• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

High-Res Battlecruiser

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Actually cloudwolf, now that you say it, i could just finish the UV template and send it to you! It would save me lots of time.
Although i would have some demands for it, i know you are an excellent skinner, but it would have to be very accurate with coulor palette taken from the reference image (and saturated in afterhand).
But if you want i can just send you what i have. :)

Level 30
Actually cloudwolf, now that you say it, i could just finish the UV template and send it to you! It would save me lots of time.
Although i would have some demands for it, i know you are an excellent skinner, but it would have to be very accurate with coulor palette taken from the reference image (and saturated in afterhand).
But if you want i can just send you what i have. :)

Sounds awesome to me! :) If you can send me the UV template I'll see what I can do! :p I'll pay close attention to the SC2 battlecruiser and attempt to make something similar :)

As its hi-res, I could work at 512x512px so we can get some more definition :p

I agree. ;)
A joint project between me, (uhrm) recent skin moderator Couudwolf (fuck yeah!) and master of super SFX Willthealmighty (fuck yeah)!

One little thing though, as for the moment, the model is pretty flat on it's underside.
It will have some detail on the lower back, but otherwise, the hammerhead part for example, will not have any special detail beneath it.
Is this something you want me to fix (it will not be visible from an RTS-perspective) or should i skip it and save the polygons?

Nothing, i'm sorry. I've gotten sick recently, and well.. i have no excuses you haven't heard before, i've got even less time ti do this, and i get tired even thinking about how much i have to do, and.. well. It will be done though, i promise.

I have some less model related news though; i was watching the terran tech tree that was just released, and i noticed the battlecruiser now has only yamato gun!
That means no missile barrage or defensive matrix on the SC2 version.
I think i will still make those on mine, though.

Level 5
Once again, what's new in the project?
With the Bêta of Starcraft II being cracked and some lucky guys being able to play it without Bêta Key, I'm really looking forward to your model ^^!

Level 22
Hi fingofin, it's really nice to see you working on that again (was about to give up waiting), I myself deleted the old BC from my map expecting to have yours. For the sake of the model, I could make some in-game screenshots of the model (from replays, I'm not a Beta tester :/ ) though maybe you've seen enough and don't need.

The replays have F12 info with unit and its description if you want me to TRY (cause I dont promise it will be of any use) I could provide some info and stuff from SC2 beta and its abilities could be seen by selecting a battlecruiser

Yes, i myself recently discovered a valuable new detail regarding the shape of the front, solving the problem with the underdetailed belly.
If you find any details that you think seem useful for me to know, feel free to post those in this thread.

Now although, i have a very valid excuse for not being able to work on this - the heater has broken down inside my house, and since the temperature outside varies between -20 and -30, the climate indoors is not very fit for work.
Hopefully it will be fixed soon, but till then i live in town, where sadly, i don't have the programs i need for this (i.e. PS3, 3ds max, or even TFT.)

Level 22
Now I have access to playing me vs me, thus can control units. I've made models from games from scratch and my materials for making it 90-100% accurate are: screenshots from all sides, videos for death/spell animations and even sounds.

So I know what may be helpful, I'll PM you when I have them. I'll even look for the DDS texture, I know it's not for TheHive but if you have a custom made texture exactly like the original one, I could use the original just for me. Let me learn the units cause I found that out last night :) Take your time but yeah I hope you are able to do in few weeks

Hmm.. i won't use the .dds, partially because the normal map is not baked into it, thus it won't have any shading and also because it's illegal, but what i'm in most dire need for is a nice recording of the yamato gun firing sequence, and the weapons refit anim. Possibly the death anim.
Sounds are also very welcome.

Level 5
Yes, and the graphics are awesome.

BTW, we can now play versus AI.
These hackers... ruin game. But they're really powerfull.

Level 22
Fingofin, you didnt answer my PM. As I said, both your Battlecruiser and the SC2 M3 one that I just made ready - with some animations, team color and particles, can benefit from the same thing - missile effects.

Do you have someone to create the plasma cannon missiles or I'll request it here? We won't need a Defensive Matrix as it is N/A for that unit. And I think we wont need a yamato since ti is pretty much a fireball (I use Firelord missile), although WillAllMighty could make both very well, I cant make particles that fiery and good as he does.

Level 22
Np. Script, as in model? Custom models attack from the weapon am I right? So wherever your 'Weapon' attachment point is, missile and stuff appear from there? I just finished the BC from beta, team colored, particles and not good animations, very basic.

I dont know how the ability should look though, the BC attacks with several weapons at a time, then stops. Also, there is a new look of the missiles. The pics from 2007 showed the BC with some lasers going thru the enemy, then the missiles I showed you, now they look more fiery and thinner. I will show a pic again, wait.

Also for Yamato, I dont know of a channel, then missile throw spell. I would usually use a normal Firebolt or similar with 5 second delay time to cast but it's not the same.

Level 9
You could always just use cluster rockets or something as the attack. Because it fires several projectiles... Then it has to wait for cooldown.

Last edited:
I'm sorry guys, but i'm pausing this for a while. I just haven't got the will right now, seing how it was possible to just export models from sc2 beta kinda broke my mood.
Although, i think i'm going to send the separate UV-maps to coudwolf later on so that he may skin them one and one, that way, maybe he's results would encourage me into completing this.
Otherwise, i will post the 3ds max file and the mdx incase someone else wants to play with it, but i'm hoping to still complete it myself, it just might take a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.