• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Onslaught Arena Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Onslaught Arena Beta

Premise: This map was originally inspired as an antithesis for Orc Gladiators. I desired to make a gladiator creep arena, where gladiators must face off against waves of monsters. I, of course, wanted to greatly improve this feature, as the game just ended up being slightly original heroes against non-descript waves (ranged wave! Wave with poison attack! Wave with an autocast ability!). Currently, it is meant for 4 people as a truly cooperative experience.

Gameplay:
  • Cooperative aspects: Gold is awarded evenly each round, not by kills. This allows more diversity in classes since everyone will not have incentive to play purely damage classes. Each class fills one of four roles (healing, tanking, damage, and crowd control), and balance of these roles is essential to victory.

Gladiators:
  • 8 classes to choose from (4 more will be added by 1.0 version)
  • 5 abilities per class (1 innate, 3 normal, 1 ultimate)
  • Spells are crafted with the intention of originality and fresh appeal. Very few mimic standard WC3 abilities.
  • Class abilities have synergy respective to the role the class fills. Heroes have strong tendencies towards their role, but will have variance in abilities to prevent boredom.
  • Example Hero: War Caller
    Class Role(s): Tank, Damage Dealer
    Primary Attribute: Strength
    Abilities:
    Bounding Leap: War Caller leaps a great distance to engage enemies or help allies. Damages nearby enemies, and slows their move and attack speed for a short amount of time.
    Battlecry of Bloodthirst: Calling his enemies to the fervor of battle, War Caller causes all nearby enemy units to attack those near them, friend or foe.
    Banner: Using his fallen enemies to inspire allies, War Caller will set up a totem made from his enemies' bones. This totem increases allies melee damage and heals them over time
    Call of War (Ultimate): War Caller throws himself into an unstoppable rage. While in this rage, each strike against him will increase his strength, making him more resilient to his enemy's attacks.

Waves:
  • 10 waves currently
  • Fewer and stronger units per wave. Allows for more dynamic gameplay that is more than hordes of enemies with one passive ability.
  • Dynamic waves. Up to 3 different types of units per wave, allowing for true variance in the enemies players will face
  • Each wave typically has one general with active abilities.
  • Boss waves consist of single unit with two to four skills that are synergistic for scripted fights.

Boss fights:
  • example boss: Goblin Technician
  • abilities: Lightning Overload, Missile Barrage
  • Boss Strategy: Lightning overload is a self cast lightning shield, while missile barrage works just like the WC3 ability. The Goblin Technician will use lightning overload to deal with melee opponents, while his missile barrage will only attack mid and short range Gladiators. The purpose is to make the players have to constantly change their distance.

Items:
  • Items are not central to gameplay like most RPG style games. Focus remains on heroes and their abilities.
  • Stock items currently in store: Armor, Caster Weapons, Fighter Weapons, Restorative Potions, and Rings.
  • Item exclusion that only allows one suit of armor, one weapon, one shield etc. to keep items balanced and force players to make tradeoffs in item selection.

Aesthetics:
  • Efforts are made to avoid dull and "standard" effects. Very few spells have original effects and several are Trigger enhanced to give them a fresh look.

Future Features:

Players:
  • Once I implement the appropriate systems, up to 8 people will be able to play. I am currently working to make it so that playing with 4 versus 8 players will make the xp and wave hit points scale for a similar gameplay experience regardless of number of players.

Gladiators:
  • 4 heroes to be added (totaling 12). Each will have 5 unique abilities that work towards a common theme. All have been devised on paper.
  • Talent Trees: much like Diablo 2 or World of Warcraft, the gladiators will have access to talent trees once they reach a certain level (to be determined). Each gladiator will have 3 single path trees that will enhance current abilities while giving them new utility. Using my example hero the War Caller as an example, a talent could make his bounding leap stun units instead of just slowing them. One talent could also make his banner weaken enemy melee damage, or give him a passive chance to cast a roar on attack.
  • Super Ultimate: At the final level, the gladiators will recieve a super-ultimate ability. At this point I do not have any ideas written, but I hope to make them great.

Waves:
  • 25 waves total, with the aforementioned qualities.

Items:
  • More items will be added. Plus, these items will most likely be class-specific.

------------------------------------------------

Known issues:
  • Occasionally the game will pause at start up for a few seconds. I do not know the cause at the moment, but am working on it.
  • The game is meant for 4 players. It is possible but difficult with 3, so gather some friends to play with.
  • Gameplay Balance: I apologize if certain abilities/items are underpowered or overpowered. I'm still very early in balancing classes, waves, and items.
  • Terrain: It sucks. I know.
If you take the time to play, please keep these in mind:
  • Be constructive: As usual, please give constructive criticism, no malicious or purely negative comments.
  • If it crashes, try to remember when it happened and under what circumstances, so I know where to look.
  • Please make your comments specific: If you don't like it, please tell me why. Was it a boring class? Bad itemization? Lack of enemy variance? I ask you to help me make a fun game.

Other than that, Enjoy!
EDIT: Apologies for negligence Mini-Me

Attachments

• Onslaught Arena 0.1b.w3x
    1.8 MB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Level 8
Ok tested the map it was fun i give it a 7 outa 10 what you need to do is add more custom heros and increase the limit of how many people can play to atleast 6 im thinking. Also add recipes and more items etc.. good map good job.

Status
Not open for further replies.