• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Help on extracting war3map.w3e?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
I can find all sorts of info on the structure within the w3e for tileset information, but I can't find anything on how to extract the w3e file itself. Is there a tool for this?

I'm wanting to convert some wc3 maps into something that i can use for age of empires 2, and also possibly i'll convert the terrain to a mesh or something just for fun.

Any information would be helpful, thanks.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Last edited:
Level 1
Thanks, I got something thrown together quick. It also seemed easier to use the pathmap instead of terrin data. I had no idea the map sizes were so large. When I'm done I'll probably link to the code, hopefully I can make it faster by then.

RhK3apt.jpg

I've been using a "custom castle defense" map for practice for this entire thing. Tree positions are really wonky, I expected them to be placed according to some grid, but there's a lot that are suspiciously arranged. Maybe the unique id for each doodad can be used to remove everything else besides the trees. I don't know the ids, so I might have to just make an empty map filled with all the varieties of trees to get them.

White = buildable/walkable, Grey = unbuildable/walkable, Black = unbuildable/unwalkable, Green = trees (probably other doodads too?)

castlemap.jpg

wc3map.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.