• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

High poly from low poly steps ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really. I once tried it but was too lazy to finish. The idea is that you weld the vertices and start cutting the model around and adding detail. You may have to remake some meshes and rethink how glows will show in sc2. You may also need to remake some meshes and parts of the unwrap some time. About textures, you may also need to make the textures a bit more serious and increase their resolution with some extra details. Concerning normal maps, you can either make a very detailed high poly version of the model and render it from it, ur use a normal map creator from the texture. About animating, you should remake the unwrap and have some vertices a bit more unbalanced to stretch better.

It's a lot of work at the end, but can really pay off if done correctly.

Level 17
How about if I export the low poly mesh as obj and start modelling on it in Zbrush or Sculptris, make a normal map from that and that way I could reduce the poly count but still be higher than Wc3 basically ? Wouldn't it look weird modelling something so low poly in a program like that cause from what I saw it automatically re-arranges triangles on the mesh.

Level 18
There was a tool called WarForger that could perform subdividion of a mesh or part of a mesh. I do not know if it's still on WC3C where I found it. Basically you select a mesh, part of one or even one face, click on a button called, I think, "divide edge" and the mesh is subdivided. However, I'm not sure how the wrap and the normals turn out, but that is not a problem with most Warcraft 3 editing tools. Also, the newly created vertices lie in the plane of the triangle which contains them.

EDIT: I found the program. It does work, but do not make the mistake to select a whole mesh and hit Divide Edge. Then it tends to divide symmetrical parts of the mesh ina different way, which is... ugly and may cause problems.

Attachments

• WarForger0.80.zip
    195.4 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
How about if I export the low poly mesh as obj and start modelling on it in Zbrush or Sculptris, make a normal map from that and that way I could reduce the poly count but still be higher than Wc3 basically ? Wouldn't it look weird modelling something so low poly in a program like that cause from what I saw it automatically re-arranges triangles on the mesh.

Sadly Sc2 normal maps are very optimized when rendered. So they are not enogh detail. You'll have to edit the normal mesh, anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.