• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

High-Res Battlecruiser

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 16
Hai! I'm looking for an high-res battlecruiser. From starcraft, just like this one. Just that I want an high-res. http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...-47611/?prev=search=battlecruiser&d=list&r=20
I also know that Callex need one to his Cruiser Command map. I can't say much about my project, because I just started it. But I think many people have use of this. The current battlecruiser is getting really ugly in big sizes.

Level 16
Great! Thanks alot! :D

EDIT: Could you possible add an attack that uses the Yamato Gun?
And make it like the SC2 Battlecruiser?

Battlecruiser Yamato Gun:

Battlecruiser1.jpg

battlecruiser4.jpg

Last edited:
I had thought of making it more like the one in the top picture, to make it more usefull as a generic spaceship and all, but perhaps i can add like an upgrade anim tag where it has the yamato. I think i will start on the mesh today, but i seriously have a lot to do, so i can't promise anything.
Thanks for the images by the way, that was helpful.

I just wanted to write and say i haven't forgotten about your model. The mesh is nearly complete, and i will post wip's as soon as it's textured.

It will be a precise replica of the new sc2 battlecruiser model (the first of the pictures) and i'm going to include all the different upgrade modes as follows:
the Yamato gun, defensive matrix and missile pods upgrade.

It's going to kick ass.

Level 9
True. However, project revolution doesn't freely share and just a bottom isn't always good enough. Add to that the fact that project revolution interprets models differently - they differ a lot from the SC1 models.

Regardless, my model will be more useful for warcraft.
But project revolution has one awesome texture artist!

unfortunately, i can only work properly on weekends, but i'm still expecting this to be done before christmas. Consider it my present for you.

EDIT: i will also include an animation for when the cruiser upgrades, so that it wont just pop into a new ship.

I've been kinda lazy/busy and haven't quite finished the skin yet, but just for teazors i can upload a WIP of the mesh:
attachment.php

Note that it's not quite finished yet, and the "head" part is going to be reworked, but perhaps you'll get an idea on how it's going to turn out.

Attachments

• BattleCruiser.png
    BattleCruiser.png
    120.7 KB · Views: 3,280
Level 22
Oh my gosh, awesome! I'll also rep you when it's done because since long ago I'm using Max666's BC beta and I wanted to have BC, Medivac Dropship look like SC2 ones, as some kind of upgrade with time :)

I'd like to use that too, to GGfy the old looking BCruiser. Well made mesh btw. Honestly I think for such nice quality, you should be happy it is 200 KB and not more...As if it matters when you can have 8 MB map. 200KB imported model doesn't increase map size by 200KB. Oh I can't wait to have this :p

think of all the minutes wasted for downloading it though >.<

350kb translates to about 10 secs with bnets download speed, figure atleast 6 people download the map per game (this should be enough to account seeders, and people with the map, if its 12 players, but doesnt take into account everyone who leaves cause the long DL) thats a minute.. per game
asuming your game is hosted atleast 24 times (averaging 10 players per host) ... thats 4 hours, of time, spent waiting on the battlecruiser (not to mention the rest of your map)

just because the map limit is now 8 meg, doesnt mean you should use it...
(i try to keep my maps under .5 mb)
I would suggest saving the 8 megs for campaign maps, and/or very popular maps that people will download on their own time from a server
just my opinion though :), and if it enhances game play that much, it may be worth it.

even if this 4 hrs is spread out over 240 people, its still 4 hours wasted
in the end its up to you to decide if the resource is worth the wait though, and its up to your pupils to agree if the map is (and if so spread it)

Keep in mind that the model only has to be downloaded once. After that, he map is saved in your warcraft directory. Second, the model is compressed to about 1/2-2/3 size after map compilation.
Third, you're assuming that each player has to download it one at a time, instead of all at the same time.
You should also not count the model size in total, but the ammount of size it excedes a normal warcraft model!
If someone needs a battlecruiser, they wont use the goblin zeppelin. They will take either some other custom model with about 200kb size, or they can use this.
My broadband supports up to about 200kb/s. That means this model is downloaded in less than 2 seconds, and then i have it. The difference of about 150kb is then downloaded in 3/4 sec. So it's up to you if you want to let people wait that long.

Soon it's christmas break. That will give me lots of extra time.
I have now completed the meshes needed for the yamato gun upgrade and the missile pod upgrade. Defensive matrix will mostly be a texture difference.
The model is currently 215kb in size. To that i will add a few anims, texture and particles. I believe it will go below the expected 350kb, depending on how large you want the texture to be. Oficcial release will be in 512x512, due to the fact that it's called "high res BC". If you change it to 256 it will go down to half size though.

Level 22
Defensive Matrix ON? It's just a geosphere. Now seriously, any enthusiast that wants to do the abilities of the BC? Like 90-100% accuracy with the actual SC2 abilities? I could do but I haven't even seen what the abilities are like, how the Yamato and the lasers look like, how the missiles are launched and look like, what damage and how many targets they do.

326_md.jpg

Level 22
This could be even a specific Spell Name Animation, if the matrix is added to an animation of the model it will increase the model size but not that much. It's just a geosphere. Modelers will decide.

I was actually asking about how these abilities will look like in the Object Editor and if someone has more accurate ideas to what it really is in SC2 BC

Yamato Gun - Firebolt with Firelord missile animation, 0.01s stun, 3s casting time, XX damage amount, buff animation removed - this doesnt do channeling, so not good enough.
DM: Manashield with 200 dmg absorbation
Missile Pod: Like cluster rockets but no stun buff, targets air? Well, Cluster rocket's won't fit. But WILL THE ALMIGHTY already has rockets.

Dr super good has an excellent jass defensive matrix in one of his spellpacks, it works exactly like the regular defensive matrix and is very user friendly. Though ofcourse, i dont know wether the SC2 version is the same as the old one, or more like the mana shield.

In the event that i make a defensive matrix, wich is likely, i will release it as a separate model.
Do you want me to make a spell channel animation for the yamato gun? Or is it just spell slam? (I', talking about the anim name)

Here's the progress right now:
attachment.php

It's in yamato gun mode. Some parts are white in the image since i had to apply materials to them to start making the texture layout.
This model includes so many details that i have to screenprint the wrap pieces and paste them into PS to puzzle them toghether so that i may use maximum space.
That piston inside will be replaced with the yamato core seen ingame later on.

Attachments

• BCruiserYamato.png
    BCruiserYamato.png
    160.3 KB · Views: 495
Status
Not open for further replies.