• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hero Spell Learning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
In your opinion what is the best way to learn spells for heros?

In my ORPG you will either use the Hero Abilities Button and buy spells in spell books which will come in a specific order, or you could either learn them in sequence, or buy tomes to learn specific spells.

Ideas:

1. Learn spell books with the normal Warcraft 3 way
2. Spell books with specific class order(when you level up you learn skills)
3. Buying skills
4. Text learning (typing what skills you would like to learn)
5. Techtree Skills

Could be added to all: All spells learned stay rank 1, and you buy rank 2, etc.

Last edited:
Level 10
I agree with Super-Sheep but normal wc3 way is used all the time (duh) :xxd: But a more original way is that you could use dialogs that gives you two options defensive offensive. There will be diffrent bonuses for each level. Lets say you pick defensive first you get Block as a spell then your second choice is offensive you will get Thrust but if you would have chosen offensive for your first you wouldn't have gotten thrust but slice and thrust if you would have taken offensive for your second choice again (could also give some sort of other bonuses like armor or damage bonus) i'll try to explain in aa more simple way. :cute:

If you have lvl cap at 50 (speculating) you would have 50 bonuses for both offensive and defensive and every level of both will have the exact same skills what ever path you choose to take if your lvl 40 offensive is a huge damage bonus it will be a huge damage bonus no matter how you have chosen to mix your offensive/defensive choices. I hope you understand what i mean.

Level 8
Void, thank you once again for the awesome suggestion I was thinking about something like that for something else in my game, but I have never thought about it for skills. I may end up using that in my game, but modified to make each class its original job. eg (priest is healer, warrior is tank, etc) I know I didnt explain that every well.

Off Topic: Void your picture is... wow

Level 8
Thats an awesome idea blooddancer, I was going to make a really complicated system for it. But when I was triggering it I got frustrated and lost from the start but its very similar to that. It would have been you learn skillbooks and then every level you get different spells based on how high the level of the skillbook was, but it was very difficult to trigger. With the method that you posted I could have a limited number of upgrades to skills for each hero to make it even more personalized. This could also frustrate people I'm thinking of having the option to respec every time the map is reloaded to reduce the save/load code which maybe extremely long.

Status
Not open for further replies.