• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

HeroOrc_Marauder

Meele orc hero.

Body scratch made, head edited from orcwarlock. Animations from wow orc.

You might need to scale it a bit in the we.

Have fun :)

Update: Changed the dagger, filled missing gaps, added a belt.

Update: Changed the weapons, edited his head, fixed the clipping and made him more awesome.

Update: Made his head smaller.

Keywords:
Orc, Proxy, Orc Marauder, Meele,
Contents

HeroOrc_Marauder (Model)

HeroOrc_Marauder (Model)

Reviews
13:05, 9th Apr 2013 Misha: I'm not that sure, but it looks to me that his weapons do clip through his neck and head in several animations. and also his head could use being smaller, and having a lil more pronounced chin. same for the portrait his...

M

13:05, 9th Apr 2013
Misha: I'm not that sure, but it looks to me that his weapons do clip through his neck and head in several animations. and also his head could use being smaller, and having a lil more pronounced chin. same for the portrait

his head is still rather large, orcs should be having a lill smaller heads comparing to the body, check out hulk, even though he's an extreme exaggeration :p
and those weapons clip with themselves and the pauldron somewhat

excellent, awesome, approved :]

Level 16
Seriously? Why does he have a dagger wen he doesn't use it??
Second the pants/boddy conection looks atleast weird, add a belt maybe.
Beside, good idea and exectution.

Level 14
Very well made animations. You should make the lower jaw bigger it is going to make him look more threatening and more orcy and pull up his pants he looks like some street rapper. Also since he obviously stabs with the axe during the attack slam animation add some sort of spike to the top of the axe.
You could try adding some tattoos on his back and arms, I can explain how if you dont know.

Noticed that there are some bones that are not used, you overlooked the attachment points, his feet have no soils(dont know if that is the right word - I mean that there are holes at the bottom of his feet) and there is a missing triangle at the top part of each of his boots.

Second the pants/boddy conection looks atleast weird, add a belt maybe.
yeah, a belt or sash would rly be necessary for a better connection. Right now it looks a bit like someone amputated his original lower body and just glued pants in its place (i don't want to insult you, or put your work down, but the divide between upper body and pelvis/loin is not all to fitting). :vw_sad: Maybe a red sash like the Bloodsail Swabby's does the trick. :wink:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Weird.

Cool face. Biggest problem for me (without downloading) is that he just doesn't look "impressive" enough to be a hero. Needs some extra "something". Blademaster has big samurai flag, Paladin has cape & hammer & book, Lich has flowy tattered gown, Warden has bladed dress & shoulders & glaive/chakram... Eh?

Level 51
Thanks for the feedback guys.

I've filled the gaps in the model and added a belt.

I've also turned the dagger around and turned it into a sword of some sorts. Looks way better now IMO and you can clearly see that attack animation 3 attacks with the sword.

@WhiteDeath: I guess I would make tattoos with simple planes, but the way you ask you have a better method? I was always sick of the fiddling with the planes.

@Kyrbi0: You're right, I was thinking about that too, but I was yet not able to find a solution.

Level 14
Well the way I would do the tattoos is you select the part of the body(the vertexes) where the tattoo will be, you copy the vertexes and you separate the coped vertexes as a new geoset, you make a new material for the tattoos(let say using the Gul'dan blood runes texture transparent or blend) and you give the above mentioned geoset that material, than you rewrap i to fit the rune and erase any triangles and vertexes that are unused.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Ah, already much better.

Yeah, sorry for my terse previous post; I actually rather like this, as there is a surprising dearth of good, creative Orcish melee warriors; they all seem to use the Grunt or Raider face, with simple bases... Meh. This is rather creative. Would be interesting to see something with this base with a Shaman-istic bent (wolf-skin or claws or somesuch), sort of a Beta "Spirit Walker" hero.

@Kyrbi0: You're right, I was thinking about that too, but I was yet not able to find a solution.
Well, what it boils down to is "what is he"? What exactly do you mean by "Marauder", what does he do, what role does he fill in combat? Is there any particular thing (real-life or otherwise) upon which you drew inspiration in designing & creating him?

i.e. My Jungle Troll "Headshrinker" hero is sort of like a hero-tier Witch Doctor, so I wanted him with a bubbling cauldron on his back & a shrunken head in hand.
The Orcish Blademaster, being heavily inspired by the real-world "Samurai" concept, has the beard, the baubled-necklace, the super-long sword, the neat flag-banner, the sandals & lack of shirt... Etc.

So is this Marauder like a literal "marauding Orc", as in a brutish, ravaging warrior? Alright, then spikes, flags, skulls, (perhaps a bit overused) might fit. Is he instead a "marauder" in the sense of a (real-life) Pirate? Then perhaps hint at it (not too overt) with a firearm/holster, a peg-leg, ship's rigging wrapped across shoulders, gold tooth, unique hat, back-barrel of rum... (making this all up).

Sounded better in my head. But thoughts?

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Does not compute.

Alright, alright, fair enough; Google Image Search has proved me wrong. That's probably just a part of his Orcish heritage, then.

Still, the thought persists; Warcraft has been described as a "game of exaggerations" (by me, just now xD). The Dwarves are all Scottish, the Trolls are all Jamaican, the Elves are all pansy magicians, and the Orcs are all spikes'n'warfare. Weapons & armor are all oversized, and the army of a faction isn't really a "generic" representation of that race; symbolism and extremes abound.

Make this Marauder, man.

Love the eye-patch. Maybe that's where the "pirate" idea came from...

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
You know, I think it was the eyepatch that really made me lean this way... But I am thinking more and more that this would be a schweet base to the most awexome Orcish "Pirate King" (Marauder) hero. I mean, that's really an un-tapped resource (both Orcish heroes & Pirates (don't give me none of this "but Proudmoore" garbage; everyone knows he's no proper Pirate. :p)), and Orcs are a great race for it, and this guy is already so well-built for it (not bulky and heavily-muscled, but lithe and destructive)...

Totally. Tattoos, hand-cannons, a seriously-textured pirate's Cutlass... Maybe you can stash a Bandolier of flares to his chest, or strap a big Ship's Wheel/Helm to his back (ooooh). Gosh, this could be really cool. Eh?

Level 51
You know, I think it was the eyepatch that really made me lean this way... But I am thinking more and more that this would be a schweet base to the most awexome Orcish "Pirate King" (Marauder) hero. I mean, that's really an un-tapped resource (both Orcish heroes & Pirates (don't give me none of this "but Proudmoore" garbage; everyone knows he's no proper Pirate. :p)), and Orcs are a great race for it, and this guy is already so well-built for it (not bulky and heavily-muscled, but lithe and destructive)...

Totally. Tattoos, hand-cannons, a seriously-textured pirate's Cutlass... Maybe you can stash a Bandolier of flares to his chest, or strap a big Ship's Wheel/Helm to his back (ooooh). Gosh, this could be really cool. Eh?

Thanks man. I was thinking about myself if I should go to the pirate direction but was rather against it. But your ideas are really cool and shape a picture in my mind. I'll go for this.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Hmm a wheel like helmet, doesnt it sound a biit too much like Shiki from one piece?
No idea. Who cares! It's cool.

JokeMaster said:
Maybe a throwing knife belt?
Yeah, sure. Knife-throwing is Pirate-y, right?

~~
Also, instead of an annoyingly-colorful Parrot on his Shoulder, perhaps a little baby Wyvern or Warhawk or something. :p

I'll be thinking about animations... Not sure exactly what this guy should be/do, but I'm thinkin' Siege & Plunder...

Names... "Marauder" is great, but I already have it used & so if I want it in my stuff, I'm gonna need another...
Pirate - Marauder - Buccaneer - Corsair... Ooh, "Bloodsail Buccaneer" isn't too shabby.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Ah, looking better still. The weapons are clearer, the head is nice (large, but I envision a big-chinned Orc as a Pirate), and overall grizzly. Still gonna definitely need something on the back to give him a more 'heroic' presence, but coming along.
Glad to see your still modelling. : )

Level 1
If anyones willing to model it i have an epic sketch of a hero i would like someone to make....u can take all the cred just mention i designed it

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
If anyones willing to model it i have an epic sketch of a hero i would like someone to make....u can take all the cred just mention i designed it
There are plenty of up-and-coming modellers around here... More importantly, you're best bet is not to ask for someone to model it, but draw the art itself and, if it's interesting enough, modellers will choose to model it. :p A "Skullbent's Art Thread" is a great place for that; for now, I'll take this conversation off of this topic, though.