• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hive Workshop Times

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 24
hiveworkshoptimes.png

Welcome to the first edition of The Hive Workshop Times. This is a monthly update which I (Bob27) will be doing from now on forward. The purpose of the THW Times is to showcase different aspects of the site which the administration feel that the users of the site would be either interested in or benefit from reading.

If you feel something is missing in this or you have any suggestions for an article in next months edition then feel free to contact me at any given time.

Enjoy.

Cinematic Mini-Contest #2
The second Cinematic Mini-Contest has been launched. This time the theme is horror, a theme which is sure to bring in some interesting and blood packed submissions, so get your dead on and go zombify The Hive.

If you are interested in joining the competition or just feel like showing your support, then you can look up the thread here.

The contest runs untill january the 30th and has a 2 minute time limit to the entries as opposed to last competitions 1 minute, a much welcomed extension. The winner will receive 20 reputation points and a special award icon to brag about.

Good luck to all contestants.
Written By ragingspeedhorn

Special Effects Contest #1
The Hiveworkshops first Special Effect competition is nearing its end, so if you are a man of SFX then this is soon the last chance for you to get in on the action as it will conclude on january the 31st.

The theme is Winter Wonderland and so far the entries has been just that, a wonderland of creative entries. A wide variety of Hive's talented SFX creators, new as old, has competed in this and the results so far has been good which greatly increases the chances of a seconds SFX contest to be hosted.

If you are interested in joining the competition or just feel like showing your support, then you can look up the thread here.

The winner will receive 40 reputation points and a special award icon to brag about.

Paired Mapping Contest #2 Poll
A poll has been opened for the 2nd paired mapping contest. For this contest the contestants had to create a party map, in pairs. There are some interesting ideas in these entries, from a hive vs wc3campaigns map to a map where you have to try and kill Uther so that Grom Hellscream can use some of Uther's dialouge. Bellow is a list of the four entires that were submitted to the contest.

Entires
Hell Scream's Party - By Taur & ragingspeedhorn
When Servers Collide - Deskalada & Pyritie
Trials Of Kalimdor - Maelstrom_ & The_Twinz
Mini-Games - Spammy & Joelimphi
You can vote for any of the four entries Here, but please read the post before voting!
Written By Bob27

Texturing Contest #6
The sixth battle of the texture creators was started january the 11th and came off at a great start having a wide variety of talented skinners entering showing off impresive works right from the start.

The theme is Northrend/Icecrown, a broad theme allowing for a great variety in what sorts of skins are entered. It will surely be enteresting to see what sorts of creative textures that the artists can come up with.

The contest runs untill february the 12th so there is still plenty of time to enter the fun if you have missed the creation of this contest.

The winner will receive 40 reputation points and a special award icon to brag about.

Interesting Topics
Here I will list several of the topics that have been attracting attention here on the hive, or that people would be interested in.

First of all, one of the best terrainers here at the hive workshop, MadseN, has released a cinematic called Warcraft III - An Art of Terraining, which is a showcase of all his terrains. You can view the cinematic Here, on YouTube, and comment on the cinematic Here.

The 2nd thread has been around for a while now, but has been very popular. It is a thread in the Starcraft II forum, talking about the Starcraft II Editor. The thread can be found Here.

An old time user, GreyArchon, has returned to the site. Along side his return is a creative idea for a map. It is called The End of Battle.net. Here is a description of the map:

GreyArchon said:
A map that requires up to 6 players to survive numerous events. The event is either a boss battle a la WoW, or a situation wherein the players find themselves in the middle of a miniature version of an existing, popular battle.net map.

Grey Archon has taken a turn for the villainous and is planning to destroy Battle.net once and for all. He is convinced that battle.net is a cesspool of stupidity, and has decided it is in the best interest for the future generations of gamers to end it. Draining power from the Battle.net servers through a vile piece of coding embedded within this map, he is planning a complete meltdown of the entire system. 6 heroes rise from the furthest regions of battle.net to stop him. But how do you fight the creator of the map you're currently in?

You can find the thread Here.
Written By Bob27

Hosted Projects
The Hive Workshop's newest hosted project, Apocalypse, is a new map being created by Craka_J. Here is a description of the project:

Craka_J said:
A dangerous plague has been unleashed upon the Earth and has destroyed everything in its path. This plague from Hell has directly targeted a small city and strives to turn it to rubble. With life itself and the Human Race with it at the brink of extinction, a group of marines from the future have been dispatched to enter the city in this time of havok to fend off the forces of evil before they reign over the planet with pure cruelty and torture. Their motives are unclear to you and the world, but your motives are to kill for your own survival... and to save the planet and the Human Race from complete extinction.

You can check out the forum Here.

One of our hosted projects, Against The Darkness, has just had a new version of it released. Against the Darkness 2.5 can be downloaded Here.

1)ark_NiTe said:
Against the Darkness 2.5 has been released after over a month of hard work. The update contains 6 new Hero abilities, a new Death Hunter hero, a brand new item interface/classification system, major creep and Hero balancing, and many other small bug fixes! Trust me, you will not want to miss out on this version. Download it by clicking here: Download Against the Darkness Version 2.5.

The first none-beta version of Pyritie's Adventure is nearing completion and should be ready to release within the next week. This release will be a major step forward from what content and what quality of content that is in the earlier beta versions of this excellent campaign project led by Pyritie.

So if you enjoy a good campaign then keep your ears open for this release. You can follow the development of the project at the forum.
Written By Bob27 & raginspeedhorn

Insider News
This is where I will be discussing things that the admins are currently working on, and planning to create for the users of THW.

I am at the moment, creating something for our Cinematics forum, called The Cinema. What the cinema will be is a huge collection of many of the famous cinematics in Warcraft III, captured and converted into video format, and then people will be able to view the cinematics without downloading them, and can simply just stream the videos.

Stay tunned for it, it should be coming out sometime in the near future.
Written By Bob27

Mod Recruitment: WoW Section
The HiveWorkshop administration team is looking for people specialized in Blizzard Entertainment's massive multiplayer online role-playing game, World of Warcraft (WoW).
This means that the people we’re looking for must have a knowledge about the game which is considered to be above average. These people will help us (the staff) maintain the site’s conduct rules specifically in the World of Warcraft section. Their knowledge about the game will be able to help others: by answering questions, make the section more fun & interesting for other users etc. (more detailed infomation regarding this issue will be givin to users who qualify themselves for the "job")

Required Qualifications
  • Moderator experience in a forum web community
  • High experience with WoW game play, updates, professions, player versus player combat (PvP), quests, raids & instance dungeons, guilds & classes
  • Strong knowledge of the WoW lore
  • Ability to work well in a team environment :razz:
  • A passion for playing WoW
Pluses
  • Year(s) experience with WoW
  • Highest level character(s)
  • Extraordinary knowledge of WoW
Do you think you have what it takes to fill these new staff positions? Then feel free to submit a thread in the Admin Contact forum.
"Documentation" is required (we want to see evidence in proof of your application).

Oh, and if you think our current WoW section is intended to be in it's current state forever: Well, think again:

previewih1.gif
Written By Archian

New Models Database
The Hive Workshop recently got a new models database, which you can find Here. It features a greatly improved search system, and is a huge improvement over the old one. Here are some of the new features that the new models section has got:

Ralle said:
- Mini moderators - people can be assigned to vote yes or no for a model to be approved
- Automatic import guide - a guide to tell you how to import the model you are looking at
- Categories and types - categories are like themes, star wars, simpsons.. etc. Types are for what kind of model it is, unit, hero, building etc.
- Comments and resources as forum posts. This allows users to rep resource submitters and commenters. Also report and edit post with the nice text editor vBulletin has.
- Moderation has never had more options than this. Moderators can delete ratings, see a changelog of the resource and do everything they want.
- Icon listing - You can list resources as icons
- Items / page - you can decide how many resources you want to display per page from 20-200
- Better Searching - The search system has been improved. An algoryth that separates words by capital letters has been installed which means that DeamonHunter will be able to be found by searching for Hunter or Deamon. This makes it much easier to find various things.
Written By Bob27

Level 8
I'd agree with Killface. WC3 Campaigns had a nice one a while back (pity they haven't come out with any issues past the second), called The Frozen Tribunal

Come on, guys, let's think of a name for this (If Bob agrees)!

EDIT: On the other hand though, the Frozen Tribunal musta taken a while to make >.< It was worth reading though.

Level 6
Yea ok if you guys can come up with a better name for it, then we'll use it.

I don't know if these what be considered better,but here's some ones I thought of:
The Hive Inquisitor
The Workshop Observer
The Hive Enquirer
The Daily Hive (or Workshop)
The Hive Gazette
The Hive Herald
The Hive Standard

Maybe you could select a few from people's suggestions, and make a poll on it.

Level 17
You should have a Tabloid or user comment section, where people can post things like in a real newspaper (Like a thread where they put the message in and you decide which ones get put in)

Cool anyway, GJ... although its a bit plane, you need some good stories, you know, get the dirt on people. >:D

1) GreyArchon returned to the site -> as far as I remember he was a wc3sear.ch user, not hiveworkshop, and he retired before wc3sear.ch fall, so he JOINED the hive community

I consider Wc3sear.ch users the same as Hive users.

Pretty good, though it's nothing we haven't already heard before...

The news is basically just rehashes of previous news posts on the front page...

This is meant as a summerizer of what is going on currently at THW, not some grand newspaper for you to read about the latest news from the white house.

I'd agree with Killface. WC3 Campaigns had a nice one a while back (pity they haven't come out with any issues past the second), called The Frozen Tribunal

Come on, guys, let's think of a name for this (If Bob agrees)!

EDIT: On the other hand though, the Frozen Tribunal musta taken a while to make >.< It was worth reading though.

This is not the same as the frozen tribunal, it is not meant to be. It is something to summerize what is going on of interesting things at THW currently. If you don't like it, don't read it. Go read the year old issues of the frozen tribunal and moan over its decay.

If you can come up with a better name then please do. If you can't then I suggest you to keep quiet.

But, it's so pointless.... the only reason someone would need a summary of recent news is if they've been inactive recently, and then they'd probablyt be more likely to scroll back through the news rather than look through the forums for this thing?

Most active users does not use the forums, but they do read the frontpage. Everything in this world isn't made to fit you or DesKaladA's needs. "Send by pm cus no wunt through mail", "is poinless cus i alr8dy know!!!!".

Level 35
Hmmz..to follow Killface's idea.

The Daily Inquisitor.
The Daily Inquisition. (no body would expect the daily inquisition)

The Buzz (hive...get it)
The Swarm.
The Daily Sting.
The Barrel Roll.

The Articles of Ralle.

The HIVizzle.

The Daily Moo, The Daily Tauren, (ralle's chat head)

The Daily Vertex, The Vertex, The Geoset, ect model names.

these are probably not good...but I will see if I can find more EPIC names for it.

Level 36
Most active users does not use the forums, but they do read the frontpage. Everything in this world isn't made to fit you or DesKaladA's needs. "Send by pm cus no wunt through mail", "is poinless cus i alr8dy know!!!!".

Er, but what exactly are you saying? I don't want anything to fit my needs, i'm just saying that this newsletter has very little purpose because all of the information included within it can be found on the front page, and people are far more likely to come across the front page than the newsletter.

I like the work, it's good stuff, but i'm just saying.

Level 8
This is not the same as the frozen tribunal, it is not meant to be. It is something to summerize what is going on of interesting things at THW currently. If you don't like it, don't read it. Go read the year old issues of the frozen tribunal and moan over its decay.

If you can come up with a better name then please do. If you can't then I suggest you to keep quiet.

I was hoping to provide support to Killface's suggestion of a new name, and using "The Frozen Tribunal" 's name as an example of a good name that has been done in the past. During such a post I don't believe I was actually required to make a name, so long as I voiced in favour of its creation. Calm down a little bit. We're just putting in our two cents.

On another note, I think "The Buzz" is a great name. Perhaps not the best of puns, but its definitely a noteworthy name!

Er, but what exactly are you saying? I don't want anything to fit my needs, i'm just saying that this newsletter has very little purpose because all of the information included within it can be found on the front page, and people are far more likely to come across the front page than the newsletter.

I like the work, it's good stuff, but i'm just saying.

2 things could be found on the frontpage, that's it. That isn't all of the information, unless you are a moron who can't count any higher than 2 and therefor take that as being "all".

Status
Not open for further replies.