• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Help me downgrade my WC3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 23
I'm not sure if they're still available, but when Blizzard first let you tie your WC3 keys to a Battle.Net account, they offered downloadable installers. I've still got a backup of them from v1.24, plus I've got an offline copy of the v1.26 patch installer.
(And, well, I also still have my original CD copies. :ogre_hurrhurr:)

So, your best bet is to reinstall an old base version, then patch up to where you want to be. Caveat: you can't log into Battle.Net or play multiplayer, but hey, all my fave maps were offline anyway. :ogre_haosis:

Here's a link to the v1.26 patch: http://ftp.blizzard.com/pub/war3x/patches/pc/War3TFT_126a_English.exe
As for the offline installers, if the patch is still floating around I'll wager they're still out there somewhere.

Level 2
Pretty much what the two posts say, you CAN find legacy installers and load them up that way, you'll need your CD key though, assuming Blizzard didn't revoke your own somehow. There's a trick to it that lets you also get the Mac and non English versions too but that would have to be via PM, probably can't post it via forum.

For multiplayer, either a LAN setup like Gameranger or a Private Server for battle.net is what you want, as long as it's lower than 1.28.5, higher than that and your SOL.

Level 11
You cant.

Only way is to download an illegal copy.
Oh really now? I had 1.30 saved as backup. A legally purchased and downloaded version. People sharing links here did the same. You can download those versions, and use your license keys to activate the game. What is illegal about it? Do not spread misinformation.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
Oh really now? I had 1.30 saved as backup. A legally purchased and downloaded version. People sharing links here did the same. You can download those versions, and use your license keys to activate the game. What is illegal about it? Do not spread misinformation.

I use the word "illegal" loosely, as I don't assume you have a close friend that can send you an old version.
What most people would have to do is go to a third party website such as piratebay and download it from there, which feels like piracy to me.
Even if you use your own key it still feels sketchy to me to do it that way.

"Software piracy is the illegal copying, distribution, or use of software."
So even if you use some version from a "non-pirate site" it is technically still illegal distribution. Not that you'd have the FBI knocking on your door, but still.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Even if you use your own key it still feels sketchy to me to do it that way.
To you is unimportant. It's not legal as long as you are using original/bought keys and are not selling or making copies of the game.
It's called obsolete not illegal used loosely.
"Software piracy is the illegal copying, distribution, or use of software."
Well, we're not doing either of that. Using a distributed version doesn't make you the pirate but the one who uploaded it. You're using it with a legal CD-key.

Well, we're not doing either of that. Using a distributed version doesn't make you the pirate but the one who uploaded it. You're using it with a legal CD-key.
You said it deep, it may sound harsh but piracy is still involved in it - even if it is a legal copy or not as long as the copy is distributed by someone else it is piracy - it doesn't matter if you own a legit CD keys or not. Blizzard's no longer distributing these older copies because like you said it's now obsolete, and the only legit copy we can have now is the version we download in the Battlenet since it is the official copy distributed by Blizzard.

Just let the community decide which versions do they prefer to make maps in, Hive hosts any maps made in any versions anyway.

Last edited:
Level 11
isnt reforge is downgraded enough?
Well yes, that's precisely why it's worthwhile to just get older patches. They have better performance, less bugs, actually working custom games and custom campaigns. Even online game is perfectly possible, just not through bnet. A better question would be - why would anyone play Reforged at this stage.

Level 4
As a good supporter of Austro-libertarian Ethics and Economics, and I'm also an enthusiast of anarchocapitalism. I see no reason for arguments of authorship or hysterical appeals against piracy, in some time this will end.
The young man who, at the time, unlocked the CD-ROM left such a great legacy and did good for humanity at levels of market and freedom much greater than any measure created by a bureaucratic politician scribble who lives to belch good words and morals in public.
There is no property that is not scarce. Ideologies, memories, music, arts, videos and information are not scarce goods, therefore, they are not natural properties or heritage. Intellectual right is not a legitimate property or a good to declare any aggression, it even becomes authoritarian to appropriate it! You can validate the credits and give rewards to the authors, yes, but this should be given naturally when a work is really recognized for its efforts and all its quality will be remembered. It just won't be recognized by stupid people. A poorly done work can even be reproduced again by third parties, but it will not be recognized even by the most grateful.
Every year it becomes impossible to block or maintain any control, it will even be the merit for what was best done and the gratification to the authors who will support. All these causes will only work if they are recognized, provided financially, in order to continue building the meeting of great teams to keep the development of good and real games. People must create every day the culture of buying or donating as a way of encouraging the efforts of immaterials artists, not delegating this moral act and respect to a scarecrow of morality created by laws or coercive decrees of an authoritarian government, you are creating a culture of fear and appropriation by dark means.
I wouldn't buy Reforged myself, I'm not a regular Battle.net user and I tend to be more entertained with campaigns and singleplayer maps, in addition to Blizzard's lack of greater commitment to delivering a more innovative game. And if anyone liked the models, we already have all the Reforged models in "SD". But I bought Reforged because I thought it was very fair to help encourage Wc3 to progress and for some reason, the team deserved my money on account of the good work in delivering a new graphics engine, good new UI and yes, the visual style of the new models pleased me, too deserved for these accomplishments. And knowing the quality of the team and that they will be able to continue creating more updates or in the future develop a new WC3, I really want to help.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.