• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Help with mechanics regarding attack types

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Hello

On one of my maps I added a second attack type to the Blood Mage. This second attack type is a Magic Type attack and not a Hero attack.

I've done this so the Blood Mage can auto attack whatever he banished.

How much Magic Damage should the Blood Mage do so that he deals the same amount of magic damage as he does Hero damage?

Level 13
How much Magic Damage should the Blood Mage do so that he deals the same amount of magic damage as he does Hero damage?
It's not as simple as that, the end damage is always dependant on armor type vs damage type so you can't really have a unit with 2 attack types deal the same damage with both attacks on all units, you have to compromise a bit and go for the damage range you think fits best.

Alternatively you could change the gameplay constants so Hero damage and Magic damage have the same effect on the same armor types but it's not a good solution if you want to stick with standard mechanics, you can change the damage values on armor in here:
1647289046622.png

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 63
His Magic attack will deal 66% more damage to Ethereal units.

Level 13
I don't fully understand the table. Am I right in thinking that magic damage for Blood Mage should be Hero Damage * 1.25?
Magic damage deals more damage to Heavy and Small armor but less to Medium and Fortified than Hero damage, although Fortified units usually are mechanicals and structures and you cannot make those ethereal through normal abilities. Then you have to take into account that Magic damage is 66% more on ethereal units as Uncle reminded us so I would make it a lower number than its usual Hero damage but nothing drastic.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.