• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

High Poly Models

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 45
Currently I'm making a Seal Dragon from a concept i'm making (still a wip one). I wish for CONSTRUCTIVE comments please, not silly spam ones like "5/5" or "cool" or "bleh", i really want to improve on this area so don't worry if you think I will take offense.

The process I use is:
Make basic mesh in max (possibly with mesh smooth layer as shown in these images)
Unwrap
Texture basic colors
Sculpt in Mud box
Texture Detail
Export to max
Clean up
Render

Here is the Concept:

And here is what i have done so far:

Alittle more on his main body:

K, unwrap and base model mesh is done ,now to base colour and sculpt.

a wip of the the model in mudbox, trying to focus on the muscles first, iv done the side of the head and partially finished the wing/arms.

If your wondering what i'm aim for, here is a sample of one of my other high poly models and its process (this ins't a gallery, just to give you an idea):

Last edited:
Level 15
Don't mind me cussing but...HOLY SHIT how did you model the head so well?
I'm just starting to model in Gmax and don't even know How to make Models ready to use in WC or how to use WC textures. Could you plz tell me somthing or at least lead me in the right direction. What were all the programs you used to make this? So much detail. I know you couldn't have made this from just moving around verticies..or could you..? What'd you make this for? To use in WC? Wouldn't that be to complex? To many polys or somthin. I don't know how many polys would be to much for a model in WC..
I do know how to make models in Gmax tho and add bones and skin them.

Level 45
Err... you should have sent me a pm..

anyway, i use max 8 to model, i use the box modeling method since i find its the fastest and one of the cleanest methods.

Box modeling is when you start off with a box, you cut and bevel faces to create a form or shape and you expand on that. The seal dragon and monster head were both made from a box.
I then export to obj. and use mudbox to sculpt.

I then convert back and render, i still need to learn how to make displacement(and normal?) maps. (dunno if they are the same).

and these are going on turbo squid all these models, once i get the tax file form filled out (somehow?) ill be able to sell them using my back account and receiving the money via cheque (thats if i ever get anything..but meh)

These are not for wc3 and they contain at least 100k polies, the seal dragon will have an estimate of about 500k maybe, so ill try to change it to a displacement map on one of the lower levels.

EDIT: oh..and I use paintshop pro 10 to texture the models and I unwrap them in max.

Level 8
Its not very noticeable at first glance (im not trying to force you to be a total perfectionist or anything) but imo the tail seems a tad short and the neck a tad long, in the concept art the neck is almost nonexistent.

Really nice models. But for the seal dragon, why is his eye socket pushed inward? I would expect it to be outward to look more as if it regular eyes instead of some gutted in.

@Scyth-Master: 3ds-Max 8 to model + unwrap, Milkshape to animate, and Paint Shop Pro 10 to texture the models.

I like the detail and thought put into it. I don't have any suggestions to improve this. Good job.

btw: Is the seal dragon supposed to have feet?

Because it's an eye socket? As in "insert eye here"?

Well, I didn't actually expect her to actually create an actual eyeball afterwards and stick it in there. But if she does, then it all makes sense. Just so ya know, that is a possibility I took into consideration. But hey, I didn't have any expectations of her editing the model. :wink:

Level 2
I think you should lose the ears, they make the head look a tad to wide. Also elongate the tail and make it a bit bigger. Other than that its great!

Status
Not open for further replies.