Invasion of the Soul Keeper map, this mechanic may be familiar to you. Each hero has a backpack ability on the middle right-hand side (3,1). This backpack allows you to access your potions and see how many potions you currently hold. If you have at least 1 potion, you will regain 50% of your health, mana, or both depending on which potion you use.

Learning Abilities : One the left-hand side of the shopping center are several building that sell abilities. They are categorized based on what type of ability they are (single target, AoE, no target, passive, and summoning). Depending on what order you learn the ability will determine what the hotkey the ability is (Q for the first ability, W for the second, E for the third, and R for the fourth). While you can only learn four abilities, they are quite useful and can be ranked up to 25.

--Planned Features--
  • More Abilities, Items, Waves, and Heroes (duh)
  • PvP mode (or PvP rounds in between waves)
--Changelog--
+Added Frost Enchantments
+Added a Tier 2 Item Store
+Added a new hero: the Alchemist
*Hero Selection has been converted to Taverns
*Fixed Bug where it was possible to learn 2 versions of Spirit Wolves
*Fountains of Health and Mana have been replaced by The Bard

Map Posted!

Feel free to let me know what you think of the map and what I could do to improve it.

Attachments

• CHBA.w3x
    789.6 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Level 9
I've tested your map, and I realize you're at a very early stage. As you are already in front of my "Custom Hero Enfos" I will stop developing, and I will cooperate with you.
I played and I thinked it very easy, however it is because it is at an early stage. I suggest you use taverns instead of circles and exposed models, to reduce loading time. I found a error on your map.

Some suggestions here for your map:

• When hero start to wave, all enemy units are automatically ordered to attack the hero.
  • Do not let the bash come permanent stun or close of this.
  • Frost Arrow, and other similar abilities to be exclusive to ranged hero.
  • Complex Skills using Triggers.
  • Summoner and Caster can finish the game.
  • Improve synergies with the summon units with the Shout, which increases the damage.
  • Have only one fountain with effect from the current two.

Level 11
I've tested your map, and I realize you're at a very early stage. As you are already in front of my "Custom Hero Enfos" I will stop developing, and I will cooperate with you.
I played and I thinked it very easy, however it is because it is at an early stage. I suggest you use taverns instead of circles and exposed models, to reduce loading time. I found a error on your map.

Neat. Also FUCK! How does stuff like that keep slipping through? Whatever, I fixed it. It should be ready for the next version. I may have to look over my triggers to make sure this doesn't happen with the other abilities.

Some suggestions here for your map:
  • When hero start to wave, all enemy units are automatically ordered to attack the hero.
  • Do not let the bash come permanent stun or close of this.
  • Frost Arrow, and other similar abilities to be exclusive to ranged hero.
  • Complex Skills using Triggers.
  • Summoner and Caster can finish the game.
  • Improve synergies with the summon units with the Shout, which increases the damage.
  • Have only one fountain with effect from the current two.

• Not a bad idea for single-player, don't know if that's possible for multiplayer, since everyone starts in the same arena
  • Are you pointing out a bug? Melee Bash should be 5 seconds while Ranged Bash is 3.
  • Noted
  • And...? There's already 4 trigger-dependent spells in the map
  • I'm guessing with the Summons + Shout combo? Speaking of...
  • If what your saying is true, then what's the point?
  • I was thinking of something like that. Maybe do something like in the other map where The Bard is both a fount of health and a fount of mana.

Level 9
  1. Makes an anti-idle system for mutiplayers and to prevent creeps from being idle because of events (such as was stun, used spells).
  2. I'm not referring to the error. I am referring to that when the hero has interval of attack and a time of stunning of bash, can let the enemy permanent stunned depend. Because before it finishes the stunning, he already takes another.

3. What most maps I think, the critical strike, the bash and evasion becomes very powerful in the late game. Already the summon are outdated, and map editors have to choose the values good not to be so or very powerful. I suggest summons gain +% damage when that ability. Because heroes have other factors to aggregate in addition to damage, as more attribute of attribute main comes from items and levels.
  4. You will have to choose good values to casters and summoners, with combinations of items and abilities.

Last edited:
Level 13
Hello. I gave your project a try. Here are my thoughts (taking into account your future plans):

• If you're making this from scratch, why not evolve out of the whole "Buy a spell and buy it again to level it up" limitation? Using Engineering Upgrade you can add Q W E R abilities to heroes and have them upgradable via skill points.
  • I ran into the Feral Spirit bug (occupied Q and R slot, couldn't skill up) but from looking at things that issue has already been sussed out.
  • The intro role-play is quick and nice.
  • The potion system is clunky. To you use a potion you have to open a menu on your hero and the hero has to CAST a potion. On a hero based survival map, having consumables instantly accessible is important. Your potions already restore a % of HP and MP which eliminates the need to have multiple tiers of potions, why not just have them as items?
  • Creeps not automatically acquiring you seems to invalidate any difficulty; you can pull and kill enemies as you please.
  • Fountain Regeneration is very slow, no one wants to AFK at a fountain for 20-30 seconds.
  • I only did a few waves but creeps had no interesting mechanics besides having different stats.

Overall it looks promising, keep up the work!

Status
Not open for further replies.