• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Hive's Member Populace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
i agree hive wont die :/ wont happend

Denial.

hive will never die if people will continue to support this awesome site...

If by people you mean ralle, then hive may never die. He can kill it at will, and his successor(s) will have that power as well. If Hive only has 15 or so active members it will be effectively dead.

//\\oo//\\

Level 5
Why don't we just ask the administrator of the site to give us the Hive's traffic statistics? I'm pretty sure you can grab information from the site somewhere. If we had that, there would be no doubt about anything.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Why don't we just ask the administrator of the site to give us the Hive's traffic statistics? I'm pretty sure you can grab information from the site somewhere. If we had that, there would be no doubt about anything.
Good thought. I've been looking at a User Statistics bar chart which shows (I think, I'm not sure) daily active users. It's interesting.
Our peak of activity in the last two years was in July 28 of 2009, we had 2188 active users. It seems that our activity grows exponentially during June, and drops dramatically by the end of August. For example, we had 2013 active users on the 16th of August of 2010. The average of August is over 1900, until we face a drastic drop on August 24, 1524 active members (from 1828 the day before).
The next day, August 25 of 2010, the chart registers the moment of less activity in the last 2 years, 1272 active users. From thereon, the chart registers around 1500 active users each day, sometimes more, sometimes less, usually less than 1500.
Comparing a few homologous periods, on April of 2009 we have an average of 1700 active users (not calculated on paper or calculator, mind you, I'm just looking and estimating). On April of 2010, perhaps 1800 or more. On April of this year, 2011, an average of 1600, maybe less.

This tendency is maintained throughout other months. We have an average of 1500 active users while we had well over 1700 in 2010, so you were right, activity has indeed decreased. Also explains why people were complaining about 500 server errors during June last year (see "New Server") and Ralle had to upgrade two months after ("Server Maintenance"), which I already mentioned (I just didn't look at the date).

Level 5
Excuse me, but how is "active user" defined? It's a pretty big significance if an active user is considered someone who logs in every day or posts something reasonable in the forums everyday (which also means they are logged in).

Rui

Rui

Level 41
That is actually a good question. The bottom bar says we have over 5 thousand active users, meaning either the charts showed me active users on a daily basis and the bottom bar displays them on a weekly or monthly basis, or the user activity does not show active users, maybe just users who log in at least once (are these active users?).
Your question is very pertinent, but the only thread on vBulletin I found regarding it was this one. I'm going to have to look into Admin CP later.

I'm going to keep looking into that. Meanwhile, here are the tables for the number of new posts on a monthly scope.

January32.342

February

March

April

May

June

July

August

September

October

November

December
January46.859

February

March

April

May

June

July

August

September

October

November

December
January45.249

February

March

April

May

June
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--

This data also seems to corroborate the theory that our activity has decreased.

Level 14
For those of you who understand better visually, here's a quick graph I made in Excell.

HiveActivity.jpg

Simple fact is that, yes, activity is declining. But the question that has to be posed to the community, the administrative group included, is whether or not this steady downhill trend is a problem worth fixing. Also whether or not the community has the patience, or even the resources to fix it.

Now, I'm sure there is a group of people who say "No" that the Hive has had its time, and should be perfectly ok handing the spotlight of the modding scene over to a new site such as Starcraft II mapster. Me personally, I believe that the Hive should strive to update its image, making efforts to re-unify that heart of community that once beat strong at the center of the Hive.

If the Hive wants to remain a major player on the modding scene, it needs to make moves to innovate itself, relatively quickly, while Starcraft II has only been out for a year, while modding has only just begun, and while there are still plenty of frontiers to explore.

~Asomath

Reactions: Rui
Level 16
That is actually a good question. The bottom bar says we have over 5 thousand active users, meaning either the charts showed me active users on a daily basis and the bottom bar displays them on a weekly or monthly basis, or the user activity does not show active users, maybe just users who log in at least once (are these active users?).
Your question is very pertinent, but the only thread on vBulletin I found regarding it was this one. I'm going to have to look into Admin CP later.

I'm going to keep looking into that. Meanwhile, here are the tables for the number of new posts on a monthly scope.

January32.342

February

March

April

May

June

July

August

September

October

November

December
January46.859

February

March

April

May

June

July

August

September

October

November

December
January45.249

February

March

April

May

June
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--
--

This data also seems to corroborate the theory that our activity has decreased.

Hmm a think might be that people gets more or less online due to holidays? school exams and so on.., i dont believe that its such a big issue when we are around the big numbers.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
For those of you who understand better visually, here's a quick graph I made in Excell.

HiveActivity.jpg

(...)

If the Hive wants to remain a major player on the modding scene, it needs to make moves to innovate itself, relatively quickly, while Starcraft II has only been out for a year, while modding has only just begun, and while there are still plenty of frontiers to explore.

~Asomath
Thanks for the graphic, I couldn't bother making it myself.
The problem is we're not sure how to make that innovative move. Blizzard has not made things particularly easy for us; for one, they did not release their art tools yet, and on another hand, to my knowledge, they have not published any official information regarding how mods work. There are a few here who believe the website will be more active once their art tools come out. I'm hoping so too, but unfortunately, we'll have to wait.
I'm taking in suggestions, though, so, if you have one, let us know.

Hmm a think might be that people gets more or less online due to holidays? school exams and so on.., i dont believe that its such a big issue when we are around the big numbers.
Yes, this is most likely why the website's activity seems to grow during the Summer and then drop, but if you compare homologous periods of time, you'll notice that all months of 2011 except January present lower numbers, June being the most worrying (thus far). 67 thousand in 2009, 45 thousand in 2009, down to only 36 thousand in 2011.

Level 16
it might be a bad year? we really cant match all users up, because they are alot of reason, also different kind of groups:

Grown ups: 16+ ( need to study, and work )
Kids: Theyre parents decide, and due to the big economy issue that many have faced, its not sure that people all over earth still have money to buy games and play computer, many some people have to work :/

important thread that everyone should read.

Definitely not important, and definitely not a "must read".

Visit the WarIII modding sections more often to clean your
mind of this rubbish. Activity there is flowing faster than it can
be moderated.

Also, compare the activity to other WarIII sites. We are the best.

Level 14
Visit the WarIII modding sections more often to clean your
mind of this rubbish. Activity there is flowing faster than it can
be moderated.

Also, compare the activity to other WarIII sites. We are the best.

It's no question that we remain, as we have been, the number one Warcraft III site. Holding that spot is why just a couple of years ago, when Warcraft was the most recent Blizzard RTS, our activity was so high compared to what it is now.

However, now, with more people making the switch to explore the abilities of the Galaxy Editor, a portion of the Hive community has moved to a better location for their exploration.

We've really got to make the moves to innovate the Hive to accomodate the new generation of map editing. However as Rui says:
The problem is we're not sure how to make that innovative move. Blizzard has not made things particularly easy for us; for one, they did not release their art tools yet, and on another hand, to my knowledge, they have not published any official information regarding how mods work. There are a few here who believe the website will be more active once their art tools come out. I'm hoping so too, but unfortunately, we'll have to wait.

I'm taking in suggestions, though, so, if you have one, let us know.

Perhaps the last line warrants its own thread, as the original purpose of this thread has been filled?

~Asomath

SC2 came out about 3 or 4 years too late for me. Those were the days
when I was into heavy gaming and didn't care how much money I spent.

SC2 just doesn't have the same "it" factor for me that warcraft has. I
only played StarCraft based on recommendations of friends, but warcraft
was always a natural allure for me.

I bought WarCraft II around the time Battle.net came out, bought WC3
a month after RoC came out, then when WoW came out I thought it was
an April fools joke (lanky characters with cartoonish postures).

The only thing that might make me stop WC3 would be WC4. And since
I never cared about DotA LoL and HoN will not stop me either.

That's my rant for the day.

Level 22
SC2 came out about 3 or 4 years too late for me. Those were the days
when I was into heavy gaming and didn't care how much money I spent.

SC2 just doesn't have the same "it" factor for me that warcraft has. I
only played StarCraft based on recommendations of friends, but warcraft
was always a natural allure for me.

I bought WarCraft II around the time Battle.net came out, bought WC3
a month after RoC came out, then when WoW came out I thought it was
an April fools joke (lanky characters with cartoonish postures).

The only thing that might make me stop WC3 would be WC4. And since
I never cared about DotA LoL and HoN will not stop me either.

That's my rant for the day.

I agree. Not worth paying the money to upgrade the computer, and it's not worth paying the money for every campaign. There's still a lot to be done with WC3.

Level 22
SC2 will not be as successful as WC3, that's a fact!...

It already is - see how many players from war3 and scbw moved to it (especially war3 players), unless you have a bad PC, people who have been with an old game like to move on after 7 years. In most cases people stay at old games because they can't afford newer PC. But you are only talking about the modding part which is also wrong as it is already progressing fast. There may be no sc2 life here but look at other sites.

Level 29
It already is - see how many players from war3 and scbw moved to it (especially war3 players), unless you have a bad PC, people who have been with an old game like to move on after 7 years. In most cases people stay at old games because they can't afford newer PC. But you are only talking about the modding part which is also wrong as it is already progressing fast. There may be no sc2 life here but look at other sites.

mehhh, my PC is fast enough to run SC2, I even bought the game but never installed it, idk why...my reason for staying WC3 is that I enjoy coding a lot...

Level 5
mehhh, my PC is fast enough to run SC2, I even bought the game but never installed it, idk why...my reason for staying WC3 is that I enjoy coding a lot...
Same here. I remember Vexorian getting annoyed at the fact that Starcraft 2's programming language is not has lenient as Warcraft 3's. They did it on purpose-- probably mostly to avoid the potentially abusive bugs that generating user-made code can cause, but still... I can't honestly say that SC2's world editor is any better or worse, but from other people have told me it took a couple steps forward and a lot of steps backward.

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

I also bought Sc2, yeah it was fun for a few hours and yeah I was tempted to try out the galaxy editor. When I tested out the GE it was way over developed, I couldn't even do the simplest of things such as making a new unit.
OFC some of the things included in the new editor would be awesome to have for WC3, but all-in-all the editor is just way to complex for me...

Anyways thats my two cents...

Level 16
I also bought Sc2, yeah it was fun for a few hours and yeah I was tempted to try out the galaxy editor. When I tested out the GE it was way over developed, I couldn't even do the simplest of things such as making a new unit.
OFC some of the things included in the new editor would be awesome to have for WC3, but all-in-all the editor is just way to complex for me...

I agree, i tryed the editor some different places, and i couldnt even do anything.. maybe if i took the time..

I agree, i tryed the editor some different places, and i couldnt even do anything.. maybe if i took the time..
You need time to understand stuff. And as a matter of fact, in Wc3 you never created a new unit. You only based it off other units.

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

You need time to understand stuff. And as a matter of fact, in Wc3 you never created a new unit. You only based it off other units.

No, you only base the basic form of your new unit off of a previous unit. I've created a new unit because I've changed or edited every single field on the list of things you can edit for a unit, therefore it is a new unit.

Level 22
I recently started playing SC2 and... Well as Yayoi said here are my two cents...

Galaxy Editor is very cumbersome working with it is a pain in the ass. The level of complexity can be so good in so many ways, yet so painfully bad in so many other ways. The final product of GE is much better, but it's much harder to achieve a final product.

The gameplay seems to be a little stale, I don't get that feel I did from SC1... The campaign is nice and has a deepness to it, but I don't get much enjoyment from playing it, just finding the next link in the story. And the graphics are definitely good, but strain my computer pretty heavily... I do get a bit of enjoyment from SC2's gameplay but not as much as from SC1 and WC3.

Expect to see my new project coming soon... "SC2 - Death Corps" :D

Level 7
Members: 50,798, Active Members: 8,696

Those active members are what's important. The subtraction of the Active members from the actual whole number of Members is how much joined, but are not using the Hive anymore. In total, there's 42,102 users out there "dead". About 4.8415 times more "dead" people than active ones. But that is no wonder, since this site has stood for 7 years or so (since 2004). Many come, and many go. Many join, many leave.

No, you only base the basic form of your new unit off of a previous unit. I've created a new unit because I've changed or edited every single field on the list of things you can edit for a unit, therefore it is a new unit.
You are still copying it. You are not making stuff from the beginning, merely modifying a copy of an existing unity.

Status
Not open for further replies.