• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Help Please with MDX bug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Hey everyone! I recently came back from a break to work on my map, and when I opened it in WE, all my imported files were replaced with green/black cubes.
1669942039401.png

I checked "Assests Manager", but I don't know why this happened or how I can fix. Maybe I imported some corrupt files or something? Is there a way to fix it without deleting all imported files, since I have so many, and majority of them from old russian and chinese long gone forums, I don't wanna risk losing them. Everything worked perfectly until the last time I was working on the map.

Level 5
Hmm, not sure, I don't even remember what I was doing last time when I was working on the map. Do you know is there a way to fix this somehow?

Level 5
Yes, all of these models worked perfectly, but I just came back today, opened the map and now all imported files are green cubes. I will try your method, but if anyone else have any suggestions, please let me know.
Edit: tried your method @Gnuoy, but unfortunately didn't work. The models do not appear in game when I load the map, but show as green cubes in WE.

Last edited:
Level 28
Hey everyone! I recently came back from a break to work on my map, and when I opened it in WE, all my imported files were replaced with green/black cubes.
View attachment 414855

I checked "Assests Manager", but I don't know why this happened or how I can fix. Maybe I imported some corrupt files or something? Is there a way to fix it without deleting all imported files, since I have so many, and majority of them from old russian and chinese long gone forums, I don't wanna risk losing them. Everything worked perfectly until the last time I was working on the map.
Do you remember your recent imported files before the last time you saved the map? If so try to delete them and see if that fixes the issue.
Are your imports still intact in size or did they all turn to 0kb?
Do you still have a backup of your map? If I remember correctly World Editor creates a backup of your map somwhere, but I don't know exactly where.

If you have NOT testplayed your map with broken models, you might have a "backup" of last test-played version in your windows-user in the appdata-folder. I believe it is in:
c:\Users\<YOUR USERNAME>\AppData\Local\Temp\Maps\Test\WorldEditTestMap.w3x

Of course it is a good idea to keep backups with different file-names.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
This usually happens if all the imports become corrupt (0 kb). In that case you would need to revert to a backup or re-import all the models again.

Since it is now possible to save maps as folders and use that to bulk import models I recommend saving a copy of all your models in a folder structure that mimics the import paths. This way if the corruption happens again you can trivially fix it with a copy and paste file system operation.

Yeah there is basically a map editor bug that causes this to randomly happen to maps, sometimes. You are not the first user with the issue, and you will likely not be the last.

Another place to look for backups is the folder "Documents/Warcraft III/JassHelper/backups" or something similar to that if I recall.

I and others posted more suggestions to this exact same problem in other threads:

Status
Not open for further replies.